Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 11:51 am

I know it sounds trivial and stupid but I am reluctant to go on long plane journeys because of kids on the plane if they are sitting too near me. Last time I was on a plane I had a woman sit right next to me with a baby on her knee, and I tried to be laid-back because it was only a short plane journey and the baby was only about 5-6 months old and was rather cute and didn't really cry.
But when my friend went to the Caribbean she said that she had a 2-year-old in the seat behind her on a long plane flight. The kid was loud and whiny and kept kicking the back of my friend's seat, and she kept pooping which smelt bad. I don't think I'd be able to put up with that for hours with no escape.

I know everyone will say that kids can't help their behaviour but that doesn't stop me from being unable to tolerate it. I wouldn't like it if there was a barking dog on the plane either, or any living thing that is unpredictable and emits unignorable noises and smells.
Is there any way I can avoid being seated next to or in front of a kid under the age of 5 on a plane?

Last edited by Joe90 on 16 Jul 2017, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 11:59 am

Joe90 wrote:
Is there any way I can avoid being seated next to or in front of a kid under the age of 5 on a plane?

I doubt it , maybe go 1st class as I get the impression there would less kids

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 12:06 pm

I would call the airline and ask if they provide that type of accommodation. I don't know if they'll ask for some type of proof but maybe you can tell them that you have a noise sensitivity if you don't want to say that you have AS.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 12:20 pm

starkid wrote:
I would call the airline and ask if they provide that type of accommodation. I don't know if they'll ask for some type of proof but maybe you can tell them that you have a noise sensitivity if you don't want to say that you have AS.

I would be really impressed if an airline provided a service like that

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 12:22 pm

I heard some parents are now handing out cards to the other passengers before takeoff, apologizing in advance if their kids start being irritating on the plane. A lot people think that's really nice of them, but I think it would as embarrassing as heck to the parents. :lol:

"We sincerely apologize if my child is a complete poop factory who stinks up the plane, as she hasn't been potty trained yet and to be honest, we don't know someone so small can make so much of something so utterly foul, either" :eew:

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 1:03 pm

It sounds to me like you are afraid of something based on someone else's experience. That is interesting. So are you saying you didn't mind the baby sitting next to you on the plane, but that your friend's story scared you? I think separating your negative experience with actual children and your fear about what people tell you about children is important.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:16 pm

It's a shame we have to live in a world where we have to be mixed with small children. Not everybody loves small children. I think there should be a bit sectioned off on a plane where parents with small children can sit. If I was a parent I wouldn't be offended. I'd like to sit with other parents with babies and small children if I had one myself, rather than next to a grumpy, intolerant, childless person who has no time for them. Also I would try not to take a small child on a long plane journey unless I really urgently had to. I know a couple who took their triplets on a 10-hour plane flight when they were 14 months old, just for a holiday. I think that is silly because babies aren't going to appreciate a holiday, and there's plenty of time to do exciting stuff with the kids when they get a bit older.

I don't like kids under 5 or 6 anyway, on or off a plane. I only had tolerance for the baby that time because the plane ride was only 40 minutes long, although I did feel a bit annoyed. I quite like babies under 10-12 months. But babies between 1 year and 4 years old are just a no-no. I would not be able to relax on a long flight with a fidgety, whiny 2-year-old sitting next to me, even if I had earplugs in.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 5:24 pm

I hate obnoxious kids who kick the back of the seat. It makes it a giant pain in the butt to fly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 5:58 pm

If we weren't small kids once, we wouldn't be here now.

I doubt that the airline provides the "service" that was mentioned.

Probably your best bet is noise-cancelling earphones, or bring your phone and earphones and listen to your music or whatever.

I've been on planes quite a few times with crying and screaming babies. I've been lucky enough not to smell poo, though.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 6:23 pm

it's a difficult situation for everyone: the child, the parents and everyone else. i don't like it when the seat in front of me reclines as i am reaching for my purse on the floor and get hit on the head with the reclining seat. that happened twice to me.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 5:56 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
it's a difficult situation for everyone: the child, the parents and everyone else. i don't like it when the seat in front of me reclines as i am reaching for my purse on the floor and get hit on the head with the reclining seat. that happened twice to me.

Adults do this all the time though -not really a kid thing.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:19 pm

You take it as an exercise in tolerance.
If you can't be tolerant and accept what is, stay home.
It's a shame we have to live in a world where we have to be mixed with intolerant people.
You want concessions but aren't prepared to make allowances for anyone else.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:23 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I know it sounds trivial and stupid but I am reluctant to go on long plane journeys because of kids on the plane if they are sitting too near me. Last time I was on a plane I had a woman sit right next to me with a baby on her knee, and I tried to be laid-back because it was only a short plane journey and the baby was only about 5-6 months old and was rather cute and didn't really cry.
But when my friend went to the Caribbean she said that she had a 2-year-old in the seat behind her on a long plane flight. The kid was loud and whiny and kept kicking the back of my friend's seat, and she kept pooping which smelt bad. I don't think I'd be able to put up with that for hours with no escape.

I know everyone will say that kids can't help their behaviour but that doesn't stop me from being unable to tolerate it. I wouldn't like it if there was a barking dog on the plane either, or any living thing that is unpredictable and emits unignorable noises and smells.

If you book your flight with the airline directly, you may be able to explain that you are on the spectrum and ask if it can be arranged that you not be seated near children due to your sensory issues. They may not be able to guarantee this as children under a certain age aren't always on the seating roster, but they might be willing to work with you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 3:11 am

I wish there was a way to avoid being seated next to someone whose body will be in your seat and their body will be touching yours or to avoid being seated in front of a hall or heavy person and of a course a small child or being seated in front of rude kids who like to play with their tables and push on the seat.

I have taken my kids on a five hour flight and it was hard and I only took them so my mom's family can see them and it was my aunt's wedding reception and some people actually clapped when they finally fell asleep. They were loud and wouldn't sit still and they cried and made a mess and we did our best controlling them. They had snacks and toys but that wasn't enough. I see as a parent you can't always control your kids. Everyone is a perfect parent before having any.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 3:47 am

Why is it that Aspies understand each other when we talk about being upset by sirens, barking dogs, car alarms, and lots of other uncontrollable loud noises, but when it comes to getting upset by the noise kids make, it's a different thing?

"Oh it's just a darling little kid, you just have to tolerate it sitting next to you for 8 hours" or "oh you were a kid once". Yes I f*****g KNOW I was a kid once, how does that make me become any more tolerant of them? Yes I was a loud naughty brat, but at least I wasn't brought on planes or to cinemas or restaurants until I got old enough to know how not to be loud and unpredictable. I wouldn't mind sitting next to a 6-year-old on a plane. I just can't stand toddlers.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 4:45 am

Kids have been a very rare annoyance on the flights I've been on, luckily (and surprisingly) enough. There have been a few really obnoxious individuals, but for the most part, they've been calm flights.