Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 1:57 pm

Yup, another post!

Do any of you find that you can only be interested in one thing at a time? I am interested in Stampy and autism, but right now Stampy seems like the most boring thing in the world while autism is #1 on the interest list. When you get interested in something, does everything else become completely uninteresting?

In Tony Attwood's book, he said that the number of interests can change with age. I hope that happens- I want to be able to have two interests :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 4:00 pm

I have one major interest at a time, but many other interests grow from that one. My interest in tennis player Denis Istomin led me to study about Russia, Orenburg, Uzbekistan and Tashkent. My interest in watching tennis led me to want to learn how to play.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 4:04 pm

I can relate to what you describe with interests "branching" off from one another. My interest in Minecraft came from watching a Youtuber (Stampy) play Minecraft. My interest in genetic disorders came from my related interest in ASD.

Do you play tennis now, then? I played tennis for a while, but I was terrible :D .

- I've just realized we're both "fans" :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 6:20 am

Yes, I take tennis lessons and really enjoy them. It is nice to be able to talk about tennis and my favorite players without people thinking I'm weird.

Yes, we are both "fans." I notice you like a cartoon cat character. Do you have real cats, too. I have been a cat lover literally since birth. I have always been raised with pets in the house.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 6:28 am

I wouldn't go as far as to say that everything else becomes totally uninteresting to me when I'm really interested in something, but my main interest does have a habit of changing regularly. Usually between music and video games. And what makes the cycle especially annoying is that I have creative outlets in both fields of interest.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:16 pm

whatamievendoing wrote:
I wouldn't go as far as to say that everything else becomes totally uninteresting to me when I'm really interested in something, but my main interest does have a habit of changing regularly. Usually between music and video games. And what makes the cycle especially annoying is that I have creative outlets in both fields of interest.

Exactly- my interests cycle pretty regularly between Stampy and ASD. I find this "cycle" quite annoying because I sometimes purchase something related to one of my interests, only to realize that I'm now interested in the other thing and it was a waste of money :D .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:55 pm

I tend to have a couple or three "major" interests at a time.

There are many "minor" interests which could become "major" at any time.

Sometimes, new interests replace old interest; other times, the new interest complements the older interest.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:59 pm

IstominFan wrote:
Yes, I take tennis lessons and really enjoy them. It is nice to be able to talk about tennis and my favorite players without people thinking I'm weird.

Yes, we are both "fans." I notice you like a cartoon cat character. Do you have real cats, too. I have been a cat lover literally since birth. I have always been raised with pets in the house.

I'm glad I introduced my friend to Stampy Cat so I can talk about it without her thinking I'm weird :D .

Yes, Stampy is a nickname for a YouTuber who has a cat avatar in the game Minecraft. I used to have cats; I've always been a cat person :) .

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I tend to have a couple or three "major" interests at a time.

There are many "minor" interests which could become "major" at any time.

Sometimes, new interests replace old interest; other times, the new interest complements the older interest.

Have you found that the number of major interests you can have increases with age?

I know what you mean by new interests replacing old ones- reading used to be all I would do all day; now, I can't read a book not related to ASD for more than five minutes without getting bored :D .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:19 pm

I would say that the quantity of my interests had increased somewhat with age---based on the accumulation of knowledge.

The more you know, the more you want to know, and the less you think you know. Some of the most ignorant people think they know everything.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say that the quantity of my interests had increased somewhat with age---based on the accumulation of knowledge.

The more you know, the more you want to know, and the less you think you know. Some of the most ignorant people think they know everything.

I've noticed that's a common theme with people's interests here- they think they know nothing when they've researched it everyday for the past 20 years :D .

I would not consider myself knowledgeable on anything- especially not Stampy Cat since I haven't watched all of his videos yet! I need to learn a lot more about ASD's as well- I'm not very experienced with those either; textbooks don't really provide real life situations, and they don't offer answers to the MANY questions I still have :D .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:38 pm

LOL....I wish I was that modest.

I believe I know a good amount about a decent amount of subjects--but never enough, say, to claim I'm an "expert" on anything.

You're only 13 years old; you've had an excellent start.

You should supplement your previous reading with recent research findings. You should also seek to learn about "cognitive neuroscience."

You should read many, many case studies; I believe these are the most instructive things out there. You should read blogs produced by people with autism and with other "disorders." There are blogs about Down Syndrome, Williams Syndome, Fragile X Syndrome, many genetic disorders. You'll see a certain pattern of symptoms---but you will also see individual variation in how these symptoms manifest.

Many textbooks were written a while ago, and don't have much results of recent research. They also tend to see autism as a one-dimensional disorder.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:53 pm

Believe me, I didn't used to be that modest. My narcissistic coping mechanism caused severe OCD for over a year- that was fun :roll:

You know quite a lot about certain subjects; I can tell from reading your other posts :D .

I'm going to try and read more case studies and research findings. I think I've been reading too much textbook lately.

I love how certain people can all have the same "disorder" and still be so different from one another. It just shows how even though everybody who is thought to be "disordered" doesn't have to live like that is the center of who they are. We're all unique; I like that :D .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:55 pm

You should read the blogs, too. You learn so much that way.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 2:01 pm

I will :D . I have so much to learn from other people.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 3:39 am

I have like 12 but they really only fit into 2 categories. For example (these aren't my interests, just fake alias ones) I like many areas of math, but they all fit into math. Additionally, I like applying that math to physics, but then it only involves one area of physics. That's 11 interests involving math and 1 involving physics, 10 of those math related interests are all distinct but related under 1, which is math itself. So I like something for the sake of liking it, and branch down into it.
But essentially yea, I can only focus on one area of one small subject at a time, but chronologically end up with more information than I thought I could ever memorize consciously. It's like literally subconsciously absorbing the info haha