Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:20 am

Also we all have things that make us anxious and sometimes it feels good to come here and share it with other Aspies who may relate, not to be insulted.

I mean, I've seen various threads here complaining about the summer and the hot weather, but I wouldn't just reply "oh, get over yourself. The sun is a big firey ball that's been there for billions of years, and it can make summers hot in most places in the world. There is nothing you can do and unless you move to Greenland, you can't stop the hot weather, it's just part of life, so don't complain".

See how annoying that is to read if summer really makes you anxious? :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:27 am

Well I mean are parents with small children to be barred from boarding planes? I mean there are plenty of things I wish but my wishes can't impede other peoples rights...I mean realistically by plane is one of the more effective ways to travel. Though maybe planes could create some kind of quiet area, where small children would not be allowed, that one could request when purchasing a ticket.

I will say it irritates me when people bring infants to restaurants...I mean come on they don't have anything for the baby to eat, they don't have any baby appropriate toys its just an extremely stimulating confusing environment for a baby full of strangers they've never seen so of course its only a matter of time before they start crying and shrieking...especially if its busy. Like why would you subject your baby to that?

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:30 am

Joe90 wrote:
I just find life frustrating sometimes due to my anxiety disorder. I have misophonia too, so certain noises drive me insane. And being seated anywhere near a toddler in an enclosed space for a long period of time is my idea of a nightmare. Their noise, energy and unpredictability just makes me agitated. I am really not a child person. I don't like kids under 5 really. It's nothing personal. They are cute. They are interesting. I wouldn't want to see one hurt. But I still feel anxious around them.

Thinking "it's only a kid" doesn't make me feel any less anxious. I get irritated by people coughing and sneezing loudly too, and they can't help it no more than toddlers can help screaming. But it still doesn't stop me feeling irritated inside. I suppose this world is designed for people with good noise-filters in their brains, which is why nobody has come up with an idea of sectioning off people with small children from childless people/people with older children. I was probably irritating to people as a child too, and I'm aware of that. But some parents just let their toddlers run wild, where as my mum managed to control me in public, and I had ASD and ADHD! Well, as a child I was rather shy in public. I was more hyper at home or in child-friendly places like playgrounds, and I only had meltdowns at home or in school. But in school staff are trained to deal with child behaviour. I don't mind hearing children play or make noise in playgrounds or parks or anywhere that's child-friendly, because that's what they're for.

Why don't you use noise canceling headphones? Or ear defenders?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:33 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Like why would you subject your baby to that?

I'm guessing

No babysitters
They want to share the experience with their child
Getting a child used to the big bad world.
Breastfeeding

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:36 am

What I don't get is bringing infants to zoos or museums. They physically can't see anything that is further away than 60 centimeters (ish). Why on earth would you point to a money (that is many many meters away) and go "that's a monkey"?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:42 am

I took my child to a rock concert while they were still in the womb , I wonder if they experienced anything positive at all or found it distressing ?

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2017, 11:28 am

If you have children, then you also must accept the responsibilities and sacrifices that go along with that. I don't find it socially acceptable to bring children to public places where they will likely inconvenience others. But that isn't their fault, it's the parent's fault. They made a choice to inconvenience others for their own convenience. It was their choice to have kids, not the other people in the public place. I shouldn't have to put up with the consequences of the choice that someone else made because they can't handle the sacrifices they are required to make.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

How do you people feel about giving little kids small doses of tranquilizers for long plane flights?

I'm not advocating for that myself; I really don't know much about this particular issue.

If I'm wrong on this, I'm wrong---and I'll learn from it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:42 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I took my child to a rock concert while they were still in the womb , I wonder if they experienced anything positive at all or found it distressing ?

Huh, I thought you were male.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:49 am

League_Girl wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Yeah I am , I actually took my GF ( or rather we went together ) and she was 7 months pregnant.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:21 pm

I remember a few years ago I went to a restaurant which had an upstairs. It wasn't very busy downstairs, but we decided to go upstairs. It was lovely upstairs, it had calming music, and big windows where you can look out of down on to the street. They even had a burning candle on the tables. But as we had just started our tasty meal, a mother and father came up, with 3 excitable kids all aged under 3. We all had to blow our candles out for the safety of these stupid kids, and the waiters had to haul highchairs up the stairs for the youngest two to sit in. One of the babies screamed for about 10 minutes because it didn't want to go in a highchair, and the oldest one was running around shouting and screeching. They really spoilt our meal. It was no longer quiet and relaxing up there. When we finished and went back down, there was nobody sitting downstairs at all, and there was even a corner called "kidz corner" where children can play or read whilst waiting for their meal, which I think is a good idea. Upstairs looked more a place for adults to have a quiet meal. But no, this couple had to bring their brats up there, didn't they?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:12 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Also we all have things that make us anxious and sometimes it feels good to come here and share it with other Aspies who may relate, not to be insulted.

I mean, I've seen various threads here complaining about the summer and the hot weather, but I wouldn't just reply "oh, get over yourself. The sun is a big firey ball that's been there for billions of years, and it can make summers hot in most places in the world. There is nothing you can do and unless you move to Greenland, you can't stop the hot weather, it's just part of life, so don't complain".

The thing is, you create that anxiety.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:33 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Yeah I am , I actually took my GF ( or rather we went together ) and she was 7 months pregnant.

"I took my then pregnant GF to the concert, I wonder if my son/daughter experienced anything positive at all or found it distressing."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 6:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

"I took my then pregnant GF to the concert, I wonder if my son/daughter experienced anything positive at all or found it distressing."

but Miss , I didn't take her , she is her own woman , we went together :P

I worded it the way I did because the topic was discussing taking your kid somewhere and I thought it sounded funny even though it was not factually correct.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:43 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I'm not anxious about summer, I was just using it as an example.
OK are you saying anxiety disorders don't exist? Shall I just tell everybody on this forum not to create anxieties over whatever they're anxious about? Or is there just a different rule for me?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:56 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I'm not anxious about summer, I was just using it as an example.
OK are you saying anxiety disorders don't exist? Shall I just tell everybody on this forum not to create anxieties over whatever they're anxious about? Or is there just a different rule for me?

Well, where do you think anxiety comes from, if not from inside you?
If you have an anxiety disorder, you have created that disorder.
And I don't think it would help if you told everyone to 'not create anxieties' because it is subconsciously done.
No, it's the same for everyone.