Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:28 am

US restoring asset seizures

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration will soon restore the ability of police to seize suspects’ money and property with federal help, but The Associated Press has learned the policy will come with a series of new provisions aimed at preventing the types of abuse that led the Obama Justice Department to severely curtail the practice.

At issue is asset forfeiture, which has been criticized because it allows law enforcement to take possessions without criminal convictions or, in some cases, indictments. The policy to be rolled out Wednesday targets so-called adoptive forfeiture, which lets local authorities circumvent more-restrictive state laws to seize property under federal law. The proceeds are then shared with federal counterparts.

Looks like theft by the government is legal again...

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:26 pm

I don't see this AG taking abuse of asset forfeiture seriously. The incentives favor applying it only to people with the least political power.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:53 am

Due process only applies to people with the money to fight the system.

Expect to see slower progress toward ending cash bail, as well.

Interestingly, they seem to want to reverse the biggest asset seizure from known criminals of the Obama administration, the seizure of the Russian spy compounds.