Rock band Spectrum defies stereotypes of people on the spect

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 12:15 am

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
Music is what feelings sound like, and regardless of who you are, music is what brings people together.

For the band Spectrum, its members are connected through their unique musical styles and ability to defy stereotypes as they perform on stage.

“When they play out, people always ask us, ‘When’re the autistic kids playing?’” says Jim Stewart, co-founder of Band Together Pittsburgh, which has worked with Spectrum for the past two years.

The nonprofit, which teaches kids with autism to use music as a form of expression, now presents the inaugural Pittsburgh Blues and Roots Festival at the Syria Shrine Center in Harmar on Saturday and Sunday. In partnership with the Autism Society of Pittsburgh, Mr. Stewart, John Vento and Ron Moondog Esser aim to raise awareness and educate people about autism.

Spectrum formed in October 2015, after various members sat in with the Nied’s Hotel Band. They cover classic rock, blues and pop artists, including Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stevie Wonder and the Beatles.

Through the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Band Together will continue its Mobile Music Lab, which involves bringing a trailer filled with instruments to autism programs across Southwestern Pennsylvania.

Proceeds from the Pittsburgh Blues and Roots Festival will support the work of the Autism Society of Pittsburgh, focusing on improving vocational education and job training for individuals post-high school who are on the spectrum.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 6:09 am

WAY TO GO! Defy the stereotypes! But if someone wants to sound "more autistic" according to some, let them do that too, because everything, as long as it's good, should be accepted. :)