Texans Protest Against Transphobic "Bathroom Bills"

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/texans-flood-statehouse-speak-out-against-bathroom-bills-n785336

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 4:23 pm

Here in Washington state, they had attempted to get enough signatures on a petition in order to get an anti-trans bathroom bill on the ballot, even going to the extent of lying about what it really was (in one instance that I know of, they had claimed it was a petition against co-ed school restrooms). Thankfully, they failed to get enough signatures.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 6:58 pm

How exactly are they going to enforce this?, require people to bring their birth certificates to use the bathroom and post a security guard outside the bathrooms to check it?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 7:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
How exactly are they going to enforce this?, require people to bring their birth certificates to use the bathroom and post a security guard outside the bathrooms to check it?

Guess so! Good ol' conservative ideology of limited government at work!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 8:33 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

My guess is the police would respond to a complaint if one was made.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

There really is no way to enforce bills like this. They are just hysteria and bigotry dressed up in legal language. Now that awareness of transgenderism is going up, the bigotry of people who are frightened by progress bubbles to the surface. It's all just fear and ignorance.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 9:16 pm

How would any of you feel if you had a 12 year old daughter and a stranger who looks like Danny Trejo went into a restroom with her?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

EzraS wrote:
How would any of you feel if you had a 12 year old daughter and a stranger who looks like Danny Trejo went into a restroom with her?

I wouldn't care because, chances are they are going in to pee not going in 'with' said hypothetical daughter. I wouldn't care if all bathrooms were unisex. First world s**t anyways, some countries probably don't even have public restrooms in general.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm

EzraS wrote:

Trans women identify as women, so they are not there to rape little girls. Just to pee or poop.
There is a much greater chance of trans women being physically assaulted, or even killed, if they were to use a men's room.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 6:57 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Trans women identify as women, so they are not there to rape little girls. Just to pee or poop.
There is a much greater chance of trans women being physically assaulted, or even killed, if they were to use a men's room.

How does anyone really know who is really what? And I just asked how someone would feel about it, because I was curious. Does someone have to look like a woman to identify as one? I mean take away the mustache, what's the difference? And remember it's not just trans man or trans woman. There's supposed to be 71 genders now. I'm not saying this to be anti trans. But the issue seems more complected than not.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:55 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

How does anyone really know who is really what? And I just asked how someone would feel about it, because I was curious. Does someone have to look like a woman to identify as one? I mean take away the mustache, what's the difference? And remember it's not just trans man or trans woman. There's supposed to be 71 genders now. I'm not saying this to be anti trans. But the issue seems more complected than not.

I don't know of anyone who believes there are 71 genders.
As for who is to know who is really what - - most people are not rapists, and as there has been zero evidence that Trans people go to public restrooms to rape children, we can chalk that all up to Anti-Trans bigotry.
It must be remembered, one of the arguments against desegregation was that black men would use that as an opportunity to go into the lady's room to rape white women. Anti-Trans bills are no more than that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 8:37 pm

Yet another example of social backwardness and sensitivity over what should be a basic human right (to use a public toilet). People who protest issues like this are masking an underlying prejudice and would probably like to see transsexuals not walk in public spaces

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 8:38 pm

EzraS wrote:

In Australia Danny Trejo is known as the "old El Paso dude"

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 9:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

As for who is to know who is really what - - most people are not rapists, and as there has been zero evidence that Trans people go to public restrooms to rape children, we can chalk that all up to Anti-Trans bigotry.
It must be remembered, one of the arguments against desegregation was that black men would use that as an opportunity to go into the lady's room to rape white women. Anti-Trans bills are no more than that.

Look up how many genders there are supposed to be. You're just not familiar with the multi-gender / gender-fluid movement because it's aimed at kids.

And is there no margin between someone simply feeling uncomfortable and raping children? So it's okay for a man to go into a restroom with little girls in it as long as he doesn't plan to rape any of them? Locker rooms too. As long as a man doesn't plan on committing rape, it shouldn't be a problem for a man to hang out in a woman's/girl's locker room. No rape, no issue. Desegregating gender completely is the goal of course.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 10:51 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Look up how many genders there are supposed to be. You're just not familiar with the multi-gender / gender-fluid movement because it's aimed at kids.

And is there no margin between someone simply feeling uncomfortable and raping children? So it's okay for a man to go into a restroom with little girls in it as long as he doesn't plan to rape any of them? Locker rooms too. As long as a man doesn't plan on committing rape, it shouldn't be a problem for a man to hang out in a woman's/girl's locker room. No rape, no issue. Desegregating gender completely is the goal of course.

Trans women identify as women, and so offer no threat to little girls. We have a friend who is trans, and neither my wife or I would feel uncomfortable with her in the same lady's room with our daughter. If anything, trans women could face danger using a men's room, risking assault or even murder.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 11:40 pm

This used to be a non-issue. If the person passed, they used the restroom of their gender. If they did not pass, they used the restroom of their sex phenotype. I think a question that transgendered individuals need to consider is, if you don't pass, and can't pass, is there any point in asserting your gender when the majority of individuals in the world need you to pass to accept you as your gender?

One thing they have done here is, they have changed this...

To this....

And now call them "All gender restrooms".

I don't see the point, personally. I suppose to appear more progressive when they haven't actually changed anything but the sign on the door.