Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 6:03 pm

^^ You were pretty friggin' bright! I'm jealous! LOL

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 6:35 pm

I can't remember when I first learnt to read. But I remember being quite below average when I was 6-7, because most the other kids in the class had moved up a few levels of reading while I was still on the first level. I think I caught up by the time I was 9 though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 8:57 pm

When I was 5 3/4, I picked up "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss from my bookcase, and read it correctly. I hated ham then!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 2:14 am

I pretty much had to teach myself how to really read the summer between the age of 9 and 10. It was a book my dad had read to me a couple of times already. From that point forward I devoured books, starting with the three that came after that one. Something about these little guys with furry feet and a magic ring.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:15 am

This is interesting. I'm going to include some milestones from my neurotypical son for comparison, including some not yet mentioned:

Crawling: 2 months
Walking (unassisted): 12 months
Talking: 2.5 month for words; 4.5 months for phrases/responses
Toilet Training: 3.5 years
Reading: not yet, alphabet only (he is 3.5)
First Wave: 8.5 months
First Makes Toys Interact (fight, hide): 6 months
First Says Own Name: 21 months
First Smile: hours old (at his dad)

I would be interested in what other people have on those last four, because I would expect they would not be things that would occur to autistic kids until they were older.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:27 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
This is interesting. I'm going to include some milestones from my neurotypical son for comparison, including some not yet mentioned:

Crawling: 2 months
Walking (unassisted): 12 months
Talking: 2.5 month for words; 4.5 months for phrases/responses
Toilet Training: 3.5 years
Reading: not yet, alphabet only (he is 3.5)
First Wave: 8.5 months
First Makes Toys Interact (fight, hide): 6 months
First Says Own Name: 21 months
First Smile: hours old (at his dad)

I would be interested in what other people have on those last four, because I would expect they would not be things that would occur to autistic kids until they were older.

It sounds like your son reached some of his milestones earlier than average. I've never known a baby crawl at 2 months. Also he was a very early talker. And made toys interact at 6 months? That's early too, because most 6 month old babies are still learning how to pick up toys.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

I have no idea but my mum said I hit all my markers so clearly nothing noticeable for a child in the 70's

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm

Crawling: not sure.

Walking: 14 months

Potty training: three years right after my brother was born

Talking: single words when I was two and talking in sentences when I was five and speaking more clearly when I was six where you could actually understand me

Reading: six years, barely. I started reading for real when I was eight. That was with looking at a new word and pronouncing it than not knowing what it says.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 9:14 am

Regarding smiling, my mom always said I was a smiling and happy baby and outgoing little girl. I was also told I loved to laugh a lot as a baby. Most children were crying and screaming their heads off. I was an outgoing and social little girl until I began school.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 11:23 am

Crawling: 9 months

Walking: 10 months

Toilet Training: 2.5 years old

Talking (single words): 11 months

Reading: 2-3 years old (I don't know when I started to comprehend what I was reading; rather than just repeating it :D )

I'm new here by the way :D !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 11:29 am

There used to be this cartoon called Squiddly Diddly in the 1960s.

Welcome to the Forum. I spoke much later than you---at 5 1/2 years of age.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yeah, I love watching the Youtube channel Stampylonghead and his best friend is a character called Squid. I've actually been reading posts on this forum for over a year now- I don't know why I didn't make an account before now :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

I know a few people who read posts here, and didn't sign up for a few years.

What do you like to do as a "special interest?"

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 11:46 am

Thanks for asking, but you probably don't want my long monologue on ASD's! (just kidding) :D . I would say that my special interests are ASD (I think a lot of people on here can relate) and Stampy Cat. I also love learning about anything genetic related, so I know a lot about certain conditions like Williams Syndrome. I know you like geography- is that something special interest related for you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 11:53 am

Yes, geography---and the weather.

I also enjoy history, paleoanthropology, applied linguistics, and biography.

I believe ASD's are, at times, genetic in origin. But they, definitely, are not "genetic" disorders in the sense that Down Syndrome (and Williams Syndrome) is a "genetic" disorder. There are times, as is the case within myself, when the autism is of idiopathic origin.

Other milestones:

Learned to tie my shoes at 6.

learned to ride a bike at 7 1/2.

Could not write or dress myself until age 6.

Knew how to get the correct change on a purchase before age 6, though.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 12:41 pm

Wow that's a great collection of interests! I definitely agree that autism isn't the kind of "genetic" difference seen in things like Down syndrome. Do you think that there is a definite environmental factor? I wonder why there are certain disorders that can be explained by genes and environmental causes. It's so interesting.

I also learned how to tie my shoes and ride a bike at the same age as you :D . I would never be able to get the correct change on a purchase at age 6 though- that's pretty amazing :D .