Butterfly

24 Jul 2017, 1:03 pm

13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
The thing is, I never really had much interest in trying to socialize. The topics that others my own age were interested in were never really interesting to me so I mostly just kept to myself anyway. When I did socialize it was usually with adults, often elderly adults actually. Everyone I spoke to as a child told me that I was very mature and "wise beyond my years", but I think this was because when I wasn't talking, which was most of the time, I was listening to everything and everyone, learning all I could. That was how I entertained myself. I now often actively try to socialize, but I'm not very good at it and am painfully awkward.
Edited to add: Well I think I am anyway, maybe others don't do think so, or don't notice, but I feel painfully awkward anyway.

Oh, I know precisely what you mean. Pokemon and Power Rangers were the big things in my day, neither of which held any interest for me. I too found it much easier to talk to adults. They always seemed willing to meet me at my level, something kids my age would never do.
It wasn't until I was about 14 that I actually started making an effort to befriend people. Up until that point, my ignorance of other people's interests and my fear of interaction just far outweighed my desire to make friends. Around that time, someone did a great favor for me: our family's car mechanic, a family friend, gave me the book How to Win Friends and Influence People (in addition to books in leadership by John C. Maxwell). For the first time, I saw written in detail what other people expected in social interactions. I wrote down copious notes and then starting trying out my new knowledge. :P
I'm sure you're not as awkward as you think you are. Most people typically focus on the things they say or do that they wish they could take back. I do it all the time... think about something embarrassing I said, have an approximately five-second long spasm, then don't think about it again for a while. If whoever you were with at the time doesn't mention it the next time you see them, they probably didn't give it a second thought.

Others won't usually say anything, but they do often give me odd looks like they are trying to figure me out but can't quite pin me down. That happens very frequently actually. Also, a lot of the people I try to talk to never talk to me again after the first conversation which is rather disenhartening.

I try to learn social ques by watching at lot of movies (with real actors, not cartoons) and closely observing the actor's body language and facial expressions. I think this helps some but I know this will only get me so far.
I am very good a interpreting body language which is why I am exceptionally good at working with animals and young children, but I think I might be too good at it and maybe this throws some people off?

Yeah, even I as a PhD student who supposedly spends a lot of his time around like-minded people, I only have a limited number of people I feel comfortable with and spend time with often. But that's enough. I can tell almost right away if I'm going to be able to talk to someone freely or not. I've learned not fret over the people I don't hit it off with; I doubt they're crying at home about how they wish they could be my friend, so there's no sense in me worrying about it either. (:

If you're good at reading body language, though, you're a step above me. I'm awful at it. Part of my problem is that I'm not the best at making eye contact, so I often miss cues when they are given. Trying to get better at it, though. Have you always had the gift of reading body language, or was this something you learned?

Hum, good question. I've always loved working with animals but I'm not sure I've always been good at reading them. I think maybe the answer is no, but I realized my deficiencies in the area at a young age and dedicated myself to trying to get better at it. Animals communicate solely through body language, so if I was going to be freinds with them I had to learn that language. Every time I get a new kind of animal I find myself entranced with watching them and how they react with each other and myself, often for weeks or until I feel like I understand them fairly well. I have observed that for most animals, including humans, much of their body language is simmilar to other species so the more I know of one species, the more I know of others. Rabbits in particular continue to throw me off though, so, eh, who knows :roll: ?

That's really cool! I hadn't paid that much thought until now. I guess that would suggest that body language dates very far back in our evolution. Maybe rabbits and we autistic folk are little data outliers in a massively complex web of evolutionary tendencies.

Ironically, despite my inability to read people and general awkwardness, I have a huge passion for teaching and want to do that in the future. I guess working with animals is yours?

Yah, I'd say animals and animal behavior would be my special interest for sure. I also like the idea of tying agriculture and "useful" animals into urban, everyday settings. I think that our reliance on the natural world as a species is far understated and too often taken for granted, especially with the potential restraints on ag that would seem to be very near in the future like climate change and a high global population of humans to have to feed.

13quant13
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2017, 1:36 pm

Valinbean wrote:
13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
The thing is, I never really had much interest in trying to socialize. The topics that others my own age were interested in were never really interesting to me so I mostly just kept to myself anyway. When I did socialize it was usually with adults, often elderly adults actually. Everyone I spoke to as a child told me that I was very mature and "wise beyond my years", but I think this was because when I wasn't talking, which was most of the time, I was listening to everything and everyone, learning all I could. That was how I entertained myself. I now often actively try to socialize, but I'm not very good at it and am painfully awkward.
Edited to add: Well I think I am anyway, maybe others don't do think so, or don't notice, but I feel painfully awkward anyway.

Oh, I know precisely what you mean. Pokemon and Power Rangers were the big things in my day, neither of which held any interest for me. I too found it much easier to talk to adults. They always seemed willing to meet me at my level, something kids my age would never do.
It wasn't until I was about 14 that I actually started making an effort to befriend people. Up until that point, my ignorance of other people's interests and my fear of interaction just far outweighed my desire to make friends. Around that time, someone did a great favor for me: our family's car mechanic, a family friend, gave me the book How to Win Friends and Influence People (in addition to books in leadership by John C. Maxwell). For the first time, I saw written in detail what other people expected in social interactions. I wrote down copious notes and then starting trying out my new knowledge. :P
I'm sure you're not as awkward as you think you are. Most people typically focus on the things they say or do that they wish they could take back. I do it all the time... think about something embarrassing I said, have an approximately five-second long spasm, then don't think about it again for a while. If whoever you were with at the time doesn't mention it the next time you see them, they probably didn't give it a second thought.

Others won't usually say anything, but they do often give me odd looks like they are trying to figure me out but can't quite pin me down. That happens very frequently actually. Also, a lot of the people I try to talk to never talk to me again after the first conversation which is rather disenhartening.

I try to learn social ques by watching at lot of movies (with real actors, not cartoons) and closely observing the actor's body language and facial expressions. I think this helps some but I know this will only get me so far.
I am very good a interpreting body language which is why I am exceptionally good at working with animals and young children, but I think I might be too good at it and maybe this throws some people off?

Yeah, even I as a PhD student who supposedly spends a lot of his time around like-minded people, I only have a limited number of people I feel comfortable with and spend time with often. But that's enough. I can tell almost right away if I'm going to be able to talk to someone freely or not. I've learned not fret over the people I don't hit it off with; I doubt they're crying at home about how they wish they could be my friend, so there's no sense in me worrying about it either. (:

If you're good at reading body language, though, you're a step above me. I'm awful at it. Part of my problem is that I'm not the best at making eye contact, so I often miss cues when they are given. Trying to get better at it, though. Have you always had the gift of reading body language, or was this something you learned?

Hum, good question. I've always loved working with animals but I'm not sure I've always been good at reading them. I think maybe the answer is no, but I realized my deficiencies in the area at a young age and dedicated myself to trying to get better at it. Animals communicate solely through body language, so if I was going to be freinds with them I had to learn that language. Every time I get a new kind of animal I find myself entranced with watching them and how they react with each other and myself, often for weeks or until I feel like I understand them fairly well. I have observed that for most animals, including humans, much of their body language is simmilar to other species so the more I know of one species, the more I know of others. Rabbits in particular continue to throw me off though, so, eh, who knows :roll: ?

That's really cool! I hadn't paid that much thought until now. I guess that would suggest that body language dates very far back in our evolution. Maybe rabbits and we autistic folk are little data outliers in a massively complex web of evolutionary tendencies.

Ironically, despite my inability to read people and general awkwardness, I have a huge passion for teaching and want to do that in the future. I guess working with animals is yours?

Yah, I'd say animals and animal behavior would be my special interest for sure. I also like the idea of tying agriculture and "useful" animals into urban, everyday settings. I think that our reliance on the natural world as a species is far understated and too often taken for granted, especially with the potential restraints on ag that would seem to be very near in the future like climate change and a high global population of humans to have to feed.

Hmm, so what would you say would be useful animals to have in urban settings?

You're so right, though. Farming and agriculture are barely thought of today. With the production of fertilizers and modern technology, a lot more people are able to be fed with less people working on a farm than used to be the case. I have some exposure to farming as my family used to grow a lot of their own food, but nothing like your experiences I'm sure. As part of my homeschooling adventures, I helped train a donkey one summer. In fact, maybe that's where I got my patience in teaching from...

Valinbean
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2017, 2:00 pm

13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:
13quant13 wrote:
Valinbean wrote:

Hmm, so what would you say would be useful animals to have in urban settings?

You're so right, though. Farming and agriculture are barely thought of today. With the production of fertilizers and modern technology, a lot more people are able to be fed with less people working on a farm than used to be the case. I have some exposure to farming as my family used to grow a lot of their own food, but nothing like your experiences I'm sure. As part of my homeschooling adventures, I helped train a donkey one summer. In fact, maybe that's where I got my patience in teaching from...

Lol, I don't have much experience with donkeys myself, but from what I've heard it does take a lot of patience to train one! It would certainly be a good learning experience for many children.

As for "useful" animals, I'm not saying that pets aren't useful, just that they aren't useful in the same way which is why I put quotes on the word. They don't put meat in the freezer :wink: .
Some good "livestock" type animals for in a city would probably be small animals like goats, chickens, fish, bees, and rabbits (yes, you can eat rabbits and the meat is actually quite healthy, plus they produce great compost!). Small animals with a high output to imput ratio that don't necessarily need a whole lot of space. They can also double as a source of fertilizer for the garden. And of course fish can be raised in aquaponics systems that are tied directly in with the "garden".

LarrySellers
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2017, 7:54 pm

I find the opposite of what you said. I find socializing to get more difficult as you get older. People expect more of you.

Are you good at "faking it"? basically socializing like you know wtf you are doing? this might explain you doubting your diagnoses. I can be good at socializing sometimes but most of time especially with people I don't know I am clueless.