Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:29 pm

I get what you mean. Please note that I said "as a general rule." I didn't say that x = y absolutely :D

I'm a late-talker who seemed like the classic Asperger's "nerd" after the age 6 or so.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 3:40 am

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, I noticed that you'd written as a general rule. Just wanted to share my opinion too :)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 9:40 am

Kraftiekortie,

You are proof that a late-talking person can be quite intelligent. Some people learn to read even before they speak. You stated that you were one of them. I think I was very receptive to books from a very young age, but I don't know if I could actually read before I started school.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2017, 9:32 pm

Walking- 11 months
Talking- 6 months (I was speaking in sentences by 12 months)
Reading- 4 years (hyperlexic)
Toilet-training- 2.5 years

And NVLD is totally real. I have both NVLD and Asperger's. The NVLD is separate, as I have a proven 17-point difference between my VIQ and my PIQ. But to show the real severity, I have a 35-point difference between my Perceptual Organization and Vocabulary subscores. I actually score in the high-average range for PIQ now, as my visual-spatial deficits have gotten less severe over the years. I have taken calculus and organic chemistry, but as late as sixth grade, I couldn't see the obvious symmetry of a heart shape. I was in the 99th percentile in reading on a first grade standardized test but only the 50th percentile in math.

And nobody even suggested that I had a learning disability. I wasn't diagnosed with NVLD until college, and it was my self-discovery of the condition that led me to getting the proper testing. I always got "A"s in math, so teachers didn't realize that I got those "A"s by memorization... Even the neuropsychologist who administered my IQ test was baffled by me, as I got 50th percentile in Block Design (timed) but 90th percentile in Matrices (untimed). I wish I would have been given an IQ test at age 4, when I was hyperlexic but couldn't even cut with scissors or trace shapes.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2017, 2:39 am

My mother told me that just one day after I'd been born, when I was lying on my stomach, I lifted my head and looked around. Several nurses gathered around and said that they'd never seen a baby that young lift their head because the muscles in the neck haven't developed yet.

I spoke my first word at around 7 months but I'm not sure when I started talking/walking etc.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 3:40 am

^ they didn't see the strings. 8O

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2017, 4:22 am

^ Ha! I'll tell my mum that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 9:08 am

I have NLVD to a mild extent. It was somewhat more severe when I was younger.

I wasn't able to dress myself at all until age 6. Nor to write.

Then one day, when I was about 6 1/2, my father asked me to write my name. I did so. Without any assistance. After that, I knew how to write LOL

But I couldn't write on a straight line for a while.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 12:36 am

i remember being chastised in front of the whole class for my extraordinarily bad handwriting, even by 6 year old's standards. assignments had to be redone. it wasn't until adolescence that my own mother finally realized mine wasn't all that bad.

one girl's handwriting in particular stands out. she sat across from me for some time. she couldn't keep her letters in a line...at times they did a 70 degree curve.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:05 am

^^^^^^^sounds like me about the curvy letters :lol:

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine