Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sandwichpowers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2017, 3:44 pm

Am I the only one who finds people who don't have autism but have some mental disorder (depression, BPD, bipolar, etc.) incredibly annoying? The term was invented to protect autistic people and others with neurological disorders, which are different from mental disorders. Personally it seems to me these people don't want to be classified as neurotypicals because it makes them look "less special". Even worse, whereas the word was just made as an alternative to "normal people," so as not to imply autistic people are abnormal or defective, these people have turned it into an insult. I don't use Tumblr regularly but browsing the neurotypical tag, it's impossible to miss the countless people shaming and hating neurotypicals. I feel like I'm now forced to associate with these types of people, and I can't use the word without sounding disgustingly pretentious. What do you guys think?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 4:48 pm

I'm not annoyed by people with mental disorders in general. I am bothered by people who have mental disorders only (no neurological difference) considering themselves neurodivergent. And I am bothered by the snowflakes who believe that anyone can just claim to be anything they want to claim. Neurodivergence is just one of the many labels they like to claim.

I was actually thinking about posting about this issue myself. I found an article written by someone claiming to be neurodivergent because of depression, which makes no sense because people can recover from depression and a huge number of people get depression. So is she temporarily neurodivergent? And what is she diverging from if so many people have experienced the same thing?

I suspect that a lot of these people are young, so maybe they will stop with this nonsense once they mature. Anyways I have seen people on WP complain about neurotypicals, and I assumed that at least some of them were autistic. I don't think it's just the people with mental disorders doing that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:02 pm

Are there actually massive amounts of nonautistic people specifically and people without neurological differences generally claiming to be neurodivergent? Or is this like the "aspie wannabee" idea prevalent on wrong planet a few years back? That idea made people both doubt their own professional diagnosis, fearful of seeking a diagnosis or disclosing that they are or might be autistic lest they be associated with fakers, whiners, and excuse makers. IMHO there is still lingering damage from that.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sandwichpowers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2017, 5:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Are there actually massive amounts of nonautistic people specifically and people without neurological differences generally claiming to be neurodivergent?

I found plenty more than this example, but this was the post on Tumblr that made me angry enough to make a post on it here:
That was, I think, the third result when searching "tumblr neurotypical" on Google.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:23 pm

There's people debating where to draw the line between neurological and psychological. Some say that the two should be one field, since they both deal with the brain. So maybe they're using that basis to say they're neurodivergent. If they want to do that, it's fine with me. I just think that 'NT' is a short and easy way to refer to normal people.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Are there actually massive amounts of nonautistic people specifically and people without neurological differences generally claiming to be neurodivergent?

Of course not. Few people have even ever heard of the word "neurodivergent," so there can't be a "massive" number of people using it at all, let alone using it in this particular circumstance.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 3:36 am

Sandwichpowers wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I found plenty more than this example, but this was the post on Tumblr that made me angry enough to make a post on it here:
That was, I think, the third result when searching "tumblr neurotypical" on Google.

Ah Tumbler again. The site is a problem.

1. That is where I have been told a number of times where the "aspie wannabes" hang.

2. That site really seems like it should be avoided all costs because it warps perceptions of thier regular users of what the most of the world is like. The thinking over there is the opposite of most people in my experience.

The users there seem to be perticularly inclined to broadcast and complain about thier false perceptions repeatedly. Combining a couple of cliches if you repeat a false perception often enough it becomes reality for too many people. IMHO the amount of aspie wanabees is small compared to the perception of the problem. The amount of ND wanabees is probably a fraction of the amount of aspie/autistic wanabees. Lets not make a problem where none exists. The definition of neurodivergent while interesting is the least of the problems neurodivergent people face.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 7:13 am

Sandwichpowers wrote:
Am I the only one who finds people who don't have autism but have some mental disorder (depression, BPD, bipolar, etc.) incredibly annoying?

Somebody with a nuerodevelopmental disorder associated with an intellectual delay are probably more qualified to be nuerodivergent than us...

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2017, 7:36 am

The way I see it, is that if your brain permanently differs from the typical brain, you're neurotypical - which means you're born with a neurodiverse brain and it will last your lifetime. This counts for autism spectrum disorders, adhd, etc. Therefore it cannot, in my opinion, be used by people who are merely depressed for example. People with temporary or treatable mental disorders aren't neurodiverse, unless they already have a neurological condition to begin with.

Sandwichpowers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2017, 1:07 pm

@ASPartOfMe

The problem is while they're definitely a minority, they're a very, very loud minority that everyone knows about. I personally despise the website and would like to be able to just ignore it, but I've seen time and time again its users taking an actual real-world problem and turning it into a meaningless label for any special snowflake to throw around. For example, in the real world I have transgender friends who've been ostracized by their families and shunned by entire groups of people, who are miserable with what they can't control. These people are fighting everyday for a voice and for respect, some times to their literal deaths, and then Tumblr sees this and thinks, "oh wow, how cool! Well, I identify as cloudgender/wolfkin/some other made-up BS." Again, a minority, but a loud enough minority to where the people who actually suffer from gender dysphoria aren't taken seriously anymore, and now it's fifty times harder for them to stick up for themselves when they're forced to associate with that group. My point is, I don't want the same to happen to autistic people, I don't want the labels "autistic" and "neurotypical" to become meaningless, because we need that representation, and we need to be taken seriously.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:29 pm

Sandwichpowers wrote:
@ASPartOfMe

The problem is while they're definitely a minority, they're a very, very loud minority that everyone knows about. I personally despise the website and would like to be able to just ignore it, but I've seen time and time again its users taking an actual real-world problem and turning it into a meaningless label for any special snowflake to throw around. For example, in the real world I have transgender friends who've been ostracized by their families and shunned by entire groups of people, who are miserable with what they can't control. These people are fighting everyday for a voice and for respect, some times to their literal deaths, and then Tumblr sees this and thinks, "oh wow, how cool! Well, I identify as cloudgender/wolfkin/some other made-up BS." Again, a minority, but a loud enough minority to where the people who actually suffer from gender dysphoria aren't taken seriously anymore, and now it's fifty times harder for them to stick up for themselves when they're forced to associate with that group. My point is, I don't want the same to happen to autistic people, I don't want the labels "autistic" and "neurotypical" to become meaningless, because we need that representation, and we need to be taken seriously.

I did note they are a loud minority. But "everybody" or more realistically enough people to cause problems would not know about it if the trolls were not fed and the snowflakes enabled by us who are not trolls/snowflakes. Stop giving attention seekers attention.

I do realize sometimes attention seekers generate so much attention that the problem becomes so big ignoring it is burying one's head in the sand. Social Justice Warriors are an example of that. We are not at that point with ND wannabees, not close.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm

Why is Tumblr the only place for wannabes? Why don't they hang out here or anywhere else?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 6:55 pm

I am more amused by the term. I don't think there needs to be an us vs them mentality.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2017, 7:29 am

[quote=Or is this like the "aspie wannabee" idea prevalent on wrong planet a few years back? That idea made people both doubt their own professional diagnosis, fearful of seeking a diagnosis or disclosing that they are or might be autistic lest they be associated with fakers, whiners, and excuse makers. IMHO there is still lingering damage from that.[/quote]

There are aspic wannabe's, really...wow? Why in the name of god why would anyone want to do that, its not like being socially inept, obsessive, permanently anxious and viewed as a bloody misfit is cool.

To be honest I could have done without it

BBC: Radio 4

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 10:23 am

Voxish wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Or is this like the "aspie wannabee" idea prevalent on wrong planet a few years back? That idea made people both doubt their own professional diagnosis, fearful of seeking a diagnosis or disclosing that they are or might be autistic lest they be associated with fakers, whiners, and excuse makers. IMHO there is still lingering damage from that.

There are aspic wannabe's, really...wow? Why in the name of god why would anyone want to do that, its not like being socially inept, obsessive, permanently anxious and viewed as a bloody misfit is cool.

To be honest I could have done without it

With millions of people in the world there are bound to be some. There are always people with factitoius disorders. The there is the idea that people seeing socially ackward genius but cute "Aspie" charactors on TV think Aspies are cool and want to emulate them. It was thought the some wannabes did it as an excuse to behave badly. There are a decent amount of WP members who self diagnose. They were repeatedly and bitterly criticized for "wanting" to have a condition percieved to be trendy.

But I agree with you. Most autistic wannabes will quickly find out that faking, copying or deluding themselves they have a condition they thought was trendy will get them bullied, condescended to, and infintilized.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2017, 12:31 pm

Amazing, I still can't get my head round it, I feel sorry for them.

BBC: Radio 4