Artificial sweeteners linked to risk of weight gain

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 2:51 am

Artificial sweeteners may be associated with long-term weight gain and increased risk of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease, according to a new study published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal)

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 071117.php

This contradicts a lot of evidence saying they're ok.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2017, 3:00 pm

Weight gain and the direct aliments attributed from it is the very least of the many predicaments associated with consumption of these unpalatable Artificial Sweeteners, especially Aspartame (E951) (also known as Nutrasweet or Equal), or should I call it "Rumsfeld Disease" from a form of "sweet" biochemical warfare.

I promptly stopped consuming Robinson's Fruit Squash and all fizzy drinks (except the occasional San Pellegrino) approximately 5 years ago and permanently substituted them for water and pure fruit juices after rather hastily learning the elaborately suppressed and forbidden medical malfeasances interconnected with it since the early 1970's; along with the FDA and the company who discovered Aspartame itself known as GD Searle, a former "life sciences" company which was acquisitioned by Monsanto with the negotiations of Donald Rumsfeld (former secretary of the US Department of Defense and who I suspect as an Iraq war criminal) shortly after it's concocted and politicized approval, which today now acts as a subsidiary trademark of the pharmaceutical company Pfizer (Monsanto Agri-Biotech Sciences produced this sweetener for 15 years prior to selling off to Ajinomoto in 2000, along with merging with Pharmacia and Upjohn, renaming itself "Pharmacia" while simultaneously retaining it's "Searle" pharmaceutical manufacturing division until it was finally acquisitioned by Pfizer in 2003 who subsequently retired the "Searle" name), only never to touch them again, the stuff is evil.

Very luckily I didn't endure any heath implications from the synthetic sweetener as it's utilized in much less quantified dosages in fruit squash than fizzy beverages, but my discernibly individualized perception of the world as I see it which would diversely range from nation governments; corporations (esp. the medical industrial complex), ideologies, religion and our modern societal paradigm as a whole has irreversibly never been the same again ever since abstaining from Aspartame.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 2:23 pm

The "health" industry is a funny industry...if they gave you advice that actually worked it would put itself out of business. So what do you think the health industry does to counter this? It gives advice that doesn't work. That's why they're so obsessed with fad diets, and making weight loss sound like something only a biochemist could achieve.

There are a lot of companies with a lot of money sponsoring things like these studies to convince people to stick with "full fat" Pepsi and Cola. It's like any article or study you'll see that suggests "vaping" is worse than cigarettes...who do you think is funding this research and driving it? Tobacco companies have a lot of money and a lot of clout. Pepsi has a lot of money and a lot of clout. As does McDonalds. What's worse for you at McDonalds, the Big Mac or the salad? It's the salad. These people are not here to help you or give you good information or advice, they are here to trick you, to keep you fat and unhealthy.

HyperX
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2017, 4:44 am

firemonkey wrote:
Artificial sweeteners may be associated with long-term weight gain and increased risk of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease, according to a new study published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal)

Refined sugar has the same side effects, plus it inhibits the body's ability to metabolise fat. That's why many people loose weight by cutting out refined sugars.

The Cat Ghost

09 Aug 2017, 12:13 pm

This video is a bit of a slog, but I've watched it twice and it is definitely worth your time if the link between weight gain and sugar (fructose) is something that interests you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&t=2478s

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:47 pm

This is an improvement. In the Old Days artificial sweeteners were thought to be causes of cancer. Based on the effects of sweeteners on rats, they were banned for a while.

chortler
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Aug 2017, 12:13 am

The Cat Ghost wrote:
This video is a bit of a slog, but I've watched it twice and it is definitely worth your time if the link between weight gain and sugar (fructose) is something that interests you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&t=2478s

Thanks for posting this. The idea that fructose affects your body like ethanol but without the buzz should scare people into changing their behaviour. It's a scary thought though.