Life of women who do not know they are autistic

Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

LarrySellers
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2017, 9:24 pm

Me and my sister have it. My other two siblings do not.

I am not diagnosed, my sister is. She doesn't function as well socially as I do but she's way more intelligent than me. My family is way more critical of her, maybe because she's a female.

FromPluto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2017, 7:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
"The description we’ll give could be that of any woman who is on the autistic spectrum without knowing it"
COULD be ANY autistic women, not IS EVERY autism woman.

This is a good point too. I don't think one article is going to include everyone ever. I think maybe a few small changes would make it into an excellent article. The one poster suggested changing 'any' to 'many'. Small changes like that can make a big difference.

They were trying to use 'masking' as an explanation for why girls go under the radar. It wasn't the reason I went under the radar as a kid. They just were simply not looking for Asperger's in a small verbal girl in 1986 (especially not in South Africa). Asperger's wasn't even on the plate for me then... so I got Minimal Brain Damage (MBD). A charming label. This label is now mostly upgraded to ADD but the original diagnosis group included more autistic children than children with other conditions.

He he. Minimal brain damage. He he.

There are many more reasons than what has been mentioned as to why females get missed. All the reasons probably can't be covered in one article. Perhaps if they just said that... it would be helpful to the readers.

I liked the article. Really. I think it has many merits. I liked the part about the history of diagnosis. Perhaps more could have been added to that.

It is only one article after all, and it is bounds ahead of an article written a decade ago.

If anyone has better insights, perhaps they could write a better article that covers all the missing points. I'm not lucid enough in the topic myself but maybe if one day I am... I will try.

I think I've just come to accept that I'm not ever going to be fully represented in any article on female autistics. I do fit some stereotypes but not really. But probably we could do a better job ourselves, being that we actually face these issues.

Maybe there is a need of a greater volume of communication if we want our side to be heard. They say you have to tell one person something three times before they internalize it... And that is with simple stuff like the office BBQ will start at 11:00 am.