Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have a good amount of difficulty when more than one person is talking to me at a time.

Yep , I have a real problem with this but I'm not sure if I've always had it or it was minor and got worse with age. It doesn't even have to be another person sometimes background noise of a TV or Radio also makes it difficult. It's like my brain doesn't want to filter out anything and tries to process everything at once , it's like I can't choose what my mind wants to listen too. I have other sensory issues but I can live with them. I once had two people just talking at me about different subjects as if the other person wasn't even there , I thought my brain was going to implode :skull:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 9:37 pm

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
My worst ones are smells and sounds. Perfumes and cigarette smoke make my head feel like it's about to explode. Also, the sound of the spray bottle and scissors during a haircut completely sets me on edge and has made me jump out of the salon chair mid-haircut on multiple occasions.

One of the most awful sounds to me, though, is the sound of breathing. I have to sleep with a loud fan right next to my head so I can fall asleep without hearing myself breathe. When I moved in with my partner a few years ago, I realized this was weird and I tried to stop doing it but I ended up barely sleeping for the next 8 months and I finally had to accept it as a necessity.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

the older i get, the more loud noises get on my nerves.

At Home Depot, it only has a hand dryer. no towels. and usually when i go there it takes 30 minutes to two hours. the bathroom makes so much noise it's like physically uncomfortable. then some precious lil "people" have the nerve to play their own music. and i wanna tell them to turn it off, but fear that they might sexually assault me. besides there is no law that says they have to turn it off. and if there were, then the choices would be to tattle to 911 and to take out a civil lawsuit. no third choice. seriously.

more than once got a headache in the home depot bathroom.

even everyday noises like precious lil "people" talking. and traffic. cars. don't wanna look or hear them. (rolls eyes).

blenders

the older i get the worse it gets.

it's like i can't relax or something.

Vallium
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2017, 1:47 am

I don't have a lot of sensory issues (unless you count me hating vacuums), but as far as communication goes I do have trouble sending and receiving information.

A lot of the time I don't hear people at first, I have to ask them to repeat themselves and strain to listen.

In fact, in a test a teacher did for me in a tutoring program once she read a story aloud and I had to listen to the details and recall information from the story. My recall was so poor despite having tried to listen attentively, I could responded mostly by saying "I don't know"

I find my lack of ability to understand speech increases in a noisier environment with other talking or sounds. It's infuriating!

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 9:03 am

I have a problem with three senses so far:

Bright morning sunlight is very hard on my eyes. I walk to work each day and it is difficult for me to walk into the sunlight, but I have to to get to my job. There are times I literally cannot see due to how bright the sunlight is. My glasses are the tinted kind, but that only helps so much. I sometimes have this issue at dusk also. If the sun is far enough of an angle overhead, it is not an issue for me.

Unfortunately, I live near a freight train station. While walking to work, it is common for freight trains to blast their air horns multiple times. If I am far enough away (3 blocks or more), I can stand it. However, it is not fun for me when they are less than that. I have to hold my ears with my hands and hide behind a concrete pillar to help block some of the noise. What is strange is that other loud noises do not usually bother me. For whatever reason, it is that particular noise that I just cannot stand to hear at that volume level.

In grad school, I went out to a pub with a couple of friends to celebrate them passing a hard cume exam. A group of women that they knew joined us and they proceeded to drink alcohol heavily. (For the record, I am allergic to alcohol and basically just went to watch people.) Well, one of the women (an attractive one) started clinging onto me for some reason, trying to give me hugs in her drunken state. I do not like to be touched by strangers this way, especially drunk ones. It makes me feel very unclean for some reason. I left the party shortly afterwards and got a lot of grief from my friends about not staying longer.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
^^ Man....before you knew you were autistic, I can imagine how frustrating lots of that stuff must have been.

When I was 18, I told myself that I would never let anybody bully me again. Except for a few incidents (when I was 18), I never got bullied again. I told myself I was a grown man, and not a kid, and would not tolerate kids stuff, because I was a grown man.

My sensory issues are what led me to discover autism lol. They were getting a lot worse, and I had no clue why I couldn't stand hugs anymore, or why the fire alarm felt so much louder than it did before. I searched for months, until I found one picture in Google Images that had some symptoms of autism on it, and I knew then that that was it.

I'm sorry you got bullied a lot during your childhood. It's great how you never got bullied again, though :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:51 am

1Biggles1 wrote:
Bright lighting especially flouros, spin me out and can make me nauseous.

Shops, Always hated going into shops, have got a little better but even supermarket shopping will try and time it for about 3pm here as that is the quietest time or about an hour before closing.

Same as Kraftie, when more than one person is talking at the same time... grrrr

Social groups. Prefer one on one...

Phones

Door knocking.

Loud bikes,

Pub emptying out bottles.

cant have a conversation when there is music in the background. Just kind of see the lips move but nothing registers.

This one is a bit weird but the thought of tooth brushing or seeing someone brush their teeth sends weird shivers all over me.

Scratchy clothes labels. Used to rip them out of my clothes when younger, even went as far as seeing a friend that had a label out i would go over and rip it out with my teeth.. Sounds bad but did it in a joking way and didnt seem to upset anyone, as they kinda laughed... Dont do that now, but nothing worse than being in a que and the person in front has a label sticking out... It is sooo tempting! lol

Certain fabrics like rough wool... When in army cadets most tops were made of this horrid wool, felt like i had fleas biting me all over my torso.

Certain perfumes make me nauseous.

Heat.. Has become a mind over matter thing. But when younger at home used to leave the windows open even during the English winters. Mom used to come and wake me up in a winter coat. She always tried to turn the bedroom radiator on which peeved me off a little! Always politely asked her not to do it.

Certain colours on over head projectors used to look very fuzzy to me and unable to read them.

People turning up without prior notice! ahhh

Eating in front of people or going to restaurants.

Being stuck in the middle of two people on a plane. Will always try to get an isle seat if possible.

Coffee. Still drink the stuff, but increased anxiety, shakes, nausea etc

I am sure there are more but again have had no sleep and those were off the top of the noggin.

Wow! I can relate to what you said about shops- those are very overwhelming. I don't drink coffee, but I wonder what would happen if I did.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:53 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
EverythingAndNothing wrote:
My worst ones are smells and sounds. Perfumes and cigarette smoke make my head feel like it's about to explode. Also, the sound of the spray bottle and scissors during a haircut completely sets me on edge and has made me jump out of the salon chair mid-haircut on multiple occasions.

One of the most awful sounds to me, though, is the sound of breathing. I have to sleep with a loud fan right next to my head so I can fall asleep without hearing myself breathe. When I moved in with my partner a few years ago, I realized this was weird and I tried to stop doing it but I ended up barely sleeping for the next 8 months and I finally had to accept it as a necessity.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

the older i get, the more loud noises get on my nerves.

At Home Depot, it only has a hand dryer. no towels. and usually when i go there it takes 30 minutes to two hours. the bathroom makes so much noise it's like physically uncomfortable. then some precious lil "people" have the nerve to play their own music. and i wanna tell them to turn it off, but fear that they might sexually assault me. besides there is no law that says they have to turn it off. and if there were, then the choices would be to tattle to 911 and to take out a civil lawsuit. no third choice. seriously.

more than once got a headache in the home depot bathroom.

even everyday noises like precious lil "people" talking. and traffic. cars. don't wanna look or hear them. (rolls eyes).

blenders

the older i get the worse it gets.

it's like i can't relax or something.

My auditory sensitivities get worse under stress, and I'm under stress almost all of the time, so I can relate.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:57 am

SaveFerris wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I have a good amount of difficulty when more than one person is talking to me at a time.

Yep , I have a real problem with this but I'm not sure if I've always had it or it was minor and got worse with age. It doesn't even have to be another person sometimes background noise of a TV or Radio also makes it difficult. It's like my brain doesn't want to filter out anything and tries to process everything at once , it's like I can't choose what my mind wants to listen too. I have other sensory issues but I can live with them. I once had two people just talking at me about different subjects as if the other person wasn't even there , I thought my brain was going to implode :skull:

Why do people talk over one another? Can't they see that another person is talking to you?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:05 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
I have a problem with three senses so far:

Bright morning sunlight is very hard on my eyes. I walk to work each day and it is difficult for me to walk into the sunlight, but I have to to get to my job. There are times I literally cannot see due to how bright the sunlight is. My glasses are the tinted kind, but that only helps so much. I sometimes have this issue at dusk also. If the sun is far enough of an angle overhead, it is not an issue for me.

Unfortunately, I live near a freight train station. While walking to work, it is common for freight trains to blast their air horns multiple times. If I am far enough away (3 blocks or more), I can stand it. However, it is not fun for me when they are less than that. I have to hold my ears with my hands and hide behind a concrete pillar to help block some of the noise. What is strange is that other loud noises do not usually bother me. For whatever reason, it is that particular noise that I just cannot stand to hear at that volume level.

In grad school, I went out to a pub with a couple of friends to celebrate them passing a hard cume exam. A group of women that they knew joined us and they proceeded to drink alcohol heavily. (For the record, I am allergic to alcohol and basically just went to watch people.) Well, one of the women (an attractive one) started clinging onto me for some reason, trying to give me hugs in her drunken state. I do not like to be touched by strangers this way, especially drunk ones. It makes me feel very unclean for some reason. I left the party shortly afterwards and got a lot of grief from my friends about not staying longer.

I get what you're saying about the sun. Some days I literally just close my eyes shut as tight as I can because it's blinding.

Maybe the pitch of the noise of the train bothers you? Or it could be because it's an unexpected loud noise- I have great difficulty with those. It's one reason why I hate the fire alarm so much. I am just not prepared for it to go off.

That sounds horrible- I hate being touched by strangers. If somebody does hug me or something, all I feel is pain. I get a lot of grief from friends because I dress in comfortable instead of "fashionable" clothing.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:09 am

:|

Vallium wrote:
I don't have a lot of sensory issues (unless you count me hating vacuums), but as far as communication goes I do have trouble sending and receiving information.

A lot of the time I don't hear people at first, I have to ask them to repeat themselves and strain to listen.

In fact, in a test a teacher did for me in a tutoring program once she read a story aloud and I had to listen to the details and recall information from the story. My recall was so poor despite having tried to listen attentively, I could responded mostly by saying "I don't know"

I find my lack of ability to understand speech increases in a noisier environment with other talking or sounds. It's infuriating!

I know what you mean. It sounds like it could be an auditory processing problem, which is actually sometimes considered a sensory issue. Look up CAPD. It often goes alongside ASD. What is interesting is I have pretty decent hearing, but I'm the one who is always like "What did you just say" in a conversation :D .

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:21 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Why do people talk over one another? Can't they see that another person is talking to you?

I think for a lot of people is down to poor manners but there are other reasons.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:25 am

And yet they get mad at autistics for having poor social skills.......

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:37 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
And yet they get mad at autistics for having poor social skills.......

Luckily I have never witnessed anyone going mad at me for poor social skills

TBH I actually suspect one of the people in my example of being on the spectrum and the other is their partner.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:40 am

People don't usually get mad at me; sometimes they just think I'm weird or serious :D .

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:47 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
People don't usually get mad at me; sometimes they just think I'm weird or serious :D .

Yeah I have been told I come across as too serious sometimes but I embrace weird it's never a negative for me

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:49 am

Being weird is never a bad thing :D . My teacher always called me serious, but laughed when I wore a Mickey Mouse watch lol.