Socializing is just entertaining other people

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2017, 6:31 pm

Sometimes I feel like socializing is all about entertaining other people, because it's rarely fun to me to listen to what they say. Instead I'm constantly thinking about the next thing to say so they don't get bored, while I feel bored at least 90% of the time I speak to them (NTs specially, I have a few aspies friends online and I can talk to them for hours).

Honestly, this isn't fun and this is very draining to me, and that's why I don't chase social interactions. Yet I know that by not chasing them I don't have the benefits of being social, which are basically sexual partners and maybe, if really lucky, meet someone who is actually interesting and so we can share some interests and things.

What do you have to say about it?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:28 pm

IDK if I don't have much to add to a conversation I usually don't say anything. If people are talking about something I don't care about I just do my own thing. If there is a topic I am interested in than I might join in, but if anything I have the problem of coming up with too much to say and have to try not to cut people off so they can say what they want. My social circle though doesn't have a lot of 'normal' people we're all a bit different..so certainly a more interesting bunch to interact with.

That said not sure what you are getting at with the second part...people you socialize with aren't necessarily going to become sexual partners. Being social and looking for sex partners isn't really quite the same thing, I mean sure in being social you can meet people that could be interested in that but that is not the end all purpose of interaction.

sun.flower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2017, 7:46 am

I think you may be right, and I think everyone has different tolerance levels for socializing.

Here are things I enjoy: journal writing and occasionally poetry, reading often, spending time with animals, the peaceful awesomeness of being in nature, listening to music, being artistic, spending time with my cat, children.

I do not enjoy sitting around and talking. I can listen to someone else for a moderate amount of time if they are not loud and if they let me talk too. Someone bent on soliloquy will not get to converse with me much in the future. I am quiet and gentle and kind and I prefer the same in the other I am speaking with.

Now just because society prefers a certain type of person, does not mean that if you are different that you are wrong or bad. Personally, with much of the world in the shitter, I'd think the preference toward a different kind of person would be apparent and wanted, even needed. Don't beat yourself up.

sun.flower

20 Jul 2017, 7:47 am

Oh but I will say, if I have to socialize, which I try to do as little as possible, I have found it helpful to google 'how to make small talk' beforehand. I succeeded with flying colors my last time doing this! :mrgreen:

sun.flower

20 Jul 2017, 7:49 am

there are some good articles at 'succeed socially' you may like to read: http://www.succeedsocially.com/articlesconversation
I opened up the category 'conversation' and the topics I linked you to came up but there are many other topics on the right hand side of that page.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 9:00 am

Years ago, when I wasn't doing much of anything that could be considered normal and everyday, it was very hard for me. I felt as though I would never have anything to talk about with normal people. Today, as my life expands, I find it much more fun. I don't like gossip, complaining or talk about certain pop culture celebrities, those who are famous merely for being famous.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 9:07 am

If socializing is just entertaining other people, then I make a heck of a good entertainer AND entertainment. :lol:

Which is true enough, it's the social skill that requires charm.
The 'charm' permits 'oddity', of 'standing out', and it itself is kinda required to become popular..
Then there's another, of keeping up with said popularity.

But 'entertaining' as a social skill isn't the kind of social skill I'd sought... :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2017, 11:19 am

Talk to people with similar interests. Things will come more naturally then.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:20 am

What's wrong with entertaining other people?

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2017, 11:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

If it's ONLY about entertaining I see some issues...my boyfriend and I stayed at a couchsurfing host a couple of nights and he had really funny stories to tell, but the thing is, he would only tell his stories for hours and nothing else. He didn't ask us any questions and he was not interested in our experiences. So I said to my boyfriend: Hey, why isn't the host interested in something WE like, WE did, WE experienced? Are we just too boring for him? Do we lead boring lives?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

It's absolutely exhausting lol :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

TheWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2017, 6:55 pm

Some people didn't get it. I meant that I have absolute no interest in socializing, although sometimes it's not bad, it is still draining. I never chase it, it never feels like "omg I wanna do that again, I gotta call these people to meet with them and socialize".

So when I do it, it's just because I have no other option (an important event). And for me it's all about not letting that awkward silence taking place for too long, so I'm just there thinking about things to ask etc. It's not fun, it's just "I can't make this boring". It's like a game I don't like to play.
So giving me tips on how to make small talk is like saying "just get better at doing this thing you hate".

About the sexual partner stuff, I was refering more to going out on datings. Maybe I should have been more clear on my previous post.
Well the man is the one who have to keep the conversation, he is to one who is supposed to make things interesting, etc. And it just sucks, I hate how this dating stuff is for a man on the spectrum.
So, sorry girls, but you probably won't understand this part of my rant.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 7:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

In my case, let's just say I'm fine standing out a bit.

But what I do not like is the expectations from others. I can't just amuse anyone whenever I come across them. :|
Or have the same 'take' everyday -- I don't have a 'mask' or a persona. If I have one, it's a very inconsistent kind that is based on my emotional, mental, and physical states.

I want a social skill that makes me move easier. :twisted: The kind that makes others move, and move for me. 'Politeness' isn't enough for this.
And the real ability to predict, and actually think complex social stuff of when, how, where to... To be able to take account of things and know which of those matters more.

I'm past the lessons of 'socializing' as entertainment, and I have enough social stamina not to be exhausted for months or years. :( I don't want more 'good manners and right conduct', or some personality guideline -- any illusionist could pull that off. I want something deeper than that.

I want real social and emotional wisdom which most people do not teach, and being an aspie to pull such out of experience is very tricky if not difficult.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 7:57 pm

TheWarrior wrote:
Well the man is the one who have to keep the conversation, he is to one who is supposed to make things interesting, etc. And it just sucks, I hate how this dating stuff is for a man on the spectrum.
So, sorry girls, but you probably won't understand this part of my rant.

I'm not sure that's the case , well it's not the case in my experiences.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:00 pm

That couchsurfing person that Antigone listened to could have been Aspie! LOL

Aspies have the reputation of not knowing when to quit talking when people aren't interested.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That couchsurfing person that Antigone listened to could have been Aspie! LOL

Aspies have the reputation of not knowing when to quit talking when people aren't interested.

Yes we do :D .

I have to constantly remind myself to ask the other person questions- if I don't all I do is talk, talk, talk......

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine