Having to down play your Intelligence at a Job interview.

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2017, 8:33 pm

I am becoming very frustrated due to the fact that I sometimes feel like as if I have to pretend to be stupid just to quote on quote "fit in" during job interviews. Personally, i'm becoming a bit tired from it, people shouldn't shun intelligence.

Has anyone else experienced or felt like they had to pretend to be something you're not just to get the job?
If so -> How did you come out of your shell and what did you do differently?

I have a job interview tomorrow and this time I'm not holding back or down playing my Intelligence any further.
The way I see it, if they are threatened by such expressed manner then perhaps they're not the right place for me to work after all.

Thoughts?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 8:37 pm

do so, if you imagine it will make it easier for you to get a job.

ideally, the job interviewer and interviewee follow the statement "be yourself" and act professional. however, sometimes that ain't possible, practical, happening, or necessary.

do what is functional.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2017, 8:40 pm

I don't ever downplay my intelligence. It's an asset. I do work at presenting "exceptionally bright" vs "eccentric genius" though. At least in my field, people appreciate intellect. But nobody likes "different". Be smart without being formal ... if that makes sense.

MorningSue
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2017, 4:11 am

My only advice is to do what you feel is right.

It might be worth remembering that employment is a two-way street. Yes, the employer needs to make the effort to understand and accept. They also have expectations and are often looking for someone who will not just excel at the job, but will contribute to the overall synergy of the company.

It is perfectly natural to fear what you don't understand, this is why intelligence is threatening to people by it's very nature. Knowledge is power and it's helped me to win many battles... but if I want people to recognise my intelligence as a safe and positive attribute, I have to make the effort to help them see it as such.

Tell most people it's a Pit Bull and they'll recoil in fear, until 'Junior' gently licks their hand and offers a paw.
Good luck, I hope the day is a really positive one for you :)

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2017, 11:25 am

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

I think what am going to do here is not down play my intelligence but rather point out a few errors that could otherwise put them in jeopardy. Since this is a programming job, I figure it would be fine to discuss some key issues that I had discovered in their code when evaluating it.

It's in 30 minutes, i'll see how it goes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:28 am

Don't point out any "errors" on a job interview. Point them out when you're hired.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2017, 11:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don't point out any "errors" on a job interview. Point them out when you're hired.

Very well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:46 am

I forgot to mention: don't mention the "errors" out of the clear blue sky.

Mention them in connection with something that might affect a specific project. And mention them while pointing out the "possible good points" of the ideas of others. People hate it when they think you are "above it all," more intelligent than them.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2017, 11:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I forgot to mention: don't mention the "errors" out of the clear blue sky.

Mention them in connection with something that might affect a specific project. And mention them while pointing out the "possible good points" of the ideas of others. People hate it when they think you are "above it all," more intelligent than them.

Alright, but I still think we should conquer Mars and make our own colony of super geniuses.
Here goes nothing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:59 am

We have to GET to Mars, first......

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2017, 3:07 pm

Did you get the job?

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2017, 4:17 pm

soloha wrote:
Did you get the job?

Too early to know, I believe I did very well however.
Though in reality, anything they say you can't take to heart.

Here's what they mentioned just some key notes:
1. Asked about my availability
2. Mentioned that this job is an x amount of hours and the pay is xyz.
3. Said that they want me to develop a 2-step authentication method on my first day.
4. They completed the 1st round of interviews and will contact me in a few weeks to do an in person interview and take a tour around the department.
5. Interview was pretty much just personal chit chat at the end and discussion of various software development ideology's.

Keep in mind that this is a government post so it will take a while to move through the red lights.
But as my career advisor told me, you don't have the job until you get your first paycheck. So true.

Gotta keep moving even if they're not.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2017, 7:21 pm

SixthTitan wrote:
soloha wrote:
Did you get the job?

Too early to know, I believe I did very well however.
Though in reality, anything they say you can't take to heart.

Here's what they mentioned just some key notes:
1. Asked about my availability
2. Mentioned that this job is an x amount of hours and the pay is xyz.
3. Said that they want me to develop a 2-step authentication method on my first day.
4. They completed the 1st round of interviews and will contact me in a few weeks to do an in person interview and take a tour around the department.
5. Interview was pretty much just personal chit chat at the end and discussion of various software development ideology's.

Keep in mind that this is a government post so it will take a while to move through the red lights.
But as my career advisor told me, you don't have the job until you get your first paycheck. So true.

Gotta keep moving even if they're not.

Yep. Engineering eh? I'm a Software Architect. Worked for the US Treasury for a bit. I know well government bureaucracy. Good luck.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2017, 6:42 pm

The funniest thing just happened to me..

A day after the phone interview, I get another request for a phone interview the next day from another sector at the same employer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:20 pm

You're doing really good. I hope you get the job with the highest salary and benefits. And the most room for advancement.

avlien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2017, 2:18 pm

I have actually lost jobs due to this. Employers (in my experience) LOVE intelligence...coworkers, not so much. It always seems to me that one of the archetypes I encounter in the workplace is that of the "golden [boy/girl/etc]" who is always seems to know "the correct answer" in any situation. "Showing up" this person will quickly make a bitter enemy. I never even mean to do it, but I always seem to.

The other thing that has soured many of my work relationships is doing "too much" on a project or doing a task "too well". I assume that criticism is more of an efficiency issue, but it hasn't always been characterized as such.

Good to know I'm not the only one.
Good luck!

note: for the purpose of this conversation "human" = "neurotypical"