Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

stevet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2017, 10:23 am

Can anyone relate or explain to me what this is , whatever I do whether it be a job at work or something at home or even browsing the forums ect once I start I just want it completed or finished with like there's a time limit on it or a big rush on but after I get that thing finished done ect it's not like I had anything else important to do specially weekends at home locked away. I am diagnosed aspergers and have executive function and maybe dyspraxia I also seem to have zero patience when queuing in supermarket line or even waiting for haircut today as soon as i stepped in there I wanted to be out of there is this stress or something else?. This board sometimes freaks me out how some of you folks can identify and talk about specific conditions comorbids ect and know exactly what's happening with your brain,I just seem clueless to a lot of this.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:35 am

Ugh, I get this.
I reasoned it comes from the general habit of the To-Do list mentality. Everything just becomes a chore you need to do in order to tick off, an errand you need to run so it's done, a job you need to get over with. It's actually pretty common, and may be connected to wanting a sense of accomplishment or achievement I assume.
I recently started a new hobby and caught myself doing this. It became just another item on the list to get out of the way, when I had intended it for its own sake, not just as another irritating "job."
I think maybe it's a question of acknowledging this, keeping it in awareness, and then deliberately doing something for its own sake alone, and enjoying the process for the process, not the completion, the finished product, the "done."
That's hard though I know. If you really want to screw with your own proclivities, try doing something you want to do and then deliberately leaving it unfinished. When I read that suggestion in terms of my new hobby I was all - 8O Haven't tried this yet.
As for the self-awareness aspect here, for some of us that takes conscious effort. I'm alexithymic - most of the time I have absolutely no intuitive sense of what the hell is going on, I have to actively work it out.

LarrySellers
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2017, 8:22 pm

I do this. I create a schedule in my head of things I need to do.

For example:

HAircut
Grocery store
get gas

I hyper focus on these things until they are complete. Once I get home and am done for some reason I will flap my hands maybe because I am happy to be finished with them?