finding a job after not working for several years.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2017, 1:46 am

i would go in interviews and i can sense that managers are wondering why there is such a huge gap between my last job to current day and i never know if i should bring up why i haven't worked in several years. i don't even know what do say. what do you think is the right thing to say when/if they ask why i haven't worked in certain number of years? should i just say that i just been taking some courses or that i was working with a support worker? what should i do?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 2:27 am

sure, you could say you've been taking come courses, but be ready for questions (or probes) in that direction. try to have some answers ready for the most obvious questions?

of course, it's easier to do if you actually have been taking courses. :) i dunno if that's the case for you.

in my experience, managers are more often interested in why i left my previous job, instead of the gab between jobs. i tell my current manager i left because schedule conflict with school, which couldn't be further from the truth. :skull:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2017, 5:56 pm

If you have been 100% unemployed for several years, there is only one way to go: Be honest.
Say that you have been unable to find a job. Or perhaps you have had some illness that comes along autism: Depression, anxiety or the like. It all depends on what happened in your life for those unemployed years.

You need to be honest about it, but perhaps you may be forced to lie about it, if it turns into a vicious circle: They won't hire you because you have been unemployed for a long time, and so it goes.

I hope you find a way out of it. It would be a could idea to seek help from some sort of social worker or a career advisor. Good luck.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

Do your research on wide gaps and practice interviewing.

AlyssJJJ1
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2017, 3:28 am

I think you can tell them the truth. A lot of HRs are very selective so if you are trying to lie about your job experience they will know about that surely. I can also recommend you to write the right CV (you can try some services like [url=https://[/url] which help you to make the great resume) and prepare the proper interview dialogue. Wish you good luck in your search!

Last edited by B19 on 20 Mar 2020, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 5:51 am

I'd go with the truth as well.

I was recently asked if the gaps in my resume was because i wanted to "explore the world" and "find myself". I've b never had any interest in that and was rather confused why he asked me that. I've always had a problem "selling myself" and my skills, that is why there are ~6 month gaps between my jobs.

For the moment there is a 9 month gap, but that's because i've been depressed and under a tonne of stress. Anyone who has wondered about that, i've told the truth.