Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 12:41 pm

Wow that's a great collection of interests! I definitely agree that autism isn't the kind of "genetic" difference seen in things like Down syndrome. Do you think that there is a definite environmental factor? I wonder why there are certain disorders that can be explained by genes and environmental causes. It's so interesting.

I also learned how to tie my shoes and ride a bike at the same age as you :D . I would never be able to get the correct change on a purchase at age 6 though- that's pretty amazing :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 1:54 pm

I would never guess that you are 13 years old; you seem much more mature than the average 13-year-old.

I think it's possible that environment could lead to autism in infants---mostly within the perinatal period and soon afterwards.

I don't believe vaccines cause autism--but I believe the trauma involved in receiving a vaccination could lead to adverse mental effects--including autism. When I see a baby tremble in the midst of receiving a vaccination, I wonder whether something similar to "shaken baby syndrome" happens in a neurological sense--which might, theoretically, lead to autism. And the accompanying emotional trauma experienced at these moments.

Note: I thoroughly advocate vaccinating people under the present vaccination schedules.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 2:20 pm

Thanks for your kind words! I don't think I have ever been part of a more accepting and understanding community before; it's nice to be somewhere where I can talk openly about autism instead of hiding it :D .

I also don't believe that vaccines cause autism, but some of the stories I read about parents describing their children before and after vaccines are baffling as to why the child was "fine" before and then regressed. Of course, sometimes kids with autism can regress around the time vaccines are given (it seems like the vaccines "caused" it) but what if some kids are more sensitive to the emotional experience of having a vaccine? Would they have shown autism symptoms anyway, or did the experience of being vaccinated "tip" them over the border between clinical and sub-clinical?

It's funny because my sister showed autism traits from birth, but she is hyposensitive to pain so she doesn't have to go through that emotional experience (at least she doesn't feel the shot as much :D .)

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 2:29 pm

You've got to be a very bright person. When I was 13, I was literally a "kid" LOL. I still had tantrums at that time. I was chubby-to-fat, and I took a shower once a week.

It's true: within the "regressive" form of autism, abilities gained (e.g., speech, socialization) tend to regress---but they tend to regress at around 18 months to 2 1/2 years of age, a point in time when most vaccinations have been received already.

I've been reading about the "regressive" form of autism since I was very young. Case studies of it date back to the 1940s.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 2:50 pm

I wouldn't call myself "bright", but thanks anyway :D ! (I also still have tantrums, especially when something changes, so I can relate)

You must know a lot about the "regressive" form of autism. Why do you think some kids regress in skills that have already been gained?

Thanks for answering my questions and welcoming me so nicely :D I think I might stick around for a while.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 3:02 pm

I can't really say for sure, of course.

But there's this theory floating around, sponsored by a person named Courchesne, who believes that the autistic brains grows too rapidly up to approximately 2 years of age, produces too many unneeded neurons, and lacks the "plasticity" to get rid of the "extraneous" neurons (i.e., the neurons that are not needed).

This can be compared to the prevailing theory of why people speak specific languages, and why people can't get rid of "accents" when they start leaning a new language at a relatively old age.

According to this theory, babies can distinguish ALL sounds at a very young age--but "get rid" of the perception of certain sounds by, say, the age of nine months. They only perceive what they "have" to perceive.

In autism, according to the theory, there is so much extraneous stimuli floating around---and the autistic person has difficulty distinguishing the "unneeded" from the "needed" stimuli, so to speak. As a result, the world becomes a maze to them. I'll explain better later.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 3:08 pm

Wow, that's a very interesting theory. It does make sense with the way autistic brains process information. :D

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 6:12 pm

I never crawled--I just scooted around on my bum. I didn't learn to walk until I was 2 1/2. I started talking before my first birthday. I don't remember when I was potty trained. Maybe about 2 1/2 as well. But I wore pull-ups at night until after age 8.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:12 am

Don't know for crawling and potty training, but I walked at about 8-10 months and said my first word at 18 months; strange that I walked early considering my motor skills, but my small size may have helped.
For reading I begun to learn it in school beginning in first grade when I was 6-7 years old but didn't progress much that year because the books in the classroom didn't interested me enough to overcome my laziness and practice my reading, I caught up and the some by second grade by being interested in books about space exploration.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 4:57 am

Interesting topic, I don't wanna just include my babyhood though as it sounds like a great opportunity to evaluate your growth.
I have no idea about crawling but,
Walking: 12 months
First word: 6 months although it was only baba, which is father.
Talking: 12 months
Talking like 'an adult'(as my parents call it): 2 years
Being able to pronounce certain letters like 'r': 5 years
Toilet trained: 1,5 years
Drawing: 2 or 3 years, and since then it's been my special interest
Reading and writing: 6 years
(My teacher parents used to keep reading materials away from me so that I would learn to read with my peers and not be bored when I started school.)
Washing myself: 7 years (But it's still a work in progress if you include the routine involved in it)
Cooking: 7 years (cooking GOOD: 19 years :D)
Cleaning after myself: 19 years :oops:

--
I would like to add the things kraftiekortie mentioned too.

Learned to tie my shoes at 13 (but up to this date it's still not perfect)

Learned to ride a bike at 6 or 7 years (I'm pretty sure I would do it earlier if they bought me a bicycle before that time as I loved it)

--
Learned to swim at the age of 9 (which is pretty late as I'm from a coastal city)

Learned to speak English at the age of 15 with no help from others. (I'm including this as it really changed my life)

Learned to talk on the phone: NEVER, lol.

Last edited by komamanga on 21 Jul 2017, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:59 am

StampySquiddyFan,

You have a lot of the same interests I have. I like to read about medical issues, especially autism and genetic conditions, such as Down syndrome.

As for milestones:

Learned to read and write in English at age six
Learned to ride a bike at six
Tied shoes at nine-very late
First started to swim at age ten-and became a strong swimmer. That was the only athletic thing I did well at the time.
Picked up a tennis racquet and began lessons at age 50

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:11 pm

IstominFan wrote:
StampySquiddyFan,

You have a lot of the same interests I have. I like to read about medical issues, especially autism and genetic conditions, such as Down syndrome.

As for milestones:

Learned to read and write in English at age six
Learned to ride a bike at six
Tied shoes at nine-very late
First started to swim at age ten-and became a strong swimmer. That was the only athletic thing I did well at the time.
Picked up a tennis racquet and began lessons at age 50

Hi again!

Yes, I'm not quite sure why, but I've always been drawn to learning about medical conditions. Some of them I can't learn about because I am scared of them (hypochondriasis), but the ones I'm not scared of have always been something of great interest to me :D .

I rolled over quite late- around 7-8 months. I wonder if that's common with people here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:21 pm

Peoples' milestones run the gamut here. Some people spoke extremely early; some people spoke extremely late, for example.

I often wonder about the Aspie/HFA distinction. With Aspies (as a general rule) being relatively good verbally, but "weak" in motor coordination and visual-spatial abilities whereas HFA people (as a general rule) experience difficulty with the verbal realm, but have relatively good motor coordination and visual-spatial abilities.

A speculated disorder, known as "nonverbal learning disability (NVLD) has been noted to be strongly correlated with Asperger's Syndrome. Many HFA people, though, are excellent in mechanical things, and might even have some sort of verbal learning disability.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Peoples' milestones run the gamut here. Some people spoke extremely early; some people spoke extremely late, for example.

I often wonder about the Aspie/HFA distinction. With Aspies (as a general rule) being relatively good verbally, but "weak" in motor coordination and visual-spatial abilities whereas HFA people (as a general rule) experience difficulty with the verbal realm, but have relatively good motor coordination and visual-spatial abilities.

A speculated disorder, known as "nonverbal learning disability (NVLD) has been noted to be strongly correlated with Asperger's Syndrome. Many HFA people, though, are excellent in mechanical things, and might even have some sort of verbal learning disability.

I have been told I spoke slightly early with better verbal skills- guess I'm an Aspie! :D

Do you like the changes they made to the DSM-5, kraftie? Do you think HFA (autism) and Asperger's should still be separate disorders? I do see quite a few differences between the two, especially how Asperger's people seem to struggle with the exact opposite things than people with HFA.

I don't know if I remember correctly, but was NVLD removed from the DSM? Do you think NVLD is in a separate category of disorders, or is it directly related to ASD?

I don't think I ever scored very well on an IQ test, but I'm pretty sure my verbal IQ was higher than my performance IQ.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:45 pm

Nonverbal Learning Disability is not in the DSM-V. I don't think it was ever in any other official diagnostic framework. That's why I called it a "speculative" disorder. I believe there is lots of truth in its existence, though.

I believe NVLD is strongly associated with Asperger's--but is a separate disorder. There are Aspergians who don't have NVLD, but have the "social deficits."

I am a person who actually fits "both." I was a late talker--yet I also exhibit symptoms of NVLD, which was much worse during my childhood (though never "severe").

If one wanted to be technical, it can be said that I am not "Aspie" at all due to my late onset of speech. I had symptoms of Kanner Autism up till age 5; Asperger's afterwards.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:55 pm

I do think there is some truth to NVLD, but I don't see the point in categorizing it as a separate disorder if the person has social deficits and repetitive behaviors.

I don't think I have NVLD, but I can't be sure. Do you think it should be added to the next DSM, then? Or should it stay as a "speculative" disorder?

There is a boy in my class who I think had a speech delay, but he is "Aspie" now. He doesn't have any language deficits, just social. Would he be classified as Asperger's (if the DSM-4 was still around), or would he be diagnosed as classic autism?

Is this all too confusing :D ? Do you like the fact that the DSM-5 made ASD just one disorder?