Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Onigirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2017, 2:15 pm

Hello guys.

I'm not diagnosed Aspie, or nothing like that. But I have serious reasons to believe that I am on the spectrum.
I'll try to be as succint as I can.

I identified several traits in my son, when he was only 12 months or less. Even as 6 months he didn't look me in the eye when nursing. Needless to say my family didn't believe and told me I was paranoid.

Turns out he is 3 years old now and officially on the spectrum. We don't have the paper yet because the doctor said he was too young. I also don't know if it is going to change anything on our lives.

When your son is autistic, you start hunting for explanations. My brother was diagnosed with Tourette when he was young, now I can attribute those stims to a misdiagnosed Autism. I'm prone to anxiety ever since a kid, when daily going to college made me have stomachache. I always had trouble with people. Friends, bosses, all that. But my school grades always were top.

Now I have this whole world to explore and understand, because when it was about my own questions it was all good, but now my son's future is at stake and I have the obligation to understand the best way possible for the best outcome for him.

My son doesn't speak yet. He probably is more severe than level 1 (or Asperger).
My brother I am more than certain is Asperger.
Me? I don't know. Probably never will. I'll have to live with the doubt.

Nice to meet you :)

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 2:42 pm

Hi! Nice to meet you too! (I joined today as well) :D
I understand why you think you could be autistic, especially because it runs in your family. I'm almost positive that my dad, grandparents, siblings, and all my cousins on one side of my family have ASD as well. Have you tried any online tests yet? The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale- Revised is quite accurate (at least in my own personal experience) and might put some of your worries to rest. There is also something known as the Broader Autism Phenotype, which is found in some relatives of people diagnosed with autism. If you don't want to live with the doubt, you could go to a professional qho specializes in adults with ASD, or you could just consider yourself to be part of the Broader Autism Pheneotype (some traits; not enough or not right ones for a diagnosis) and focus on living your life and helping your son to be able to cope with the world (it's a scary place for autistic people!). I hope you can find out what is best for you and your son! (I'm sure his future will be bright no matter what :D )

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 3:57 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)