Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FinalOctave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2017, 4:22 pm

Anyone have any tips for developing your artistic abilities?

I've wanted to do fantasy art since I was a kid, but every time that I've really put things together to go for it, I've wound up burning myself out within a few months instead, without much to show for it. I can't *not* try, and I'm about ready for another go. I just don't want to keep repeating this pattern ad infinum :). How do I avoid the burnout and make actual progress?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 10:06 am

What sort of art like drawing, making paintings? Or something else.

I myself have gotten into painting fantasy minatures...started on some somewhat generic ones from a company called Reaper, they just make tons and tons of random ones certainly plenty of fantasy and some sci-fi and other random stuff. But now I have gotten a box of Warhammer minatures its a game technically but I've never played it just gotten into painting so far. But yeah the ones I got are humanoid tree creatures called dryads, and I've got four close to done but need to find motivation to finish those up and do some more. My boyfriend is very much into painting the orks they have, he has gotten some other miniatures but he gets bored of those and always goes back to the orks.

I guess I don't really have a lot of tips...

FinalOctave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2017, 3:48 pm

Ah, sorry. I do digital painting :). Last time (which was the longest and most successful streak to date) I was doing a bunch of MLP fanart. Then I stopped improving, and I wound up stopping to deal with a major emotional/mental effort project that's now finished :).

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 4:42 pm

Well, repeating ad infinitum, or at least regular repeats ad nauseum are the exact ways to improve any skill, and artristry isn't an exception (rather, it's the prime example).

If you really want to train yourself in this, don't expect much progress in a few months, skills like these can take years...