Kids watch, point and laugh as man dies.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 9:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Drake wrote:
As in that mentality, laughing at people who die in such a way. Some people honestly believe people like that deserve to die and laugh. But in this case they were there to witness it in person. I don't think that way, but for someone who did, then I don't suppose it would matter whether or not they were watching it live and in person, they'd still laugh and not help because they honestly think such a person should die and that it's hilarious.

Human society has a long history of "social darwinism" where it was morally acceptable to kill people if they deficient, could not function or contribute to society. Despite the horror of genocide, infanticide and eugenics many people still believe today that some lives (quoting Hitler) are not worthy of living. I think these kids reflect an extreme but even liberal open minded people have no problem with i) abortion of a disabled fetus ii) prohibiting immigration/entry of a disabled person or iii) sterilizing disabled people to prevent them from having kids iv) switching off a life support system when the person is still alive

I don't think these boys failed to help out of any ideology or logical reasoning. I think these boys failed to help because they are severely lacking in that which makes a person a decent person.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 10:49 pm

Chronos wrote:
I don't think these boys failed to help out of any ideology or logical reasoning. I think these boys failed to help because they are severely lacking in that which makes a person a decent person.

What makes a person "decent" can be subjective. What I was alluding to was the attitudes/beliefs they have (quite clearly) internalised that a person's life isn't worth saving.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:

What makes a person "decent" can be subjective. What I was alluding to was the attitudes/beliefs they have (quite clearly) internalised that a person's life isn't worth saving.

There are a few occasions where their behavior would not be viewed negatively by the normative society in which the person exists, in the human world.

1. A society with a class system which this man has transgressed. For example, if he were a lower caste individual in some rural parts of India, who did something a higher caste individual took offense to, such as draw water from the village well reserved for higher caste individuals.

2. He was an enemy from an opposing group of people, or viewed as an enemy from an opposing group of people, who ended up on the hands of his adversaries.

3. He was a criminal who had done something considered particularly heinous.

These are the instances I can think of in which a human society would condone such a thing.

I think you will find though, that there isn't really a human society which would condone the actions of these boys in this situation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 1:52 am

Chronos wrote:
There are a few occasions where their behavior would not be viewed negatively by the normative society in which the person exists, in the human world.

Yes this is called moral relativity

Chronos wrote:
1. A society with a class system which this man has transgressed. For example, if he were a lower caste individual in some rural parts of India, who did something a higher caste individual took offense to, such as draw water from the village well reserved for higher caste individuals.

On needn't travel to a resource poor nation to witness this. In the USA any excuse was made to lynch young men (and even boys and women) for "fabricated" transgressions which attracted thousands of families to watch the spectacle, the point was that lynching innocent black folk was "normative behavior" till the early 1960s

Chronos wrote:
2. He was an enemy from an opposing group of people, or viewed as an enemy from an opposing group of people, who ended up on the hands of his adversaries.

extrajudicial killing during warfare - check

Chronos wrote:
3. He was a criminal who had done something considered particularly heinous.

wife killing abusive husband, father killing pedophile who abused his child - check