Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 12:20 am

It's nigh impossible to control because it's so ingrained in the subconscious.
I bet if you even think about the thing that makes you anxious, your throat closes up and your heart starts thumping and your palms get sweaty.
That's a subconscious reaction.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 12:22 am

I've been thinking very seriously about trying hypnotherapy.
Don't laugh.
I mean, if it's in your subconscious, wouldn't it make sense to try and fix it subconsciously?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:15 am

Raleigh wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Also we all have things that make us anxious and sometimes it feels good to come here and share it with other Aspies who may relate, not to be insulted.

I mean, I've seen various threads here complaining about the summer and the hot weather, but I wouldn't just reply "oh, get over yourself. The sun is a big firey ball that's been there for billions of years, and it can make summers hot in most places in the world. There is nothing you can do and unless you move to Greenland, you can't stop the hot weather, it's just part of life, so don't complain".

See how annoying that is to read if summer really makes you anxious? :)

The thing is, you create that anxiety.

I'm not anxious about summer, I was just using it as an example.
OK are you saying anxiety disorders don't exist? Shall I just tell everybody on this forum not to create anxieties over whatever they're anxious about? Or is there just a different rule for me?

Well, where do you think anxiety comes from, if not from inside you?
If you have an anxiety disorder, you have created that disorder.
And I don't think it would help if you told everyone to 'not create anxieties' because it is subconsciously done.
No, it's the same for everyone.

Wow I didn't know people can choose to have an anxiety disorder. How do I get rid of mine? Please tell me how. Why even make it a disorder if this is even a choice?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:21 am

League_Girl wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Also we all have things that make us anxious and sometimes it feels good to come here and share it with other Aspies who may relate, not to be insulted.

I mean, I've seen various threads here complaining about the summer and the hot weather, but I wouldn't just reply "oh, get over yourself. The sun is a big firey ball that's been there for billions of years, and it can make summers hot in most places in the world. There is nothing you can do and unless you move to Greenland, you can't stop the hot weather, it's just part of life, so don't complain".

See how annoying that is to read if summer really makes you anxious? :)

The thing is, you create that anxiety.

I'm not anxious about summer, I was just using it as an example.
OK are you saying anxiety disorders don't exist? Shall I just tell everybody on this forum not to create anxieties over whatever they're anxious about? Or is there just a different rule for me?

Well, where do you think anxiety comes from, if not from inside you?
If you have an anxiety disorder, you have created that disorder.
And I don't think it would help if you told everyone to 'not create anxieties' because it is subconsciously done.
No, it's the same for everyone.

Wow I didn't know people can choose to have an anxiety disorder. How do I get rid of mine? Please tell me how. Why even make it a disorder if this is even a choice?

Where did I say you can choose?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:23 am

Your mind creates anxiety in the same way as your body creates cancer cells.
Now, you're not going to tell me you would choose to have cancer?

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 3:00 am

I dont think Raleigh was meaning you are creating the anxiety in a conscious way as opposed to your body creating it... Just seems the comment was interpreted wrong. IMO

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 3:30 am

Raleigh wrote:
Your mind creates anxiety in the same way as your body creates cancer cells.
Now, you're not going to tell me you would choose to have cancer?

Actually, certain brain structures (not the mind), are the cause of anxiety disorders. It has to do with connections between the amygdala and the prefrontal and anterior cingulate cortex, which regulates emotions.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 3:37 am

I think he was correct with mentioning the mind as the brain doesn't produce these anxiety chemicals without the minds influence. They are not independent of each other but a direct link. for the brain to produce the chemicals it has to be effected by the mind which is a set of cognitive faculties including consciousness, perception, thinking, judgement, and memory. Without the mind the brain would therefore not react biologically or chemically in any way other than possibly a comatose state.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 4:01 am

^true, however, the mind does not 'create' anxiety. The mind experiences the effects. I am not a scientist, however...

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 4:23 am

You are also correct as one cannot work without the other... A symbiotic relationship if you will. Like our entire bodies are made up of many different cells, organisms and bacterium working in a symbiotic relationship. When one fails it can create a knock on effect... As with anxiety. When one experiences pain daily in a social setting whether at school, home, public etc through ones mind the brain then learns and rewires quit literally in response to the surrounding stimuli hence why many on the spectrum deal with heightened anxiety as when one experiences negative effects in a constant way ones mind and brain reacts accordingly therefore wiring itself to avoid such responses by way of anxiety ( fight or flight response) Anxiety is a way of defense especially with those on the spectrum that are wired to experience these responses in a heightened manner... These are all essential experiences for the human being however due to external negative input it can be darn right painful for spectrumites... Something that NT's dont and will not ever be able to understand as some things can not be experiences via interpretation or word but only through its literal experience which again is individual depending on many many factors.

However those areas of the brain can be rewired somewhat again that depends on the individuals life journey. Some meditation helps which literally does change brain structure, some it cognitive therapy, some it changing a routine to something more positive, some its letting loose old friends of negative influence, some its family based, the list goes on, but if one can write down or remember such triggers then one has the potential to limit the negative input experienced via the mind to then change the brains response... If done one step at a time through trial and error... It isnt easy and i am still learning as i always will be but i have limited certain negative stimuli by having to change things that were very difficult to change... It may never ALL go away but with perseverance/hope one can certainly live more comfortably..

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 4:41 am

^I am experiencing much of what you've described, via various modalities. I wish you continued success !

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 4:47 am

Thank you and likewise :)

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 4:54 am

Thank you! : )

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 8:48 am

Raleigh wrote:
I've been thinking very seriously about trying hypnotherapy.
Don't laugh.
I mean, if it's in your subconscious, wouldn't it make sense to try and fix it subconsciously?

I went to a hypnotherapist in my 20's and was told they couldn't help me after a 30 minute consultation with ethereal music playing in the background. I was not given a reason why it couldn't help.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard