Well, that was a depressing way to start a weekend

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

JT42
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

So I had my mid-year review (first one ever) a few weeks ago and my manager made a strange comment. He said he had initiated the paperwork to get me promoted to the next level. That struck me as odd for two reasons. 1) Two managers ago (about four years ago) I was told that I would never again be promoted -- I was already at the highest level that people get promoted to unless there is a "business need," for a person at a higher level and 2) At this level, the manager can only nominate people for promotion -- it still has to be approved by every level of management up the chain of command to one level below the CEO (three people) plus HR. Especially due to #2, I though it was odd that my current manager would even mention that he had nominated me given that it wasn't a sure thing. He's a smart guy so I don't think he would have said anything about it unless he felt extremely confident about my chances.

Well, I have learned that this phase of promotions is over and mine was denied. And to throw salt in the wound, one of my teammates was promoted to that level. That teammate is someone who has (and continues to have) difficulty working with practically all other groups within our company. It's so bad that people outside the team who know me but have had to work with him have come to me to ask me what is deal is. He is also an expert at avoiding responsibility, and will only answer questions about things he is working on at that very moment. The types of products we design and use are fielded for 10-20 years, so it's common to have to answer questions about or do research on things we worked on in the past. But if it wasn't something he's done in the last month, his reply is "well, go check with so-and-so." Meanwhile, people have come to me for support on things that I didn't even have any direct involvement with because they know I'll step up to the plate and get results. I tend to take a "the buck stops here" approach.

My manager has said he greatly appreciates the work I do and how easy I am to work with, and how I'm willing to take on tasks that don't always directly align with my job description or current project. He has said that unlike other people on our team, he really doesn't have to manage me and he really enjoys that he can take a "hands-off" approach with me because he knows I'll do my job and do it well, and will come to him if I have any issues. He has also said that other people -- including people at our company's other sites -- have noticed and appreciate it since I do my best at working with them instead of the usual cross-site conflicts and politics. Maybe that's why he mentioned the promotion, because he was confident it would happen. But it didn't. It would have been better if he had never even told me about it because then even if I saw the other guy get promoted I would have just chalked it up to the prior manager telling me I would never get promoted again. I would still have been surprised to see the other guy get promoted based on his attitude and lack of professionalism, but would have assumed it was due to age and industry experience since he is a bit older than me and has been in the industry a bit longer.

It's still a bummer, though. The last few years I've been going through some bouts of depression, and I have a feeling this is the trigger that will send me into the next one.

Thanks for letting me rant.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 8:32 am

I used to work as a manager in a software development company. And I study autistic workers.

Sounds to me like the manager in the past accidentally told you the truth. I say "accidentally" because that kind of information is not supposed to go to non-management employees-information like who practically can and cannot be promoted. Your current manager probably likes you, wanted to help you, and was not aware of how things "really" work. He or she thought you could be promoted when you really can't- for whatever reason.

I would take that "promoted for a business need" reason with a grain of salt. Sometimes a person will get a special favor like a title adjustment ("promotion") to keep them from leaving, or to reward them for work beyond what is expected. Another employee might be given steady raises without title adjustments, so that that person ends up making way more than the person next to them, who has the same, or a higher title. A third person could be given free work gadgets or leeway with their time or wardrobe that other employees don't get.

1) Do you think you might be being compensated in some other way that is not an official promotion?
2) If you got a promotion, would it "make waves" with some other employee strategically near you?