Hypnotherapy for anxiety/phobia/addiction?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:50 pm

Has anyone had hypnotherapy for anxiety, phobias or addiction, etc.?

If so, was it successful?
Why/why not?

If you haven't had it, is it something you would consider?
Why/why not?

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:47 pm

I tried it but my anxiety/ptsd stopped me from being able to relax and get into it :roll: I'm about to start EMDR. Don't know if it will work but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 12:12 am

Some hypnotherapists will give you preliminary recordings to listen to prior to the actual sessions to help you become more accustomed to the whole process.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 5:24 am

I had hypnotherapy for my sleep disorder a few years ago. It did absolutely nothing except cost me $50 an hour.

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2017, 7:02 pm

I went sometimes but my hypnotherapist, refused to continue the sessions cause she tough it would trigger me to do something crazy. I never understand that. Anyway she had prejudice on me cause I don't believe in god the same way she do. Its like she want to brainwash me with religion.

Special Interest: memes

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

Well I saw a trauma therapist for a time, and it wasn't really hypnotherapy...It was simular to EMDR which is eye movement desenitization...but what I did was a little different, it was more a device with a feedback button that vibrated and may have had headphones, for some reason can't quite remember right now. But yeah the idea was to release past trauma rather than trying to analyze all the causes for it. I was very skeptical at first but it has seemed to help. I mean still not hypnotherapy but certainly was kind of based on putting your mind in a state you could realize what it was that was getting to you...so perhaps a little simular.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 9:31 pm

I think it is well worth looking into. My first Councillor thought about it but confessed she didnt think she would be able to put me under. Not sure why, maybe just being aware of everything and maybe not wanting to give into suggestion. It can be effective.. Just have to watch some of Derren Browns videos to see how effective it is and how easy the general populous are susceptible to suggestion... I think it is an individual thing but again something worth looking into... Might even try and find someone myself and give it a go. Have found the topic interesting for a number of years.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 9:51 pm

1Biggles1 wrote:
Just have to watch some of Derren Browns videos to see how effective it is and how easy the general populous are susceptible to suggestion...

I'm not sure Derren Brown is a good example as I think a lot of his show is entertainment and hints that it's all staged.
Unless your talking about videos that just involve therapy which I haven't seen.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:06 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:
Just have to watch some of Derren Browns videos to see how effective it is and how easy the general populous are susceptible to suggestion...

I'm not sure Derren Brown is a good example as I think a lot of his show is entertainment and hints that it's all staged.
Unless your talking about videos that just involve therapy which I haven't seen.

No, his shows are very much not staged in the sense of having shills. He is very genuine and in essence shows how easy ones mind can be put under and also influenced for short and long term. Even though his shows are of entertainment value much of what he does can be very thought provoking. Including how he influenced an entire village to believe in a made up story about a dog and touching it bringing good luck. Through power of suggestion many people started to fall for that and felt lucky and happier. So yes i think he shows some very good positive examples of suggestion and hypnosis.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm

1Biggles1 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:

No, his shows are very much not staged in the sense of having shills. He is very genuine and in essence shows how easy ones mind can be put under and also influenced for short and long term. Even though his shows are of entertainment value much of what he does can be very thought provoking. Including how he influenced an entire village to believe in a made up story about a dog and touching it bringing good luck. Through power of suggestion many people started to fall for that and felt lucky and happier. So yes i think he shows some very good positive examples of suggestion and hypnosis.

OK , that maybe so , I might have him pegged wrong OTOH he is a person that I would not want anyway near me or touching me :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I saw a trauma therapist for a time, and it wasn't really hypnotherapy...It was simular to EMDR which is eye movement desenitization...but what I did was a little different, it was more a device with a feedback button that vibrated and may have had headphones, for some reason can't quite remember right now. But yeah the idea was to release past trauma rather than trying to analyze all the causes for it. I was very skeptical at first but it has seemed to help. I mean still not hypnotherapy but certainly was kind of based on putting your mind in a state you could realize what it was that was getting to you...so perhaps a little simular.

Do you mean neurofeedback?
I've read some articles on that as well.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:06 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:

OK , that maybe so , I might have him pegged wrong OTOH he is a person that I would not want anyway near me or touching me :lol:

Even though he is good, i hold similar view. Wouldn't want him too close to me either! haha Unless for clinical reasons.