I want to be a teacher but I'm afraid of kids being mean

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 4:46 pm

Although there will be mean in any working place but school children/teenagers can be terrible to their teachers, and I guess it would be very frustrating

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 5:55 pm

I feel you... I wanted to be a teacher for a while but I was kind of scared kids would pick on me even more than on other teachers because I was so I dunno, stupid or something. I know better now. :)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:12 pm

I had a go at teaching in the 1980s and 90s. It was okay for a while, but I couldn't hold it together and it got to me really badly in the end. I still avoid going on public transport and many public places when there are likely to be significant numbers of kids there.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:34 pm

Although there will be mean in any working place but school children/teenagers can be terrible to their teachers, and I guess it would be very frustrating

yeah being a teacher does not sound like a good job for someone with AS. unless of course by "teacher" you mean college professor in STEM. certainly not k-12.

children get away with so much. and the teacher has to do certain things and not do certain things.

anyways briefly i researched and considered the prospect of being a teacher.

"those who can't teach. those who can, do."

b/c at this point in my "life", it has become obvious. clear. that i am, just someone that "can't."

and i got a BA in cognitive science and that ain't enough education or the correct subject to do something that is AS friendly. such as software engineer. and my IQ ain't high enough to work at AS friendly jobs.

but the Teaching Credential programs require a 2.67 undergrad gpa and mine was only 2.1. (out of 4).

so whatever.

but seriously though. if it came down to being either (1) homeless or (2) a teacher, then mean kids might just be a justified tradeoff.

quite frankly, for me, at least, at this point. there ain't no perfect solution. maybe there never has been a perfect solution.

yeah seriously though.

compromise, tolerance.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:31 pm

What type of teacher do you want to be? Is there a particular subject or just teaching in general?
I understand being concerned about kids being mean. School was certainly not the best years of my life because kids can be truly awful so I wouldn't want to go back to that situation even as an adult and a teacher, but I think if I had to, early education with small kids would be where I would choose. I wouldn't be able to stand teaching teenagers.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:41 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:

Middle schoolers can be horribly mean. High schoolers as well I imagine, unless you teach AP courses and the students want to be there.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:01 pm

Chronos wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

Middle schoolers can be horribly mean. High schoolers as well I imagine, unless you teach AP courses and the students want to be there.

part of it is what courses you specifically teach.

part of it is that AP teachers still work at high school. they still have to interact with students that are not in their classes. AP teachers still have to enforce school rules.

so, much more AS friendly, to be an adjunct instructor at community college. teaching classes lower ranking than AP courses. :D than to work at high school. as a high school teacher. teaching AP courses.

it's weird though. in high school, in the AP courses i took (calculus ab, calculus bc, chemistry, language, us history), teachers kept hounding it. over and over. that it was an AP class. and that AP meant "college". it's like "college."? (*gasp*).

but then some community college classes are so much easier than AP, or even honors classes.

the Precalculus teacher kept saying that "this is an honors class", when a student asked a question.

and the English 10 teacher kept saying that that class was "accelerated."

ugh.

sigh

aw

big deal.

big. deal.

accelerated. honors. AP. it's still in the high school building. still with minors.

seriously sometimes i wish i skipped those precious lil classes.

those classes waste too much time in terms of homework.

and then did all that homework and where did that get me?

UC San Diego. homophobic, superficial, materialistic UCSD. (puke).

besides, big deal. the "smart" thing to do would've been to just avoid those classes.

an "honors" diploma ain't any different than a nonhonors diploma.

besides, a BA in Cognitive Science got me nowhere.

could've and should've just gone to State U.

big deal.

big. deal.

either should've gone to tech school.

carpentry, accounting, construction worker, etc

or STEM

or no college altogether

yeah as usual i royally screwed up.

and can't do anything about it now.

can't fix it.

sometimes i feel so profoundly (academically) stupid.

yeah i feel so

ashamed, guilty, worthless, stupid, morally inferior, embarrassed, useless, angry, annoyed, hateful, bitter, grossly misunderstood, victimized

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 2:01 am

I'm not sure I'd want to be a teacher and it's not just because of how the kids might be mean. Being a teacher can be difficult in other ways as well.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 9:32 am

I taught college for a year. The students were mostly nice to me, but I got sick of hearing excuses about why they didn't get their homework done.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 10:01 am

I was a substitute teacher for a while and I didn't mind the students, authority tends to be a shield, especially when armed with referrals to the principle and detention. I found dealing with administrators and teachers to be the bigger problem.