Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 9:19 pm

Gee, is there anything that Russia, and President Vladimir Putin specifically, isn't involved in? He must have supernatural powers of some kind, like a D.C. Comics villain. Speaking of D.C...

I didn't even waste my time reading the article, because it is, after all, 'The Washington Post', and they don't exactly have an honourable reputation when it comes to the accurate reporting of the facts. Life is too short to waste on absurd accusations that have no basis in reality.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 9:27 pm

Okay, I didn't resist the temptation, and I read it after all.

Quote:
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said on the House floor Friday that he believes the North Korea sanctions bill, which the House passed in May on a 419 to 1 vote, “should be added” to the legislation increasing sanctions against Russia and Iran.

Why are there sanctions in place against Russia and Iran again? The accusation is that the Iranians are in the process of developing nuclear weapons, which is rather odd coming from the nation that actually invented the A-bomb, used it twice against civilians, and currently has thousands of them, but why Russia? Is it because President Putin refuses to allow his country to be annexed, divided, and impoverished by the forces pushing for 'globalisation'?

By the way, the Israeli's have nuclear weapons. Why are there not sanctions in place against them? They are reputed to have around 200 of them. Why is no one discussing this?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 9:39 pm

Lintar wrote:
By the way, the Israeli's have nuclear weapons. Why are there not sanctions in place against them? They are reputed to have around 200 of them. Why is no one discussing this?

The first nuclear weapon was detonated in 1945, by the United States. In 1970, most of the world agreed to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which forbids any new countries from developing nuclear weapons. In that 25-year window (between 1945-70), every major world power developed a nuclear weapon: the Soviet Union, United Kingdom, France and China. They were joined by exactly one other country: Israel.

I think that answers that question...

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:

The first nuclear weapon was detonated in 1945, by the United States. In 1970, most of the world agreed to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which forbids any new countries from developing nuclear weapons. In that 25-year window (between 1945-70), every major world power developed a nuclear weapon: the Soviet Union, United Kingdom, France and China. They were joined by exactly one other country: Israel.

I think that answers that question...

How does it answer the question? You haven't answered it. This link:

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Israel/Isrhist.html

states, "An open question remains regarding what role Israel had (if any) in the 22 September 1979 nuclear explosion in the south Indian Ocean which is widely believed to be a SA-Israel joint test." This is believed by many to have been their first such test, placing them outside the 1945-1970 timeline you mention above for the non-proliferation treaty.

In any case, there are other nations (ex. India, Pakistan) that clearly tested their first such device after 1970, and yet no one seems to care about those nations either. Why the double-standards, why the hypocrisy?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 11:45 pm

Lintar wrote:

How does it answer the question? You haven't answered it. This link:

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Israel/Isrhist.html

states, "An open question remains regarding what role Israel had (if any) in the 22 September 1979 nuclear explosion in the south Indian Ocean which is widely believed to be a SA-Israel joint test." This is believed by many to have been their first such test, placing them outside the 1945-1970 timeline you mention above for the non-proliferation treaty.

The non-proliferation treaty prohibits countries after 1970 from starting nuclear weapons programs

Lintar wrote:
In any case, there are other nations (ex. India, Pakistan) that clearly tested their first such device after 1970, and yet no one seems to care about those nations either. Why the double-standards, why the hypocrisy?

I think you answered your own question. The only reason action was taken against Iraq, Iran and now North Korea was because they pose a risk to global stability/terrorism. India certainly does not. Pakistan is debatable but currently is an ally. Israel is a geopolitical ally.