Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 4:27 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 4:50 am

The concept has already been popular in the animated series "The Last Airbender" where the Avatar Aang was a woman in one of his previous existence

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 5:11 am

Only just got used to Capaldi and they go and change it again. Anyway, having a young woman in the role has apparently upset a lot of Daily Mail readers... so it has to be a good thing.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 6:35 am

I don't have an issue with making the Doctor female, it's long been established it could happen, and then along came Missy (with no fanfare iirc, it was a surprise sprung on us) and I thought that was really well done. In some ways, Missy was able to be more impactful than The Master because it's so jarring to see a woman be so gleefully, sadistically evil, we're desensitised to seeing really evil male villains. She was just as evil and just as frightening as The Master and retained his personality. She played that role very well.

But I am very concerned about why they're doing it now. Virtue signalling from the rooftops that the Doctor is female. Look at that article. The actor says it's great because she's a feminist. The BBC person is going on about the BBC's horrible diversity drive in a BBC article. A hell of a lot of strong cringe-inducing regressive virtue signalling BS was in the first half or so of this season, and while it dropped off toward the end, the episodes were still substandard compared to previous seasons.

If this was done for creative reasons, we would be learning of it in the episode it happened, then all the talk afterwards would be about how the time was right, how they had great ideas about how this would break new ground, new creative possibilities, and how it was going to shape and impact the Doctor's personality going forward, that would make me excited and make me think it was being done for all the right reasons. This makes me think they're using the platform of Doctor Who as a vehicle, as SJWs try to with everything they try to co-opt, comics, video games, etc. To push an agenda. Doctor Who is visibly being corrupted.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 8:00 pm

Drake wrote:
I don't have an issue with making the Doctor female, it's long been established it could happen, and then along came Missy (with no fanfare iirc, it was a surprise sprung on us) and I thought that was really well done. In some ways, Missy was able to be more impactful than The Master because it's so jarring to see a woman be so gleefully, sadistically evil, we're desensitised to seeing really evil male villains. She was just as evil and just as frightening as The Master and retained his personality. She played that role very well.

But I am very concerned about why they're doing it now. Virtue signalling from the rooftops that the Doctor is female. Look at that article. The actor says it's great because she's a feminist. The BBC person is going on about the BBC's horrible diversity drive in a BBC article. A hell of a lot of strong cringe-inducing regressive virtue signalling BS was in the first half or so of this season, and while it dropped off toward the end, the episodes were still substandard compared to previous seasons.

If this was done for creative reasons, we would be learning of it in the episode it happened, then all the talk afterwards would be about how the time was right, how they had great ideas about how this would break new ground, new creative possibilities, and how it was going to shape and impact the Doctor's personality going forward, that would make me excited and make me think it was being done for all the right reasons. This makes me think they're using the platform of Doctor Who as a vehicle, as SJWs try to with everything they try to co-opt, comics, video games, etc. To push an agenda. Doctor Who is visibly being corrupted.

To be honest I lost interest in Doctor Who after John Pertwee and Tom Baker left the show. Every Doctor since then has been a poor imitation with moderate acting skills (But I guess I'm showing my age)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:38 am

A time lord is supposed to only be able to regenerate 12 times, so something rather different had to happen with number 13.

It looks like most of reincarnations only lasted two or three seasons. Number 4 played by Tom Baker lasted much longer, and really seems to be the most iconic of them all. Him and also David Tennant as number 11.

For no particular reason I stopped watching the show after the season finale when 11 regenerated into 12, even though I was really into the show. I suppose I should catch up on those episodes.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 2:58 am

Yes I liked David Tennent, he was also among the top three actors in Harry Potter (after Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman)

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 6:57 am

EzraS wrote:
A time lord is supposed to only be able to regenerate 12 times, so something rather different had to happen with number 13.

It looks like most of reincarnations only lasted two or three seasons. Number 4 played by Tom Baker lasted much longer, and really seems to be the most iconic of them all. Him and also David Tennant as number 11.

For no particular reason I stopped watching the show after the season finale when 11 regenerated into 12, even though I was really into the show. I suppose I should catch up on those episodes.

This is actually the 14th regeneration. Capaldi was the 13th.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 8:18 am

Drake wrote:
EzraS wrote:

This is actually the 14th regeneration. Capaldi was the 13th.

Not according to all the BBC stuff about the 13th Doctor being Jodie Whittaker. Not that I'm arguing with you, taking John Hurt as the War Doctor into consideration.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 8:51 am

Putting the War Doctor into the order in the correct place would be too disruptive, changing the number of too many Doctors, hence why Jodie is the 13th Doctor, the others are 1-12 and the War Doctor is the War Doctor. But there are 14 in total.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 11:46 am

I'm just glad they're finally getting rid of Capaldi.

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2017, 12:08 pm

I am OK with him being a woman. I do wish there wasn't so much info on it out there :x . It would have been absolutely shocking to have it happen when I didn't know what was coming!

Its my favorite show to watch with my teen. We see it behind everyone else anyway because we watch it on Amazon Prime and I haven't even seen season 10 yet.

Somebody better rescue River from the library though! (unless that happens in season 10 and I just haven't seen it yet)

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 1:58 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:

I guess we disagree. He is my favorite of the modern doctors. I think he plays the role of someone who has lost a lot better.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2017, 8:40 am

Drake wrote:

I completely agree. I am going to give it a chance, but I really don't like that it very much seems to be that they made this decision to appease and get more views from people that wanted a female Doctor rather than deciding to do it for creative reasons.

BettaPonic wrote:
BetwixtBetween wrote:

I guess we disagree. He is my favorite of the modern doctors. I think he plays the role of someone who has lost a lot better.

BettaPonic, while I wish Capaldi had gotten some better episodes, he is my favourite of the modern Doctors as well. In fact he is my favourite of all the Doctors along with Tom Baker. I just love 12's personality, and for some reason I could relate to him the most of any of the Doctors.

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 1:03 am

... and she comes from near where I live... as does Captain Picard (aka Patrick Stewart). Who'd have thought a tiny corner of West Yorkshire should be a production line for sci-fi stalwarts.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

themightysun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Oct 2017, 4:03 pm

Knowing what a gifted plotter (and writer) Chibnall is, my guess is that he wanted to do that to change it up, and everyone else just ran with it as "it's about time, feminism in action, etc." I think Chris knows his reputation with a huge fan community (which, to some extent, would factor into his future in the genre) hinges on him getting it right. Whatever the reasons behind the casting, Whittaker is a wonderful actor, and Chibnall's a great writer. I'm optimistic.

My personal feelings are that Capaldi (especially in series 9, as his goodness was definitely overblown a bit in series 10) embodied all the traits of all the doctors in pretty equal measure. Meaning that he wasn't as unique a doctor as any of the rest, but was the deconstruction of the Doctor, each of his seasons showing part of his arc (the grim steward, the lovable and unknowable alien, and the unabashed good guy). In short, he was, to me, the Doctoriest Doctor. To follow it up with another Tennant or Baker sort would be pretty boring to me. I'm honestly incredibly excited for Whittaker.

This is my first post on Wrong Planet. So yeah, DW is one of my main interests.