Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

PeanutButterFred
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2017, 10:53 am

Everything I read about Aspergers tells me that aspies have meltdowns and this is very common. I don't think I've ever had a meltdown though. Are meltdowns really so widespread that I'm the odd one out for not having them or does it vary per person?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 11:30 am

It varies.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 6:31 am

Shutdown is often the overload alternative. I've never had a meltdown that I recall, but shutdown I definitely have.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 8:20 am

I don't remember having meltdowns when I was a kid though I definitely had shutdowns. My meltdowns started with puberty though they are still not as often as shutdowns.

Ailurus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jul 2017, 8:32 am

I was diagnosed with Asperger's recently. I don't recall having meltdowns until two years ago, when I had an autistic burnout. Pressure started to be extremely high and I could not find any ways to cope anymore. I definitely had a shutdowns before that however. Now, I have made various changes in my life, accepted I was an aspie, reduced pressure, and I stopped having meltdowns. In the end, I don't think it's all Aspies who have meltdowns, but that they are prone to it under certain circumstances, such as too much stress or sensory inputs.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 6:38 pm

PeanutButterFred wrote:
Everything I read about Aspergers tells me that aspies have meltdowns and this is very common. I don't think I've ever had a meltdown though. Are meltdowns really so widespread that I'm the odd one out for not having them or does it vary per person?

A "melt down" is actually an NT word for when someone on the spectrum has a normal, age appropriate tantrum, or tries to assert or express themselves in an environment which is not empathetic or sympathetic to their needs.