Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

North1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2017, 4:14 pm

If you looked at the evidence at hand and came to a logical conclusion then I imagine you probably can / could. I don't think that is malicious or an attempt to deliberately deceive etc. I suppose it depends on where you go and whome you see but the assessment tends to be pretty thorough and should help get to the bottom of it all.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 5:18 pm

North1 wrote:
If you looked at the evidence at hand and came to a logical conclusion then I imagine you probably can / could. I don't think that is malicious or an attempt to deliberately deceive etc. I suppose it depends on where you go and whome you see but the assessment tends to be pretty thorough and should help get to the bottom of it all.

Thanks North1 , I hope I don't get some dufus who says I am autistic due some other thing that appears like it or vice versa

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 9:15 pm

I don't think it is easy to subconsciously fake symptoms (I do not think that is possible), but you could trick yourself, especially if you're a hypochondriac :wink: . That's why I doubt my diagnosis sometimes, since I think I have every other disorder on the planet as well. I do see some differences, though. Partially the fact that I don't mind having ASD, and while hypochondria comes into play when I obsessively check symptoms, there are some things you just can't fake. Particularly sensory issues and social difficulties. I had experienced symptoms before I looked them up as well. If that is the case, it isn't done with any negative intent or a way to gain something. You are always welcome here, with or without autism. Heck, now I'm doubting my own diagnosis, even though I have enough symptoms and if you show them by history, that counts too! So, could you be tricking yourself- maybe. Hypochondria/OCD + autism is really hard to figure out, so I wish you luck (if you ever get) an assessment :D !

Look at me, I said I wouldn't be posting here anymore! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

North1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2017, 8:56 am

SaveFerris wrote:

Thanks North1 , I hope I don't get some dufus who says I am autistic due some other thing that appears like it or vice versa

Try not to worry as more than likely you will be attending somewhere that deals with Autism assessments / support day in day out so they will be pretty clued up about it all and they'll know what to look out for, what leads to follow and what other conditions may present similar to Autism etc.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:39 pm

North1 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Try not to worry as more than likely you will be attending somewhere that deals with Autism assessments / support day in day out so they will be pretty clued up about it all and they'll know what to look out for, what leads to follow and what other conditions may present similar to Autism etc.

Telling me not to worry is like telling water not to be wet :lol: Hopefully I get a clued up individual.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I don't think it is easy to subconsciously fake symptoms (I do not think that is possible), but you could trick yourself, especially if you're a hypochondriac :wink: . That's why I doubt my diagnosis sometimes, since I think I have every other disorder on the planet as well. I do see some differences, though. Partially the fact that I don't mind having ASD, and while hypochondria comes into play when I obsessively check symptoms, there are some things you just can't fake. Particularly sensory issues and social difficulties. I had experienced symptoms before I looked them up as well. If that is the case, it isn't done with any negative intent or a way to gain something. You are always welcome here, with or without autism. Heck, now I'm doubting my own diagnosis, even though I have enough symptoms and if you show them by history, that counts too! So, could you be tricking yourself- maybe. Hypochondria/OCD + autism is really hard to figure out, so I wish you luck (if you ever get) an assessment :D !

Hypochondria/OCD + autism + something else sounds like a good fit :D then again I can make myself fit most disorders :roll:
Hope you enjoyed your break from here :lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:49 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Hypochondria/OCD + autism + something else sounds like a good fit :D then again I can make myself fit most disorders :roll:
Hope you enjoyed your break from here :lol:

And you've probably researched every single disorder :D ! For me, it's OCD/hypochondria, ASD, and traits of ADHD/Tourette's as well as some depression and derealization/depersonalization caused by the OCD. I sure hope I don't have psychosis! I have just realized that my paranoid thoughts have almost gone completely away. Wow! Now that I thought about them they will probably come back :lol: !

My "break" didn't even exist :lol: !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

And you've probably researched every single disorder :D ! For me, it's OCD/hypochondria, ASD, and traits of ADHD/Tourette's as well as some depression and derealization/depersonalization caused by the OCD. I sure hope I don't have psychosis! I have just realized that my paranoid thoughts have almost gone completely away. Wow! Now that I thought about them they will probably come back :lol: !

Of course I've researched :lol: That's awesome news about your anxious thoughts , getting back into a routine should really sort your mind out. I watched a TV programme this evening on OCD and could identify with most of the people on it except for the physical compulsions :roll:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:27 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Of course I've researched :lol: That's awesome news about your anxious thoughts , getting back into a routine should really sort your mind out. I watched a TV programme this evening on OCD and could identify with most of the people on it except for the physical compulsions :roll:

Thanks! I only just realized :lol: . The thing with my paranoid thoughts is that they go away when I "forget to have them." I don't know if that's true paranoia or not!

Ah, physical compulsions suck! You don't want them (I actually have them :roll: ). My latest one is now every time I swallow I have to look to the left out of the corner of my eye, and then look back to the right. I used to have to jump up and down, touch certain things, turn around a certain number of times, etc. Even though my hypochondria circles around mental illnesses, washing my hands still relieved anxiety for some reason, although I didn't have that as a compulsion. :D

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 8:31 pm

I like to research medical conditions, too, StampySquiddyFan. I feel a bit sad that I ever read about Asperger syndrome. I was 37 at the time and I had to face the fact that I might never be like everyone else and may never have everything a regular adult person has. I am still not where I need to be, but I have made great progress since then. I always suspected there was something different about me, but I didn't know what it was. I won't seek a formal diagnosis, however. I could stand to lose too much.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 8:38 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I like to research medical conditions, too, StampySquiddyFan. I feel a bit sad that I ever read about Asperger syndrome. I was 37 at the time and I had to face the fact that I might never be like everyone else and may never have everything a regular adult person has. I am still not where I need to be, but I have made great progress since then. I always suspected there was something different about me, but I didn't know what it was. I won't seek a formal diagnosis, however. I could stand to lose too much.

You should do whatever is best for you, IstominFan :D . Don't seek a professional diagnosis if you don't want to, as I know you seem to have made amazing progress over the past few years. Remember: Asperger's doesn't make you any less of a person. There are millions of people out there just like you who are trying hard to make gains in spite of their own problems. Don't give up :D ! We all support you here!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 2:46 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I've been reading about the symptoms and struggles had by people on the spectrum and was wondering can you trick yourself into believing you have ASD.
Admittedly I didn't even know what an autistic symptom was a year ago so never suspected I had ASD.
I'm now second guessing my symptoms and even think on a sub-conscious level I might be pretending they are worse than they really are due to some mental illness ( cant prove it though ).
I know what I am describing sounds a little like Munchausen's or hypochondria but is it possible with out these.

You can trick yourself into believe you are a alien from the planet melmac if you wanted to. Now if you are professionally diagnosed I wouldn't doubt the competency of the psychiatrists because I doubt that they would give said diagnosis if they thought you were lying. If you aren't' diagnosed I'd suggest going for an assessment. but in general. I often doubt my perceptions and honestly if you perceive something it is how it is regardless of rather or not tis true false or delusional it's what you perceive. Perceptions can be inaccurate but they are your perception. Doens't rel

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 3:26 pm

Tricking yourself into believing you have savant skills is easy. The hard part is getting everyone else to believe it.
I can do math better than anyone else where I work--or at least nobody has admitted they can for decades.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 3:37 pm

Yes. Someone could self diagnose

Sometimes psychologists give the wrong diagnosis

Although "trick" might not be the best word.....

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 8:40 am

I've self diagnosed years ago, though my psych says it doesn't seem like i have it. I'M not sure about it though, my dad definitely has it, he's a textbook example. And me having lots of symptoms doesn't seem like a coincidence either..