Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:12 pm

I know that a large amount of people with an ASD have sensory integration difficulties of some sort. What are the sensory issues you struggle with the most? I am also curious as to why some people's sensory issues get better with age, others' stay the same, and others' get worse. My sensory processing difficulties seem to get worse every year, especially when I am stressed out from school. Is this normal?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm

I have a good amount of difficulty when more than one person is talking to me at a time. I become confused. I start doing klutzy things, and I drop things.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have a good amount of difficulty when more than one person is talking to me at a time. I become confused. I start doing klutzy things, and I drop things.

That sounds like me :D . I can't even have a conversation with more than one person without getting overwhelmed. Do you find it gets worse under stress?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:25 pm

It gets much worse under stress.

I used to entertain kids in my class when I would throw tantrums because of sensory issues.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:30 pm

Thanks- mine do too. that's why I was wondering.

I'm sorry people found your tantrums a form of entertainment. The fire alarm is one noise that really hurts my ears. I get really overwhelmed by classrooms; teachers try to fit everything possible into one tiny little room. It's quite visually overstimulating.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2017, 8:34 pm

same. If more than one person is talking at once It all becomes very loud and chaotic and too much. sometimes a sudden loud sound we'll make it so all sound afterwards is too much and I have to remove myself. occasionally when someone is listening to the radio it will suddenly seem very loud to me and It's upsetting until it gets turned down. I have issues with a lot of fluorescent lighting as well. And some smells make me want to puke. Like sausage :-) issues with smells have gotten better my issues with noises has gotten worse. lights are about the same. Stress definitely aggravates

Last edited by soloha on 21 Jul 2017, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

My worst ones are smells and sounds. Perfumes and cigarette smoke make my head feel like it's about to explode. Also, the sound of the spray bottle and scissors during a haircut completely sets me on edge and has made me jump out of the salon chair mid-haircut on multiple occasions.

One of the most awful sounds to me, though, is the sound of breathing. I have to sleep with a loud fan right next to my head so I can fall asleep without hearing myself breathe. When I moved in with my partner a few years ago, I realized this was weird and I tried to stop doing it but I ended up barely sleeping for the next 8 months and I finally had to accept it as a necessity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:37 pm

It's weird: the décor of a classroom didn't matter to me. Nowadays, I seen YouTube videos of classrooms. They have all the walls covered with everything under the sun. When I went to school, there was lots of bare wall. I didn't mind that.

I was mildly startled by the fire alarm, but it wasn't too bad.

I would throw the tantrum when one kid would call me "ret*d," then the other kids would take turns calling me names. It was a sensory thing, plus a frustration thing. The kids were really entertained by this. And I would frequently get blamed for it.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:39 pm

soloha wrote:
same. If more than one person is talking at once It all becomes very loud and chaotic and too much. sometimes a sudden loud sound we'll make it so all sound afterwards is too much and I have to remove myself. occasionally when someone is listening to the radio it will suddenly seem very loud to me and It's upsetting until it gets turned down. I have issues with a lot of fluorescent lighting as well. And some smells make me want to puke. Like sausage :-) places with smells of gotten better my issues with noises has gotten worse and lights are about the same

Thanks for replying. I get what you said about sudden loud sounds. They always make me jump and scream. I hate it when fluorescent lights flicker. I've found that my auditory and tactile sensitivities have gotten so much worse with age and stress.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:53 pm

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
My worst ones are smells and sounds. Perfumes and cigarette smoke make my head feel like it's about to explode. Also, the sound of the spray bottle and scissors during a haircut completely sets me on edge and has made me jump out of the salon chair mid-haircut on multiple occasions.

One of the most awful sounds to me, though, is the sound of breathing. I have to sleep with a loud fan right next to my head so I can fall asleep without hearing myself breathe. When I moved in with my partner a few years ago, I realized this was weird and I tried to stop doing it but I ended up barely sleeping for the next 8 months and I finally had to accept it as a necessity.

I also have difficulty with sounds, so I understand. One of my neighbors can't stand the sound of people eating.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's weird: the décor of a classroom didn't matter to me. Nowadays, I seen YouTube videos of classrooms. They have all the walls covered with everything under the sun. When I went to school, there was lots of bare wall. I didn't mind that.

I was mildly startled by the fire alarm, but it wasn't too bad.

I would throw the tantrum when one kid would call me "ret*d," then the other kids would take turns calling me names. It was a sensory thing, plus a frustration thing. The kids were really entertained by this. And I would frequently get blamed for it.

Classrooms nowadays are so horrible. I've noticed that the teachers I like more are the ones with more bare classrooms who don't yell as much.

The fire alarm gives me so much anxiety because I don't know when it is going to go off.

I'm sorry about that. ret*d is a horrible word. I don't think you should have been blamed for it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:03 pm

LOL...it was bad for people with disabilities in the old days. It was frequently assumed that kids like that were just being "bad," and needed to be sent to the principal or whatever.

Even in schools for kids with disabilities.

I went to school before there were IEP's.

It was considered sort of a "rite of passage" to be bullied. You were supposed to learn to defend yourself. Rarely did teachers intervene when a kid was being bullied. And never outside of the school grounds themselves.

I don't bear any grudges. It was life then. In some places, it's gotten better. In others, not so much better.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL...it was bad for people with disabilities in the old days. It was frequently assumed that kids like that were just being "bad," and needed to be sent to the principal or whatever.

Even in schools for kids with disabilities.

I went to school before there were IEP's.

It was considered sort of a "rite of passage" to be bullied. You were supposed to learn to defend yourself. Rarely did teachers intervene when a kid was being bullied. And never outside of the school grounds themselves.

I don't bear any grudges. It was life then. In some places, it's gotten better. In others, not so much better.

I get it. I'm glad schools are better today, but that doesn't take away mistakes in the past. I'm glad you don't hold grudges, kraftie. Even though what they did was terrible, you're too nice of a person :D .

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:12 pm

Bright lighting especially flouros, spin me out and can make me nauseous.

Shops, Always hated going into shops, have got a little better but even supermarket shopping will try and time it for about 3pm here as that is the quietest time or about an hour before closing.

Same as Kraftie, when more than one person is talking at the same time... grrrr

Social groups. Prefer one on one...

Phones

Door knocking.

Loud bikes,

Pub emptying out bottles.

cant have a conversation when there is music in the background. Just kind of see the lips move but nothing registers.

This one is a bit weird but the thought of tooth brushing or seeing someone brush their teeth sends weird shivers all over me.

Scratchy clothes labels. Used to rip them out of my clothes when younger, even went as far as seeing a friend that had a label out i would go over and rip it out with my teeth.. Sounds bad but did it in a joking way and didnt seem to upset anyone, as they kinda laughed... Dont do that now, but nothing worse than being in a que and the person in front has a label sticking out... It is sooo tempting! lol

Certain fabrics like rough wool... When in army cadets most tops were made of this horrid wool, felt like i had fleas biting me all over my torso.

Certain perfumes make me nauseous.

Heat.. Has become a mind over matter thing. But when younger at home used to leave the windows open even during the English winters. Mom used to come and wake me up in a winter coat. She always tried to turn the bedroom radiator on which peeved me off a little! Always politely asked her not to do it.

Certain colours on over head projectors used to look very fuzzy to me and unable to read them.

People turning up without prior notice! ahhh

Eating in front of people or going to restaurants.

Being stuck in the middle of two people on a plane. Will always try to get an isle seat if possible.

Coffee. Still drink the stuff, but increased anxiety, shakes, nausea etc

I am sure there are more but again have had no sleep and those were off the top of the noggin.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:17 pm

^^ Man....before you knew you were autistic, I can imagine how frustrating lots of that stuff must have been.

When I was 18, I told myself that I would never let anybody bully me again. Except for a few incidents (when I was 18), I never got bullied again. I told myself I was a grown man, and not a kid, and would not tolerate kids stuff, because I was a grown man.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have a good amount of difficulty when more than one person is talking to me at a time.

Yep , I have a real problem with this but I'm not sure if I've always had it or it was minor and got worse with age. It doesn't even have to be another person sometimes background noise of a TV or Radio also makes it difficult. It's like my brain doesn't want to filter out anything and tries to process everything at once , it's like I can't choose what my mind wants to listen too. I have other sensory issues but I can live with them. I once had two people just talking at me about different subjects as if the other person wasn't even there , I thought my brain was going to implode :skull:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard