Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2017, 9:59 am

I was wondering if anyone else here tends to have vivid visual hallucinations at night when their eyes are closed. Anyway, I tend to see really vivid and often gorgeously ornate animation and cartoons that are often my own characters, these animations being sometimes as insane as the Pink Elephants on Parade or Heffalumps and Woozles bits from Dumbo and Winnie the Pooh respectively, sometimes nothing more than simple SpongeBob and Patrick Star walk cycles. Sometimes they'll resemble old R. Crumb underground comix as well. I have never done LSD or any other hallucinogens but I take Trazodone and used to take Seroquel and took Saphris before that so maybe these medications are the only reason this happens. Like I said, this only occurs when my eyes are closed, and as soon as I open my eyes, the animations instantly go away. Much of the time, the "screen" in my head will go black at the end of one animation and another one will usually take its place (unless they stop entirely which also happens). I highly enjoy this and see no reason to stop them from happening, I'm just curious about them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:10 am

Not sure its a hallucination if it only occurs when your eyes are closed...seems more like a visualization, I've just always thought you had to perceive things with your eyes open for it to be a hallucination. Also with LSD it doesn't really cause you to have hallucinations of things that aren't there at all, it more changes how things look.

Either way doesn't seem like anything to be concerned about, especially if you enjoy it...and can make it stop at will by opening your eyes.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:15 am

I have something similar happen but not to the intensity you describe , it's more like shapes and patterns and very little colour ( more like shades of black ) , it's a bit like cloud watching in that you can sort of make it to seem like something else. I'm pretty sure I can still see my eye floaters when my eyes are closed so it might have something to do with that and you can sometime change what your seeing by closing your eyes tighter .

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:19 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also with LSD it doesn't really cause you to have hallucinations of things that aren't there at all, it more changes how things look.

I have definitely seen things that were not there on LSD but your right the majority of LSD hallucinations are just a skewed perspective of something

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:36 am

JohnnyLurg wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else here tends to have vivid visual hallucinations at night when their eyes are closed. Anyway, I tend to see really vivid and often gorgeously ornate animation and cartoons that are often my own characters, these animations being sometimes as insane as the Pink Elephants on Parade or Heffalumps and Woozles bits from Dumbo and Winnie the Pooh respectively, sometimes nothing more than simple SpongeBob and Patrick Star walk cycles. Sometimes they'll resemble old R. Crumb underground comix as well. I have never done LSD or any other hallucinogens but I take Trazodone and used to take Seroquel and took Saphris before that so maybe these medications are the only reason this happens. Like I said, this only occurs when my eyes are closed, and as soon as I open my eyes, the animations instantly go away. Much of the time, the "screen" in my head will go black at the end of one animation and another one will usually take its place (unless they stop entirely which also happens). I highly enjoy this and see no reason to stop them from happening, I'm just curious about them.

I get that sometimes too- mostly when I'm really tired. I think it's your brain preparing to enter the "dream state". That also explains why some people actually see/hear/feel things before they fall asleep. What you describe sounds more like visualizations. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2017, 11:03 am

I was also curious if AS people tend to have these more frequently than NTs.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:29 am

JohnnyLurg wrote:
I was also curious if AS people tend to have these more frequently than NTs.

I can't think of any reason why it would be linked to AS :roll:

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2017, 12:57 pm

Those are closed-eye hallucinations. Some medications can cause them, but they also occur naturally. That fuzzy TV-static stuff most people see when they close their eyes is an example, but there are different levels, some more complex than others. You can see shapes, or colors, or patterns - even images. I primarily see motion, and it's not limited to when I start to fall asleep, either. It happens more often when I'm stressed during the day. Personally, I've always believed that it's linked to ND, since I and my older sister (whose Aspie traits are strong) have them to a greater extent than our other siblings. I don't know of any studies done on the subject, though.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2017, 2:17 pm

AceofPens wrote:
Those are closed-eye hallucinations. Some medications can cause them, but they also occur naturally. That fuzzy TV-static stuff most people see when they close their eyes is an example, but there are different levels, some more complex than others. You can see shapes, or colors, or patterns - even images. I primarily see motion, and it's not limited to when I start to fall asleep, either. It happens more often when I'm stressed during the day. Personally, I've always believed that it's linked to ND, since I and my older sister (whose Aspie traits are strong) have them to a greater extent than our other siblings. I don't know of any studies done on the subject, though.

ND?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 2:26 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
AceofPens wrote:

ND?

I think he means neurodiversity, but I'm not quite sure?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

enbalmed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2017, 2:56 pm

There's a couple of different phenomena mentioned in this thread - these are closed eye halloucinations, not mechanical phosphene patterns (caused by putting pressure on the eye). There's also another phosphene pattern that is probably the result of neurological processes. Phosphenes are just a name for the light that you perceive that isn't created by photons hitting your eye.

Specific to the OP - I can't remember where I read this now, but I recall it was something to do with the neurophysiology of falling asleep - that the brain goes through 4 distinctive states before it reaches sleep, and they can be observed if you stay aware during the process - The first is the typical state when you're eyes have just been closed, this gradually moves to a second state with vivid swirling phosphene patterns, the third state is an abrupt transition to blackness, eventually moving into the fourth where you percieve the black state evaporating and start seeing dream visuals. This whole process takes a few minutes, but I wonder if it is what you're experiencing.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2017, 5:47 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
AceofPens wrote:

ND?

Stampysquiddyfan's right; I meant neurodivergence. Another forum I'm on uses the two interchangeably. Sorry for the confusion.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 5:52 pm

Sorry- I called you a he. I meant she :D

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:01 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else here tends to have vivid visual hallucinations at night when their eyes are closed. Anyway, I tend to see really vivid and often gorgeously ornate animation.

Indeed, I experience the same. Particularly, when I am over-tired. And, if I dont sleep, enough, or, at all, for a period of a couple days, I experience similar hallucinations while my eyes are open, of which, tend to be somewhat, more vivid, and a bit on the bizarre side. Sometimes I can almost control the direction they go in and I find this fascinating.

Last edited by Britte on 22 Jul 2017, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2017, 11:04 pm

Britte wrote:
JohnnyLurg wrote:
Sometimes I can almost control the direction they go in and I find this fascinating.

Same. It's like I can put a little input into their direction sometimes but it's still unpredictable and I love it.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:16 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
Britte wrote:
JohnnyLurg wrote:
Sometimes I can almost control the direction they go in and I find this fascinating.

Same. It's like I can put a little input into their direction sometimes but it's still unpredictable and I love it.

Yes, exactly. And, I wish it wouldn't come to an end, but, it slways does. It is always short-lived. Would be awesome to have the power to keep it going, indefinitely.