How do you compensate society for being unemployed?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:16 am

I don't need to compensate for anything in this pathetic society of ours.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 4:34 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I have a degenerative neurological disorder. Right now all I can do is be a wife and mom at home...

...I think you can also volunteer regularly or semiregularly at animal shelters or be an occasional foster parent for a pet. I have a family member who does that. She will be on call to take a foster puppy if the regular foster family goes out of town for a night or a few nights.

I try to help out at home to, at the very least, take care of myself and my Service Dog and cause no more work for my mom and dad.

Occasionally, the neighbors will need help with their four pets. I will give them food and water, give them walks, and give them extra attention. In return, they give me happy greetings, very entertaining walks*, and sweet pleas for attention, which is enough for me.

*Have you ever seen cats joining dogs for a walk? :lol:

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 3:00 am

I have always practised Voluntary Simplicity, going vegetarian very early, and being very fuel-stingy. I refused to have children unless I could support them sustainably, which never happened. I volunteered full time for a peace-promoting outfit until it ossified, and then made appropriate technology my vocation. I won big prizes on a shoestring budget, but all that was rendered moot by the overall rush to climate disaster. I had hedged my bets by continuing to enliven progressive demonstrations and political campaigns. Now I'm trying to heal the great rifts between various factions with common interests, and pass on my research, etc. to the next generations.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 4:16 am

So society doesn't want to employ you, and you are supposed to feel guilty because of the choices that employers make?

I know where the sentiment comes from, but logically it does not make sense.

You can't take responsibility for the actions of other people, only your own. Remember, they could choose to hire you.

Also, recall that the world is full of people who are violent, or who work for advertising companies (i.e. Satan's minions).

I bet you don't cause that level of harm.

I think taking care of the planet is one of the most important things one can do with one's life, if you're after a purpose.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

Volunteer work is a good thing. If able and eligible, maybe something like donating blood? Perhaps joining a support group and share your own experiences, which may be of value to others?
________________________________________________________________________________

donated blood over 25 times. donated blood so many times that even a phlebotomist asked why i donated blood so often.

donated blood so often, that feel like ferritin permanently plummeted. exhausted all the time.

volunteer work could be good or bad. volunteering for the Klu Klux Klan is not necessarily a good thing.

having said that, volunteered as a Tax Preparer, child care worker, obituary enterer, swim instructor.

but whatever.

quite frankly though, i do not feel that that volunteer work compensated society for being unemployed.

but, i am unemployed so i do not get a paycheck. so why should i have to compensate society?

granted, it could be my fault that i am unemployed b/c i am academically stupid, vocationally incompetent, socially awkward, emotionally fragile, and functionally useless.

however, plenty of precious lil "people" that have interacted with me are also academically stupid, vocationally incompetent, socially awkward, emotionally fragile, and functionally useless. and they still have jobs. and they earn a lot more than i used to earn.

when i worked as a data entry clerk, recordkeeping technician, cashier. those were just minimum wage jobs anyways.

yeah almost all the psychological counselors that i have fit that description. they act like they know everything. they act like they are so important. they act so entitled. they have big egos.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2017, 2:55 am

When I was a teenager I occasionally went busking at the local mall. One afternoon a man came out of a nearby betting shop and offered to give me ten dollars if I moved somewhere else. I happily took him up on the offer.

I'm on a disability pension. Maybe the Australian government is a bit like the man from the betting shop: I'm being paid for absenting myself from polite society.

Seriously, though, it's not good for my mental health to sit at home doing nothing. I do voluntary work when I'm able. At the moment I'm doing simple jobs in the back room of the library, such as covering books. Work is a healthy thing when taken in moderation.

sun.flower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2017, 7:41 am

Well walking is good for physical mental health and there is always trash to pick up so when I wasn't working that was my thing, I'd clean up the woods and streets near me. You'd be amazed how many small bags I'd fill.

It seems easier to spread kindness without a full time job, which is valuable for sure in society.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 9:37 am

Many of our notions about work are from the pre-industrial era, before machines replaced much of the existing workforce. All hands were needed, and there were many simple jobs. Now, fewer people are needed in production, so the employers are choosy. Sure, special-needs people can work, but they require more from management, and the accountants won't allow that.
One of the main political debates of our time is between the leftish notion that all lives are valuable, and we are in no position to judge which genes will be best in the future, and the Right, which would like us to starve quietly if we don't produce a profit and do as we are told.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:58 pm

sun.flower wrote:
Well walking is good for physical mental health and there is always trash to pick up so when I wasn't working that was my thing, I'd clean up the woods and streets near me. You'd be amazed how many small bags I'd fill.

It seems easier to spread kindness without a full time job, which is valuable for sure in society.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

picking up trash.

some dude at the bus stop had the nerve to ball up some trash and shout "streetsweeper!". then he asked me if i knew what a streetsweeper was. (what?). the trash can was 15 feet away. was that too far away to walk?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:27 am

I buy lots of alcohol. It's heavily taxed here so I'm essentially funneling my disability money back into the system.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 3:33 pm

I don't in any meaningful way. I'm not gonna grovel and kiss the feet of society for tossing me crumbs. If I had real help, I'd be out of this hellhole and I might actually have spoons left to function some days!

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2017, 4:39 pm

I do my best to help out in the community. I just bought a cup of coffee for a homeless man who had just moved to my town and let him know some ways to find a job there.