How many here are ASD/NVLD and schizotypal ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:40 am

Is it even possible to be both? Although not diagnosed I fit NVLD more than ASD.

I also seem to fit the following schizotypal traits

ICD

Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric or peculiar;
Poor rapport with others and a tendency to withdraw socially;
Suspiciousness or paranoid ideas;
Unusual perceptual experiences including somatosensory (bodily) or other illusions, depersonalization or derealization;
Occasional transient quasi-psychotic episodes with intense illusions, auditory or other hallucinations and delusion-like ideas, usually occurring without external provocation.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:50 am

I think I've seen schizotypal written in some of my notes. It's not an official diagnosis, but I suspect if I sought a dx and told the truth, it would be.

Quote:
Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric or peculiar;
Poor rapport with others and a tendency to withdraw socially;
Suspiciousness or paranoid ideas;
Unusual perceptual experiences including somatosensory (bodily) or other illusions, depersonalization or derealization;
Occasional transient quasi-psychotic episodes with intense illusions, auditory or other hallucinations and delusion-like ideas, usually occurring without external provocation.

All of these fit me, too, though there is some crossover with ASD traits here.
'Odd, eccentric or peculiar' behaviour seems a very wide net to cast :lol: .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:54 am

Racheypie is just a trip and three quarters...... :D

I wonder....if her "affliction" is actually a Gothic Epic Novel trying to emerge from the Unconscious.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:09 am

Oh Kraftie :mrgreen: :heart:
That thought is just delicious.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:38 am

I'll let you know if I ever get diagnosed :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:58 am

I fit schizotypal criteria very well too and in the past was diagnosed with 'mild' schizophrenia. When I was searching about schizotypal, I saw that some professionals named this disorder alternatively mild schizophrenia too. So I thought this was what my doctor meant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:38 am

I really don't feel it's the "diagnosis" of a person that matters.

What matters is how a person relates to the world, to other people, and to themselves.

One can be diagnosed up the kazoo---and still be "better off" than someone who is yet to be diagnosed.

A person who is undiagnosed needs our kindness, just like a diagnosed person.

I feel a diagnosis does matter for some sort of "clarity," though--some sort of focus. One can focus, then, on what the person is diagnosed with, so the diagnosed person could be helped appropriately.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm

Ideally dx should matter less than the array of symptoms a person presents with. Unfortunately though the help and treatment you get tends to be linked to the dx you're given.

If you are ASD/NVLD but not diagnosed as such,for example, you are not going to be given much,if any,help,support and treatment for that.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm

firemonkey wrote:
If you are ASD/NVLD but not diagnosed as such,for example, you are not going to be given much,if any,help,support and treatment for that.

And if you are diagnosed as such, you mightn't be given much, if any, either. :lol:
I have several requests for assistance pending since last year. Chasing them up only leads to dead ends or being fobbed off, and the energy taken to phone or book appointments to do such chasing is argh!

I don't think we should see ourselves as our diagnostic labels whatever they may be, but having one really has made a difference in how I navigate the world, and specifically how I feel about myself.
I can see now why I find some things difficult, and why some periods of my life were particularly hellish. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me, but I feel if I were to re-enter those situations now knowing, hey, I am autistic, I would likely fair better.
Knowing why I get so stressed at things other people find so easy allows me to be kinder to myself, and to find alternative paths or coping strategies where possible.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 6:23 am

There is a category of "schizotypal autism," called Mendelssohn's syndrome. It is said to be common in people of Russian ancestry.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 7:39 am

IstominFan wrote:
There is a category of "schizotypal autism," called Mendelssohn's syndrome. It is said to be common in people of Russian ancestry.

@SaveFerris posted on another thread that the Wikipedia article on "schizotypal autism" was a hoax.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 8:38 am

firemonkey wrote:
IstominFan wrote:

@SaveFerris posted on another thread that the Wikipedia article on "schizotypal autism" was a hoax.

Yep , Wiki removed that article and cited the reason for removal as a hoax because there was no evidence / research to back it up , which is not technically a hoax in my book.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 9:30 am

Yes, that article seemed to reinforce the erroneous claim that autism was a form of childhood schizophrenia. The two conditions are entirely different.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 1:28 pm

I have a hope that it is not "necro-posting" :)

I was many times diagnosed with both Asperger's syndrome and schizotypal disorder. I have NVLD-like IQ profile (VIQ 126, PIQ 104, VIQ 22 points higher) and I suppose that in USA or Canada I would be diagnosed with NVLD instead of AS(D). NVLD appears to fit me better than ASD (I am mostly verbal thinkr, have not precocious visualizational abilities).

I suppose that I got diagnosis of schizotypal disorder (F21 in ICD-10) due to experience of numerous coincidences, which started on IX 2014. I was diagnosed first time with F21 27.01.2015. I have also OCD. I think that I may not have schizotypy and autism spectrum disorder at all, but I may have NVLD mixed with OCD and perhaps with some sort of schizoid personality disorder.