Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2017, 7:04 am

Hello, I was wondering if any other aspies have ever been to a nightclub and enjoyed it? I understand for some of us with sensory issues, the lights, smells and loud music may cause issues, and nightclub isn't really the usual place an aspie visits, but I have been dragged along to one a few times with my close friends, we got drunk before we went in so it was pretty easy as I quite enjoyed the feeling of being drunk as my anxiety dissapears. Though the place was packed, I enjoyed the loud music and lights very Much, ordering drinks was no issue. I even tried to talk to a girl but failed. I would just sit down and enjoy the music and the alcahol while my NT friends danced and I will admit I have had some good nights in these night clubs until I get kicked out for being sick. Even on holiday in Turkey with my sister I was the same, at the bar getting drunk every night, even making some drunk friends. Usually I hate noisy busy places but not these. Anyone else have similar experiences?

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:47 am

Normally quite the opposite. I hated risking my hearing with the loud noise, too up tight to use the dance floor, hated not being able to converse.

Was in the group of four who bailed out early from a nightclub trip at the end of a big training course.

However, I mellow with age. At a club last year I enjoyed just letting the music wash over me and drifting off for a nao - sound levels have come down a bit over the years and sound systems have lower distortion these days.

I actually enjoy BDSM clubs. The music is quieter, the UK scene has an expectation of manners on people taking part and I gave observed a proper respect paid to alcohol.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:47 am

I haven't been Dx so it might not be useful information to you but I used to go to nightclubs and rock gigs and I had lots of anxiety at places throughout the night ( leaving the house , entering the club etc ) but I always needed to get wasted otherwise going out was a non starter. I'm not sure if I had sensory issues back then or just didn't understand them but I really enjoyed loud music as it drowned out nearly everything for me , if it wasn't loud enough it definitely impacted on my night.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:57 am

I like nightclubs and find the beat and lighting stimulating.
loudness doesn't really bother me because I'm kind of deaf.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:04 am

This might be a bit strange, but...
I hate/hated night clubs... the noise, lights, people. It's a nightmare.
On the other hand, I played in a band for a lot of years and played in a lot of night clubs. That never bothered me, I always felt apart from the crowd when I was up on stage. I always wore earplugs to protect my hearing and sometimes wore dark glasses... for the stage persona. Once the gig was over I never liked mixing with the punters, just wanted to pack up and go home.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:10 am

Raleigh wrote:
I like nightclubs and find the beat and lighting stimulating.

I found some of the lighting was hypnotic for me and loved throwing shapes on the dance floor close to my friends but in a world of my own , it was like socializing without actually having to interact with any one.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:47 am

When I went to them back in the 80's I went to see a particular band or hear that music style, not to socialize so that music part was sensory pleasure that cancelled out a lot the sensory and other nastiness.

Back then you could not just download the sound you wanted. You had to go out and seek it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 21 Jul 2017, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:17 am

I can't say I have ever been to a nightclub but I usually avoid bars like the plague because my main (and possibly only) sensory sensitivity is sound, and even so, I suspect I would have to drink copious amounts of alcohol to feel comfortable around NTs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:19 am

I used to go to nightclubs in my early 20s. Got depressed all the time in them. Just stopped going.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:45 am

I made myself occasionally go to nightclubs when I was in my twenties expressly and solely because I thought it "should" be something I do. I had managed to make a couple of gal-pal friendships and once in a while we went. I was excited to go only because to my mind it seemed like I was making myself be "normal."

I didn't even like it. But like many things I tried to do in my life to "be normal," I put up with it. I suppressed my issues and forced myself.

I did this A LOT in my life. Which is partly why I'm now sick of doing so and beginning to demand that some things be the way I need them to be. Then you get people posting here telling you off for that, saying things like "the world can't accommodate all your needs just because you're an aspie."

Yeah well I've accommodated all the world's needs too much and I'm sick of it.

Sorry about the rant, just tired of the truth of my own life where I look back and realize all the things I forced myself to do and to "like."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:54 am

I don't like clubs because I don't like the drinking. I've never been fussed about getting stupidly drunk, maybe because the after effects will make me anxious (the hangover the next morning). Also I don't want to lose control of my actions and have the risk of being filmed from a phone and put all over the internet, doing something really embarrassing like dancing about in public with my pants round my ankles. Or getting aggressive and punching people. So, nah, I've got better things to do than get into that state.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:56 am

I've never gotten drunk in my life. I just never developed a taste for the stuff.

They always say things like coffee and alcohol are "acquired" tastes. I just never "acquired" them.

Just like I never developed wisdom teeth.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:05 am

I'm another one who doesn't like the taste of alcohol, it tastes awful to my tastebuds. They say that various people really do have different tongue receptors that make alcohol either taste good or even terrific, or taste terrible, and I must be one of those whose tongue receptors literally deliver the message to my brain as "tastes terrible."

I'd seriously rather ask for a Coke rather than a wine or beer.

And then everyone thinks you must be a recovering alcoholic! Nope, nothing of the sort. Just want a refreshing soda thank you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:08 am

I'm definitely a Coke man myself. I also like some of those "crystal" drinks.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've never gotten drunk in my life. I just never developed a taste for the stuff.

I was drunk for the majority of my late teens and still didn't acquire the taste , I've never liked the taste of alcohol , the first couple of drinks were always the worse but got easier the more I was drunk.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:11 am

I so love Coke!

I know it's bad for you and all that, but oh, there's nothing to beat how a Coke "hits the spot."

I also love a really good cream soda. I once bought a brand called "Olde Brooklyn," lol!

I bought it in Texas! Do they actually make and sell it in Brooklyn I wonder? :lol: