Having to down play your Intelligence at a Job interview.

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 6:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In a job interview, you have to show your "social side." Most employers don't care if you know that "polemics" has nothing to do with "poetry."

Yep. I used to attach letters of reference to my resume which would divert the conversation into a social "script" of my own choosing. Among the three I always included, I added a copy of one of my references from Robert Redford. Even if the interviewer saw no relevance to my inclusion of the reference, they always stopped the conversation long enough to ask fandom questions while asking if the signature was really "his." I had practiced my social dialogue to last about two to three minutes ... just enough time to tell them a story about the actor which they probably didn't know.

So, I would suggest others do the same: Find something of conversational value to most NTs even if you don't care about the subject all that much. Hiking, camping, knowing a martial art, or even attending a local Comic Con every year. Such conversations can make or break an interview.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 7:52 am

MoatsArt wrote:
A prerequisite of learning is humility.

Not necessarily. :lol: If someone punches you in the face for being an arrogant as*hole you will learn not be an arrogant as*hole in front of certain people.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:39 am

AspieUtah wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
In a job interview, you have to show your "social side." Most employers don't care if you know that "polemics" has nothing to do with "poetry."

Yep. I used to attach letters of reference to my resume which would divert the conversation into a social "script" of my own choosing. Among the three I always included, I added a copy of one of my references from Robert Redford. Even if the interviewer saw no relevance to my inclusion of the reference, they always stopped the conversation long enough to ask fandom questions while asking if the signature was really "his." I had practiced my social dialogue to last about two to three minutes ... just enough time to tell them a story about the actor which they probably didn't know.

So, I would suggest others do the same: Find something of conversational value to most NTs even if you don't care about the subject all that much. Hiking, camping, knowing a martial art, or even attending a local Comic Con every year. Such conversations can make or break an interview.

Yeah all the people they are interviewing have met the criteria for the job. The interviews is to find out if you have the personality to get along with the team.

The last 2 interviews I had I was told as much and they directly said "we are looking for someone who is the right fit. And you seem to be that."

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2017, 8:39 am

I was never in any of my interviews told that they're looking for someone fit.
Perhaps they may be unsure of your qualifications? I don't know what your resume looks like to judge.

All of the interviews I've ever had, ended either in them telling me the next steps or having to ask.
The question of being fit or not for the job never came up, so perhaps they don't care that I have aspergers or am good at hiding it. Who knows! There will be plenty more job interviews to come this and next month, I'll do what I can to offer some insight on how to play Intelligence for those who would like to know.

Definitely don't brag or show off your intelligence too much though as others pointed out it gives a bad vibe but I still stand by what I said that it doesn't advance us as a race if we're constantly afraid of others who may be better at something we're simply not.

hurtloam wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yeah all the people they are interviewing have met the criteria for the job. The interviews is to find out if you have the personality to get along with the team.

The last 2 interviews I had I was told as much and they directly said "we are looking for someone who is the right fit. And you seem to be that."

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 9:05 am

SixthTitan wrote:
I was never in any of my interviews told that they're looking for someone fit.
Perhaps they may be unsure of your qualifications? I don't know what your resume looks like to judge.

All of the interviews I've ever had, ended either in them telling me the next steps or having to ask.
The question of being fit or not for the job never came up, so perhaps they don't care that I have aspergers or am good at hiding it. Who knows! There will be plenty more job interviews to come this and next month, I'll do what I can to offer some insight on how to play Intelligence for those who would like to know.

Definitely don't brag or show off your intelligence too much though as others pointed out it gives a bad vibe but I still stand by what I said that it doesn't advance us as a race if we're constantly afraid of others who may be better at something we're simply not.

hurtloam wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

In certain workplaces like those where I pursued employment (Silicon Valley techs, Sundance Institute, state and federal political-action committees, financial institutions, government agencies and others) successfully, applicants are expected to describe their past accomplishments. Whether this is "showing off" or not (it can be a fine line when one doesn't want to overshadow one's future supervisor), it is true that some employers seek highly creative and intelligent workers.

Among the applicants I interviewed for subordinate employment, I sought the best and brightest, but still looked for that "je ne sais quoi" individual who could compliment my own work. When it comes to balancing social skills with professional skills, I would say "play it by ear." Do the best you can in the interview.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2017, 4:00 pm

So just had my 4th interview with this one job.

It was in person and it was for 3 hours.
Met with a lot of interesting folks.

At the end the HR lady said that "I'll be in touch with you" next week.
Previously when i was interviewing with her she said that next week is when interviews are over.

Hopefully I'll get the job, gotta stay positive. :D

Note: I unleashed my full intellect and left nothing back this time. Didn't try to hide it but acted more of an "expert" rather than a coordinator.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 4:02 pm

SixthTitan wrote:
So just had my 4th interview with this one job.

It was in person and it was for 3 hours.
Met with a lot of interesting folks.

At the end the HR lady said that "I'll be in touch with you" next week.
Previously when i was interviewing with her she said that next week is when interviews are over.

Hopefully I'll get the job, gotta stay positive. :D

Note: I unleashed my full intellect and left nothing back this time. Didn't try to hide it but acted more of an "expert" rather than a coordinator.

That is great! Continued good luck.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:34 am

I overheard a guy on the city bus once say he was autistic and that he had to pretend to agree with certain things his professors agreed with or thought in his term papers in order to pass the program. He didn't know what to do!

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2017, 4:13 pm

A person can be intelligent at one thing or in one place and completely clueless in another, remember that!