Huge Improvement and Burnout, mainstream family

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

maru99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2017, 1:24 am

Thank you for your message, BuyerBeware.

I love kids on spectrum. I think they are fantastic. But I have not known any adults on spectrum except for those from immediate and extended family members and those that I just know (acquittance) and I suspect they are on spectrum. I don't have really good experience with those were in my life. But no one had really diagnosis so I don't even know they actually have it.

My son strangely gets attracted to children who are on totally opposite side of spectrum. I really don't see any possibility that my son and those children can be good friend to each other.. He always like the most popular kids.. that is a problem.

maru99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2017, 1:59 am

Thank you for your messages/suggestions of guidance in education.

I talked to his class teacher the other day and Their view in (part) acceleration in general is they might consider when they see the student in question has a good understanding in higher level material and they think my son does not have good understanding in year 1 math... Basically, my son has still difficulties in following verbal instructions and giving them comprehensive answers verbally. It was extremely disappointing to know that they have not even attempted to assess in how much he knows in depth and also class teacher doesn't know challenges that children with ASD have in their learning. Special Education unit doesn't bother in this issue. I think the support that they provide students (and my son) with disability well so on the other hand, they cannot/do not want to extend their support in the other end.

1Biggles1, May I ask you where you found the Tony Attwood suggestions? I really wish to read his other suggestions in Education and learning as well ! ! I agree with his idea because My son can learn anything if it is presented in the way he understands. (visually). So Question is what is important in learning apart from school curriculum. That is probably, what I have to do with him.

Though, I am still not sure how much he can progress in the future. Barriers to him are probably language comprehensions and dyspraxia (process information in constructive way). So we have to work hard on those challenges too. AS I mentioned in the post, just knowing and understanding materials is not good enough. He needs to prove it and he may have even more difficulties in doing so in the future.

Thinking about after primary school is really beyond my imagination.. We don't still know weather his academic skills will be up to his peers after primary school. But I understand, from your message, progressing so fast than his peers does not necessary give him advantages in his life. I am feeling that now already. AS you said, drawing clear path after advancing in learning is probably very important. Thank you for letting me know your experience.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 8:29 am

You may have to do supplementing on your own, academically, if the school is not capable of handling things appropriately. When you say they have not given him an in depth assessment, what is it that you mean? Have they decided he is incapable of taking the same tests as the other children and don't test him at all? Do you mean some kind of special assessment.

If they are have "exempted" him from all academic testing, that probably means they don't even pretend to care about his academics and they are just planning on shoving him through the system in the most efficient (for them) manner.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 8:38 am

Hi maru99, i will send you a pm :)

maru99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2017, 4:13 pm

Hi, Thank you for messages.

Quote:
You may have to do supplementing on your own, academically, if the school is not capable of handling things appropriately. When you say they have not given him an in depth assessment, what is it that you mean?

I believe My son's school teacher did not carry out any formal assessment on my son.
She asked a question in how he solve year 1 math problem. He failed to explain her. Other one occasion, she gave my son math with craft task (cutting and rearranging). She asked him to cut numbers and rearrange them (like again year 1 math which is very easy for him) But he did not listen to her (according to my son) and did not understand her instructions. so He did it wrong then the teacher thinks he does not understand.

The most of teachers including his teacher do not know that many of ASD kids are like half deaf in their classroom... I am not saying they are clinically deaf but they have problems with Auditory processing plus attention, other sensory, language comprehension problems. Their abilities to perform tasks in big classroom is severely deteriorated. I feel really sorry to those children with those difficulties in mainstream classroom where their teachers need to deal with them without adequate training in the issues.

I hear many sad stories from other parents that Students are progressed to next grade even they failed to achieve their expected grade level. (In our state,) School system does not have capacities to deal with those children. Under their inclusive education system, students with disabilities are all just mainstreamed and do not receive individual attentions in smaller classroom. That is exactly what you are referring as "their most efficient manner".

Quote:
My DD has a friend who is TRULY gifted in mathematics. Not just a quick learner. Not just a hard worker, but tested gifted.

Yes, I guess I am not sure if my son is like that. My son could come up with roman numeric when 4 digits numbers were given when he was 5. I think he has difficulties in multi step process/word problems. So I will probably work with him in those areas. Others including math, science, English probably, he will learn them at school (hopefully, he learn anything at all from school, if he cannot , I have to teach him at home) So after getting guidance from everyone in this thread, I came to conclusion that advancing his learning in school curriculum earlier than his peers may not be a good answer. I will probably get him exposed to more advanced materials in forms of life experience or plays or life skills.

Quote:
Middle school is when it is likely to be difficult socially. Boys are developing new, less universal, interests and also become very concerned about their own social position when they are in 7th or 8th grade. It was rough time for my son, I can't sugar coat that. It is rough on many boys, special needs or not. Later in high school my son developed solid, life long friends, but middle school was a rough time. Be prepared.

About middle school.. I don't want to even think about it. I am scared of thinking about it. But hearing highschool is a bit better is a relief. In the worst case scenario, He can be home schooled during middle school age?