Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:22 pm

I have a bunch of different health issues, including sleep apnea. Some years ago I had a couple of sleep studies done. The first one confirmed the apnea diagnosis, the second one was a short time later, after I had gotten a CPAP machine and mask. The mask never worked right--it would never hold a seal for more than 3 or 4 hours, which it must do in order to help you breathe at night, so I finally gave up. I am a mouth breather when sleeping, and at the time there were only two styles of mask available for mouth breathers. One was a full face mask, and the other, cheaper one is roughly triangular shaped, going over the nose at the narrow top, and then widening to go over the mouth and the edge of the chin. Because I am on public assistance they never even offered me the full face mask, just the cheaper triangular one. That was around the time I had started sleeping in my recliner to help me breathe better when sleeping. About a year ago, my allergies were getting worse, especially when I was trying to sleep, making me cough and gag too much from the post nasal drip (flood), so I started taking OTC allergy meds when going to bed in the recliner. That helps tame the post nasal flood enough for me to sleep, so it was a big help.

A few years ago a relative asked to try my old CPAP machine, so I gave it to him. Recently, my pulmonary doc had me do another sleep study without a machine. The results were even worse than the first time. No surprise. Because of my chronic fatigue from sleep apnea and my other health issues, I can fall asleep anytime, and anywhere--sitting at the kitchen table, on the toilet, at the computer, etc. The doc was pretty insistent that I try a CPAP setup again. He said the machines are better now, and there are more mask types to choose from now, so he prescribed it for me, and my Medicaid insurer eventually approved it. The doc had even told me the best local med supply place to go to for the biggest selection of masks. A few days ago I went to the place, and the staff were very nice. One of the ladies is a kind of medical technician--that is, she has some kind of training in medical equipment, so she was able to help me a lot by asking me some questions. She actually spent about an hour on getting me setup with a new CPAP machine and mask! The time spent with her was very helpful. Since my previous bad experience years ago, they've come out with some new mask styles, including for mouth breathers. After talking with me about the old mask, she picked out one of the new styles for mouth breathers, and the right size for my face. She also showed me how to use the new machine. It has more features than the old one had, so that was a help. I've only used it a few times, but the new mask stays sealed much better than the old one did, so I think it will help me.

CPAP machines are usually used with a water compartment, to keep the pressured air flow from drying you out. The water has to be distilled, so I bought a couple of gallons when my step mom took me to the grocery store right from the med supply place. Unfortunately, when we got back to my trailer, and she brought the groceries in for me (I have two bad knees), she forgot to bring in the 2 bottles of distilled water, so she and my father came by the next day for a visit and to drop off the water. That's the first time I got to use the new setup. It worked well but I woke up on my own after only about 5 hours sleep, as I often suffer from short sleep syndrome, too. The next time I used the CPAP machine I was too wired up to sleep, although I was tired, so I gave up after a couple of hours. This wired up thing happens to me sometimes, in spite of my constant eshaustion. The next time I slept was at the PC. Did I mention I was tired? :lol: Anyway, I used it again last night and when I woke up the machine said I had gotten about 8 hours sleep. Unfortunately, I woke up freezing. I had gone to bed early, (in the recliner as usual) with the windows open, the living room fan aimed at me on high, and the near end room fan aimed thru the doorway and across the living room toward the kitchen, also on high to cool off my old fridge, as it was other wise too hot to sleep, but not quite hot enough to turn on the A/C. When I woke up in the wee hours the temp had cooled down a whole lot, and the fans were just making me feel even colder. I did try to go back to sleep after pulling on some blankets, but found I was too awake by then, so I gave up and got up. That's when I checked the time, and my sleep progress on the CPAP.

Well, it looks like this new setup will finally help me get some much-needed rest. Chronic fatigue is no joke, and keeps me from getting chores done, as I am always too tired to tackle stuff. I just hope things keep on working out with the new machine and mask. :D :tired:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 6:28 pm

I'm glad you found a setup for you that works and that medicaid paid for it =) Chronic fatigue is rough to deal with.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:08 pm

Good luck with your new machine! I have Sleep Apnea too, so I can relate. I just got my machine about a month ago, and I'm still getting used to it. I had chronic fatigue too, I couldn't stay awake for more than 3-4 hours without a nap or going to bed. I love how my machine tracks my progress and how long I sleep too. I try now to get 8-10 hours of sleep and most of the time, it works.