Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 3:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Trans women identify as women, and so offer no threat to little girls. We have a friend who is trans, and neither my wife or I would feel uncomfortable with her in the same lady's room with our daughter. If anything, trans women could face danger using a men's room, risking assault or even murder.

How can you tell who a trans woman is? And why are you limiting to just trans women?
What about:
Agender
Androgynous
Bigender
Cisgender.
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Transgender
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Transsexual Person
Two-Spirit

Which of these genders on the short list get included and which don't without it being discriminatory?

Of course there's no reason why any of them should be discriminated against.

So absolutely anyone should be able to use any restroom, dressing room area, locker room, bathhouse, spa whatever. See I'm not protesting, I'm just clarifying what this really means and includes. Just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I don't know of a man, because the men's room is out of order, or because of a line and he really has to go, who hasn't used the lady's room. Recently when my wife was in the lady's room, a little girl's father had come in because the daughter had needed assistance. In such a case with even straight cis-men, there's no harm and no foul.

Exactly no more gender segregation of any kind. If some bearded homeless ex-convict wants to use either restroom in the children's section of the library that's his right. No argument from me. And I believe that has to be extended to anything else that's segregated as male or female in order for it to be consistent and fair.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 3:49 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Trans women identify as women, and so offer no threat to little girls. We have a friend who is trans, and neither my wife or I would feel uncomfortable with her in the same lady's room with our daughter. If anything, trans women could face danger using a men's room, risking assault or even murder.

How can you tell who a trans woman is? And why are you limiting to just trans women?
What about:
Agender
Androgynous
Bigender
Cisgender.
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Transgender
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Transsexual Person
Two-Spirit

Which of these genders on the short list get included and which don't without it being discriminatory?

So absolutely anyone should be able to use any restroom, dressing room area, locker room, bathhouse, spa whatever. See I'm not protesting, I'm just clarifying what this really means and includes. Just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I don't know of a man, because the men's room is out of order, or because of a line and he really has to go, who hasn't used the lady's room. Recently when my wife was in the lady's room, a little girl's father had come in because the daughter had needed assistance. In such a case with even straight cis-men, there's no harm and no foul.

Exactly no more gender segregation of any kind. If some bearded homeless ex-convict wants to use either restroom in the children's section of the library that's his right. No argument from me. And I believe that has to be extended to anything else that's segregated as male or female in order for it to be consistent and fair.

I never said common sense couldn't be exercised.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:03 am

Cats and dogs, living together!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:11 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What about:
Agender
Androgynous
Bigender
Cisgender.
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Transgender
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Transsexual Person
Two-Spirit

I have a feeling that discrimination can and probably has been called commonsense.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 3:06 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What about:
Agender
Androgynous
Bigender
Cisgender.
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Transgender
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Transsexual Person
Two-Spirit

I have a feeling that discrimination can and probably has been called commonsense.

Then commonsense tempered with respect for the rights of others.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:18 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Actually Ezra raises a valid point. I think this is going to be a legal nightmare
But part of the problem is while Ezra can recognise the multitude of categories - the average "joe bloe" or "Jane bloe" just sees an ambiguous individual

I certainly don't think you make a male to female transgender use male bathrooms or be incarcerated in male prisons

And just what is wrong with a person of ambiguous gender using the bathroom of their choice? Who does it harm to let people choose which bathroom they use? I mean, if I'm in a public restroom and someone comes in who looks ambiguous, it doesn't hurt or threaten me in any way. I wouldn't be afraid. I would just do what I came there to do, wash my hands and mind my own business as I always do. There is no reason to restrict restroom usage to people based on how they look--whatever your junk is or isn't, everybody occasionally has to take a pee and has a right to do so in whatever facility they feel comfortable in. Trying to regulate restroom usage by gender is ridiculous and only ignorant dinosaurs afraid of anything they don't understand (which is most things) try to do it. People trying to argue that public restrooms are suddenly going to be full of sex offenders because we're not properly regulating who uses which gendered room are scared of boogeymen and shadows, not real life. There's no horde of transgender sexual predators just waiting to get into the ladies room, and the idea is absurd and completely unfounded (as well as transphobic.)

No I'm suggesting that M-F transgender should not be "obliged" to use male only facilities - there are obvious risks to their personal safety

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

How many others? You see I know there are others you wouldn't want to extend that to. And I think eventually you'll probably be viewed as a prude, bigot and a hater for that. I bet there are many who would call you that already.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 5:15 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How many others? You see I know there are others you wouldn't want to extend that to. And I think eventually you'll probably be viewed as a prude, bigot and a hater for that. I bet there are many who would call you that already.

Nope, never been called any of those things.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 3:47 pm

Back to the topic, unisex restrooms dramatically increase hand washing. Make the stalls have actual doors, and make the sinks common. Everyone will be more likely to wash up if they might encounter someone of their preferred gender.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:44 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Back to the topic, unisex restrooms dramatically increase hand washing. Make the stalls have actual doors, and make the sinks common. Everyone will be more likely to wash up if they might encounter someone of their preferred gender.

I read a survey about unisex toilets somewhere that females generally feel unsafe in enclosed rooms with males they don't know. For one thing young girls would feel the need to be accompanied by somebody especially in a bar/club where they may be faced with an inebriated male and nobody around to see/witness

On a more practical level there's the issue of smell, male toilets honestly stink, older males have an enormous problem with their "aim"...I don't think this idea will be universally popular

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

On a more practical level there's the issue of smell, male toilets honestly stink, older males have an enormous problem with their "aim"...I don't think this idea will be universally popular

Regardless if it is a gender-specific or unisex restroom, the majority of public restrooms stink nonetheless. :eew:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:24 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Regardless if it is a gender-specific or unisex restroom, the majority of public restrooms stink nonetheless. :eew:

I've been in a female public bathroom in a shopping mall when my daughter was small. It smelt like roses and there was even carpet and decorations near the sink...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

I've been in a female public bathroom in a shopping mall when my daughter was small. It smelt like roses and there was even carpet and decorations near the sink...

Of course it depends on how well a public restroom is kept clean.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

No what I'm saying is there are people with certain sexual preferences that you don't accept, who I believe would say that about you, or rather anyone who takes your stance.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:40 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

No what I'm saying is there are people with certain sexual preferences that you don't accept, who I believe would say that about you, or rather anyone who takes your stance.

The only people who I wouldn't accept when it comes to a sexual preference are pedophiles, and other sex offenders. But then again, everyone, whether straight, gay, trans, etc, would feel the same way as me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 11:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The only people who I wouldn't accept when it comes to a sexual preference are pedophiles, and other sex offenders. But then again, everyone, whether straight, gay, trans, etc, would feel the same way as me.

Right and I agree. But then they can and probably do say that's the same things society said about homosexuality. That's the problem I have with things seeming like they are going overboard with umpteen gender identities and sexual orientations and the list getting gradually longer as time goes on. I see a potential problem for an initially good thing becoming exploited and basically hijacked.