Asperger's and learning foreign languages

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AllanB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2017, 11:14 am

Hi everyone,

A lot of Aspies seem to be strong in mathematics (at least according to the interwebs and various books I've read). I was never exactly bad at math, but I never had it as a special interest. For me languages are much more interesting. I'm only fluent in Danish and English, but semi-fluent in Swedish, Norwegian, French, German and Arabic. Currently learning Spanish and Greek (beginner to intermediate) and interested in a few other languages.

So are there any language nerds on here besides me, and do you think "languages" is a widespread special interest?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 11:22 am

I sort of suck at (especially) speaking other languages.

I am into linguistics, however.

I have heard it said that Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are mutually intelligible, almost like they are dialects of each other. That Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are only separate languages for political reasons.

What is your take on that idea?

AllanB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2017, 11:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sort of suck at (especially) speaking other languages.

I am into linguistics, however.

I have heard it said that Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are mutually intelligible, almost like they are dialects of each other. That Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are only separate languages for political reasons.

What is your take on that idea?

I'm into linguistics too. :)

"A language is a dialect with an army and navy" as they say. :)

I tend to agree that the three Scandinavian languages are more like dialects than separate languages. Most of us here understand the other two languages in written form fairly well without any lessons and some will understand a lot or most of the spoken languages (depending on dialects and one's abilities). So in most cases the three languages are mutually intelligible. A linguist described the relationship as "Norwegian is Danish, pronounced in Swedish".

By comparison the Arabic dialect of Morocco is further from Levantine Arabic than the Scandinavian languages are from each other.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 12:02 pm

Yep....and don't forget how the Cantonese "dialect" of Chinese is vastly different from the "Mandarin" dialect.

Old English adopted many Scandinavian usages, and the English kingdom made use of many Scandinavian names for places.

I find Old English (and even, to some extent, Middle English), to be more like German than Modern English.

AllanB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2017, 12:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....and don't forget how the Cantonese "dialect" of Chinese is vastly different from the "Mandarin" dialect.

Old English adopted many Scandinavian usages, and the English kingdom made use of many Scandinavian names for places.

I find Old English (and even, to some extent, Middle English), to be more like German than Modern English.

Yes...

KiannaKitter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm

Love languages. Can't do math to save my life. :lol:

Stop wishing you looked like someone else or wishing people liked you as much as they like someone else. It's a waste of time.
Stop trying to get attention from those who hurt you. Stop hating your body, your face, your personality, your quirks - love them.
Without those things you wouldn't be you and why would you want to be someone else? Be confident with who you are. Smile.
And if anyone hates on you because you're happy with yourself then you stick your middle finger in the air and say "Screw it."

My happiness will not depend on others anymore. I'm happy because I love who I am.
I love my flaws, I love my imperfections, they make me ME - and me is pretty amazing.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 3:23 pm

Always been fascinated by languages and desperately want to learn another aside from my one but find it so hard. The only language I have tried is french and have failed a number of times (went to college evening class, did a CD thing, did a Web thing)

What is our tip for learning a language? How best can I do it? I would like to try Spanish.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 4:02 pm

My math skills are terrible, so I'll learn a language any day. :)

Even though my mother is native to Central America, my Spanish is terrible, so I'll utilize other sources to improve my Spanish. I also want to improve my ASL skills along with learning Japanese.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 4:10 pm

I am not interested in languages but I know an aspie in my community who it. In fact, he had a brain scan done recently and they found that the part of the brain that deals with language learning is operating like that of a 1 year old even though he is almost 30.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm

That means he might be a language-learning genius....

AshtenS
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2017, 7:05 pm

I love languages. To me they seem like another form of math.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 9:05 pm

Learning languages (especially German) is my special interest. Luckily I also seem to have a knack for it, and am employed teaching English as a Second language. Can't imagine doing anything else!

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2017, 10:35 pm

Ever read Born On A Blue Day?

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2017, 12:55 am

I love languages and linguistics, although I haven't really pursued them as a special interest. I'm thinking of digging deeper into comparative historical linguistics and learning about the relationships between language.

Spent a few years studying classical and koine Greek and modern German, but that was a long time ago. I'm interested in studying the following languages:

Cornish
Tocharian
Sanskrit
Farsi
Icelandic
Old English
Basque

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 1:02 am

Am fascinated by historical linguistics. How languages evolve and are related to one another. And give clues to ancient migrations and the like.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 1:10 am

I've always been extremely interested in the technicalities of how languages work, but am too self-conscious to be any good at actually speaking foreign languages. That's probably why I specialized in Latin and Ancient Greek. When I came top in a French exam at school, the teacher commented in my report book "Excellent result. I wonder if he realizes that French can be spoken too?" Sarcastic bastard, never did rate that teacher, lol.