Chester Bennington Linkin Park singer found dead

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm

Chester Bennington, Linkin Park Singer, Is Dead at 41

Quote:
Brian Elias, the chief of operations for the Los Angeles County coroner’s office, confirmed the death and said it was being investigated as a possible suicide.

Mr. Bennington, who was known for his piercing scream and free-flowing anguish, released seven albums with Linkin Park. The band’s most recent record, “One More Light” arrived in May and debuted at No 1 on the Billboard album chart. The band was scheduled to start a tour with a concert on July 27 in Mansfield, Mass.

In May, he responded to the suicide by hanging of his friend the singer Chris Cornell in a note he shared on social media. “I can’t imagine a world without you in it,” he wrote. “I pray you find peace in the next life.” (Mr. Bennington also performed Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” at the funeral; Mr. Cornell would have turned 53 today.)

But Mr. Bennington had also been open about his struggles with the drug and alcohol addiction that had fueled many of his biggest hits with Linkin Park.

Chester Charles Bennington was born on March 20, 1976, in Phoenix, Ariz., the youngest of four children. His mother was a nurse and his father a local police detective prone to pulling double-shifts; the singer has described his childhood as an unhappy one, citing his parents’ divorce when he was 11 and frequent molestation by an older friend, beginning when Mr. Bennington was “about seven or eight” and continuing until he was 13. “It destroyed my self-confidence,” he told Kerrang! magazine of the abuse in 2008. “Like most people, I was too afraid to say anything. I didn’t want people to think I was gay or that I was lying. It was a horrible experience.”

Though the band was popular among the headbangers of Ozzfest and the annual “Family Values” tour, it never shied from its pop sensibilities as Mr. Bennington shifted easily between belting and growling. “In the End,” with his soaring chorus, reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2001.

Linkin Park would push even further into the rap and pop realms on its 2003 follow-up, “Meteora,” which sold four million copies, and even collaborated with Jay-Z on the platinum mash-up album “Collision Course” the following year. The band’s latest album, “One More Light,” features Pusha T and the grime rapper Stormzy and uses songwriters who have written for Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:02 pm

Really sorry to hear that. :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:34 am

Linkin Park Singer Chester Bennington Died by Hanging, Coroner Confirms

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:53 am

I remember hearing about this the other day. Such a shame. :'( I was pretty devastated when I got the news.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

23 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm

It was quite a shock to me when I first heard about it. I really liked LP and their music. They brought a lot of inspiration to the new bands that I also listen to thanks to them. RIP Chester Bennington.