Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JonnaJarvela
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2017, 1:41 pm

I've been seeing this psychiatrist for over 2 years and i'm on antipsychotic and antidepressant because i have anxiety disorder and major depression. he also diagnosed me with aspergers. now i have to see another psychiatrist but he doesn't believe that i have aspergers. everything is ok till now but he diagnosed me with atypical psychosis and didn't say a word about this. we didn't even talk much. i brought my mom with me. i didn't say i was psychotic. there was literally nothing to indicate that. now i'm doubting everything. like maybe my mom isn't real and when i said i brought my mom with me there was actually no one there?? I'm freaking out. doctors in our country think that we are all bunch of ignorants so they say nothing. they don't say what you have why you are using medications etc. i noticed this long after i left his office so i couldn't ask. did he do this so that i could buy antipsychotics? my doctor never does that. did he do that because i actually am psychotic and doesn't know about it? is it possible?

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2017, 1:59 pm

wooooooooaaaaah lets slow down here.

OK firstly you have already been given a diagnosis..THAT STILL STANDS! I have been in enough MDT meetings to have seen turfism at it very worse, and I mean its very worse (Not me, this is before I knew I was autistic, I am/was a professional)

Firstly how unprofessional is it question a diagnosis made by another professional, answer, very ,very. You have already identified that the assessment was short, and that you were not fully engaged. Does autism theory explain you to yourself? If it does, then some bloke on a salary has absolutely no right to take your identity from you.

You have already been diagnosed, were you happy with with this? Take it from me (I know what I am taking about here) Many, many clinical staff do not know nearly enough about autism, they have a generic understanding, but that all they have...I could talk them under the table.

I take it you are in the United States...things are a little calmer in the UK, but much depends where you start your journey. I have been very lucky. But then I came from a professional view point and have been very lucky with the friends and professional relationships I have made...I am blessed.

BBC: Radio 4

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2017, 2:03 pm

Would you PM me please, the more I read this the worse it gets..exactly which diagnostic tests did the "professional" assess you?

BBC: Radio 4

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 2:07 pm

Gosh, you must be panicking right now.

I have OCD which causes anxiety about going psychotic, so I can relate to everything you said about being confused. The one thing that helped me is the quote "If you think you are going psychotic, you are not psychotic." That is because people who are psychotic lack the part of the brain that provides them with insight. It is literally destroyed. I doubt you are psychotic, though I would have to see you in person to be sure.

Your new "psychiatrist" sounds like an idiot. Ask him why he diagnosed you with atypical psychosis. Doctors should be able to defend their diagnosis.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine