EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:39 am

Jesus Sperg wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That's a terrible meme.

That pic is of Antoine Dodson. The caption is a reference to TNT by AC/DC, not the Bed Intruder Song.

Fail

Now I understand how this is an autism forum.

:lmao:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:10 am

EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Mr. Bill was on Saturday Night Live in about 1980 or so. He was some sort of a funny doll who kept on being victimized. He used to say, "Oh no!"

Exactly. A high pitched "OH NO!" while heavy objects fell on him.

Mr Rogers was the host of the long running children's show "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" on PBS.

Mr. Rogers would address the young TV audience, and would punctuate his talk with "can you say [word X]?".

Mr. Rogers was frequently spoofed by TV comics both on, and off of SNL.. Eddie Murphy did a Mr. Rogers spoof on SNL. Complete with that signature "can you say.....?".

So CC is probably thinking of some Mr. Rogers parody, and has his name confused with Mr. Bill.

I think they're both wrong.

Krafty is right about who Mr Bill was.

And CC has apparently seen spoofs of Mr Rogers without the benefit of knowing what was being spoofed (ie who the original non comic Mr Rogers was), and understandably thought the comic spoofs were an original comic personae of whatever comedian she was watching on TV.

And then she flipped the two late night comedy "misters" around in her head. That how it looks to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:09 pm

Mister Rogers was widely spoofed because he was so soft-spoken, and seemed to live in a "pollyanna" world. His "real" world was much more serene and calm than the "World of Make Believe," which had more believable characters. Most of the people of his "real" world spoke softly, and had not a care in the world. They were very pleasant to each other. I like niceness and serenity and all---but it was all too much for me as a kid.

I used to wonder why he would show us how he put on, and took off, his sneakers. I thought that should be done in private.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 2:30 pm

Sounds kinda kinky.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 6:10 pm

Mr. Rogers was a religious person; I think he might even have been a minister.

Have you ever watched Mister Roger's Neighborhood?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 6:15 pm

I grew up watching Mr.Rodgers and Sesame Street.At first it was in black and white on our local PBS station.Then marvelous color.
Later on Mr.Bill and his nemesis,Sluggo.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mister Rogers was widely spoofed because he was so soft-spoken, and seemed to live in a "pollyanna" world. His "real" world was much more serene and calm than the "World of Make Believe," which had more believable characters. Most of the people of his "real" world spoke softly, and had not a care in the world. They were very pleasant to each other. I like niceness and serenity and all---but it was all too much for me as a kid.

I used to wonder why he would show us how he put on, and took off, his sneakers. I thought that should be done in private.

To be fair, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was one of the first TV shows aimed at young children.

You are bound to make a few mistakes when you are exploring uncharted territory.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:44 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

To be fair, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was one of the first TV shows aimed at young children.

You are bound to make a few mistakes when you are exploring uncharted territory.

There were twenty years of children's show before that. Howdy Doody, Capt. Kangaroo, and like that. Not that I am taking sides for, or against Mr. Rogers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:51 pm

I was just a silly kid; what did I know? I guess I thought he was instructing me in how to tie my shoes or something.

I don't know why: but I never really got into Captain Kangaroo. I didn't like it when the ping pong balls would be on the attack; that scared me. I didn't like Mr. Green Jeans, either, or Mr. Moose. I just didn't like the show.

I thought Wonderama was too long when I was young. As I got older and more patient, I liked it better.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 7:03 am

I must have watched Capt. Kangaroo on occasion when I was in target demographic age. I do remember he had a sidekick named Mr. Green Jeans. Don't remember much else about the show.

However the show was still on long after I left the demographic. Sometime in my teens (highschool, or even college) I remember coming home from school and mom telling the following anectdote:

She said she had just completed vacuuming the house, and she plopped down on the sofa in front of the tube to rest, when Capt. Kangaroo came on. Just as she got up to change the channel she got a huge muscle spasm and suddenly couldn't move.

So she was forced against her will to watch the entire episode of Captain Kangaroo.

She exclaimed "GAWD! I don't see how even a five year old could find that show interesting!".

=================================================================

I wonder if they have tried that on our prisoners at Gitmo! :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:42 am

I remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr.Blue Jeans.Later on there was an urban myth going around that Mr.Blue Jeans was Frank Zappa's dad. :lol:
All I remember from that show was a giant molar tooth that had arms that raised up and down and sang this song,"Colgate fluoride MFP(?) helps prevent that cavity,and it tastes good naturally."Maybe that was a commercial that ran at that time.
I vaguely remember a show called Romper Room.
Then there was HR Puffinstuff.Hated that show.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 12:14 pm

I remember Captain Kangaroo, Wonderama, Romper Room and The Soupy Sales Show

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 12:25 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr.Blue Jeans.Later on there was an urban myth going around that Mr.Blue Jeans was Frank Zappa's dad. :lol:
All I remember from that show was a giant molar tooth that had arms that raised up and down and sang this song,"Colgate fluoride MFP(?) helps prevent that cavity,and it tastes good naturally."Maybe that was a commercial that ran at that time.

It's "Mr. GREEN Jeans"! !! !! !

Not BLUE Jeans.

But yeah. I forgot "Romper Room" in my above list of vintage kid shows that predated Mr. Rogers. Howdy Dowdy was before my time, but I do remember seeing Romper Room (don't remember much specifically about it though).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

It's "Mr. GREEN Jeans"! ! ! ! ! !

Not BLUE Jeans.

But yeah. I forgot "Romper Room" in my above list of vintage kid shows that predated Mr. Rogers. Howdy Dowdy was before my time, but I do remember seeing Romper Room (don't remember much specifically about it though).

Lol to the jeans.My bad.But if I remember right,didn't he wear overalls?
I guess they used green jeans as a play off green beans.
I remember the giant creepy tooth better than Mr Green Jeans.It had a face on it,just weird.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 2:02 pm

Misslizard wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

It's "Mr. GREEN Jeans"! ! ! ! ! !

Not BLUE Jeans.

Lol to the jeans.My bad.But if I remember right,didn't he wear overalls?
I guess they used green jeans as a play off green beans.
I remember the giant creepy tooth better than Mr Green Jeans.It had a face on it,just weird.

Actually I think that his "jeans" were actually indeed overalls.

My psyche has spared me conscious memory of that tooth.

But who knows?

Maybe a psychiatric hypnotist could uncover my lost memories of it! And in the process cure me of aspergers! :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 8:56 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Also, I agree with Ezra's post about lockin'-up your daughter, etc., and runnin' for your life.[/b][/color]

Why exactly? OJ Simpson isn't a serial philanderer or serial killer? He looks particularly aged like he probably needs a walking stick...hardly a threat to anyone

I'm guessing since he killed a white woman that you and Ezra think he is maybe going on a "wanderlust" to hunt for white virgins?