what comes after dating sites?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PeanutButterFred
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2017, 7:43 pm

I am not social and I hardly ever leave home but I want a girlfriend. Dating sites are pretty much the only way I'll ever have to meet someone. But I've been on the sites so long that the only people I see are people I'm not interested in or have rejected me already. What happens now? Theres nothing for me to go out and do to meet people and I don't have friiends to introduce me to other people.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm

Family reunions.

Just kidding.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:19 am

Meeting people through mutual friends.

Or...talking to somebody on WrongPlanet.

wiztrader
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2017, 11:17 am

I was in your exact situation once. After a lot of reflection I decided to face my fears and do whatever it took to get "out there." Started with lots of dating advice, practiced a lot, went out a lot by myself, and I guess the rest is history.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:44 am

You could delete your profile and make a new one with a more recent picture....I did that back when I used those sites after a while, maybe I did it a couple times. But yeah sometimes a new/fresh profile can help especially if you've been on there long enough that some things may be a bit outdated.

And what sites? I found OKcupid to be the best one in my experience, but can't say it would be the same for you. As for there being nothing to go out and do...are you certain? There is nothing that pertains to any of your interests you could seek out IRL? Also if you plan to remain someone who hardly ever leaves home....what would you do with a girlfriend? Like I imagine they might want to do more than sit around your house with you...so good to at least have some activities you'd at least be willing to go do or try out.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 6:35 pm

The first thing you need to do is work on that sense of entitlement you have.

PeanutButterFred
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2017, 6:37 pm

Chichikov wrote:

Oh boy, I can't wait to hear this one. Please tell me where and how I have displayed a sense of entitlement.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:07 pm

PeanutButterFred wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

Oh boy, I can't wait to hear this one. Please tell me where and how I have displayed a sense of entitlement.

The fact that you're not social, don't go out, can't get a girl online because they've all rejected you already, basically admitting that you have nothing to offer anyone...but that you still want a girlfriend so how can you get one? No mention of how you can better yourself of develop something of value, just laying out your many list of negatives and red flags and asking what the next step to getting a girlfriend is. Because...like, you know, you're entitled to one so how do you get it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:24 pm

He believes in Peanut Butter....he does have something to offer.

And much, much more.

PeanutButterFred
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2017, 7:25 pm

Chichikov wrote:
PeanutButterFred wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

The fact that you're not social, don't go out, can't get a girl online because they've all rejected you already, basically admitting that you have nothing to offer anyone...but that you still want a girlfriend so how can you get one? No mention of how you can better yourself of develop something of value, just laying out your many list of negatives and red flags and asking what the next step to getting a girlfriend is. Because...like, you know, you're entitled to one so how do you get it.

Or maybe I'm looking for someone who likes the same things I am. I like to stay in and watch movies and play video games, so I want a woman who enjoys the same things. Chances are she's not going to be overly social either so a dating site is the best place I can do to meet someone like her. But no please, it's obviously because I am a flawed and self serving person who is only trying to use people for my own needs with no intention of giving anything back in a relationship. You are so smart, Chichikov.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:39 pm

PeanutButterFred wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
PeanutButterFred wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

Or maybe I'm looking for someone who likes the same things I am. I like to stay in and watch movies and play video games, so I want a woman who enjoys the same things. Chances are she's not going to be overly social either so a dating site is the best place I can do to meet someone like her. But no please, it's obviously because I am a flawed and self serving person who is only trying to use people for my own needs with no intention of giving anything back in a relationship. You are so smart, Chichikov.

maybe this kind of girl is also shy about dating sites. maybe you should try to find a girl in place dedicated for the kind of activities you like.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm

I ran a gaming group on Meetup and unwittingly played matchmaker for a few couples in the process.
I recommend Meetup.

PeanutButterFred
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2017, 7:48 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
maybe this kind of girl is also shy about dating sites. maybe you should try to find a girl in place dedicated for the kind of activities you like.

Even if I found a group like that (there are none near me) I wouldn't know what to do. they say don't join groups specifically to find a girlfriend. And I'd probably either come onto her too hard and scare her off or not hard enough and then she'd find a better guy to go out with (like they always do) and it would all be a waste of time.

PeanutButterFred
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2017, 7:48 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
I ran a gaming group on Meetup and unwittingly played matchmaker for a few couples in the process.
I recommend Meetup.

I've looked on meetup. the only groups near me are for fitness stuff like running and sports and I don't like those.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:50 pm

PeanutButterFred wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

Even if I found a group like that (there are none near me) I wouldn't know what to do.

Start one.

If it doesn't exist then create it.
No gaming group existed in my region so I made one and at one time it was active.
You don't even have to meet face to face. You could allow for Steam and Skype group chats as a regular thing, or XBL/PSN if you're that way inclined.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:53 pm

PeanutButterFred wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

Even if I found a group like that (there are none near me) I wouldn't know what to do. they say don't join groups specifically to find a girlfriend. And I'd probably either come onto her too hard and scare her off or not hard enough and then she'd find a better guy to go out with (like they always do) and it would all be a waste of time.

maybe it can be an online forum. of course you shouldn't be interested only in finding a girl as you would have an interest in the main subject.