Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 10:42 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
When they say "all minorities" they mean some. I don't think we're on their list of approved minorities.

This. Absolutely accurate.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Transgender is not a neurological dysfunction. It can be caused by gender dysphoria

Your brain is supposed to reflect the reality correctly. If you have a cock and think that you're a female, it's a problem with your brain, not with your cock.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:03 am

Romanian PM apologizes for autism comment

Quote:
Romania’s new Prime Minister Viorica Dăncilă apologized Friday for labeling some Romanian members of the European Parliament as “autistic.”

Dăncilă “apologizes publicly for the statement made during a televised broadcast and states that [she did not] want to offend people with autism spectrum disorders,” said a Romanian government statement.

In her first TV interview since becoming prime minister at the end of January, the former Social Democrat MEP attacked some of her ex-colleagues for speaking out against Romania in the Parliament. “These people disinform. They know the reality, but they don’t want to accept it and don’t want to see it. I believe these people are autistic and don’t see and don’t hear what is obvious for all those in good faith,” she said

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2018, 6:21 am

I see lots of people saying "Do something autistic" or Autist. Not sure if it's a meme.

But I'd joke around and say "that's my autism kicking in" because if you can't make fun of yourself then you have a serious self esteem issue.

People often joke about having OCD (when they don't). I think everyone has eccentricities, and no one is truely 'normal'.

If someone is truely being mean and using Austism as an insult, then they won't stop there (they will be hating on everything & everyone), and it's good to just stay away from these people.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 6:38 pm

During my high school freshman year, I took P.E. with a group of boys known for using autism as an insult. I heard them exchanging these slurs with each other when in the gym once, and I let some adults know so that they could keep an eye on them.

To me, the use of autism as an insult is, at most, annoying. It is only a show of immaturity and ignorance. If you are autistic and somebody calls you autistic in a seemingly offensive way, take it as a compliment and thank them with a smile. :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Jun 2018, 12:59 pm

On some other forums I've seen the world Autism used as slang for troll. I've seen mod posts in other's treads "User was banned for autism" & other members have called trolls Autistic.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 10:17 am

nick007 wrote:
On some other forums I've seen the world Autism used as slang for troll. I've seen mod posts in other's treads "User was banned for autism" & other members have called trolls Autistic.

This is getting worse and worse.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

I think this thread is starting to get a little off track and misses the OP's point somewhat, at least in my opinion.

This is about the use of certain terms as insults.

YES, there was a time that "ret*d, ret*d, idiot, imbecile, moron, negro, queer, etc, ad nauseum were all perfectly acceptable terms. Heck, let's be honest, even n****r was commonly used in "polite society." Yes, even here in the northern United States where where the abolitionist movement was born, sometimes even by abolitionists.

It's never the word that's the problem, it's how the word is used.

n****r is simply a mispronunciation of the word negro. It came from the french word negre, meaning black. Southerners often used the word "negre" which sounded to northerners like "neegra" and may have morphed from that to negro. Said quickly it sounds a lot like n****r. Today, not one of those terms are widely acceptable anymore. I find it pretty weird that old movies that used the word n****r a lot to portray ignorance and stupidity in the characters that used them, are now censured so that you never hear it anymore. I find it weird because the scenes where that was done years ago have lost their impact and power directly due to this censorship.

My point is this. Autism has a meaning. It has had a meaning from it's inception. That meaning doesn't change simply through misuse. It can only change when society slowly decides the word is no longer acceptable due to rampant misuse.

Look at the word "abnormal." On it's face the word has a dictionary meaning that makes perfect sense. The only reason a lot of us hate the word is because of it's misuse.

I would ask one simple question.

What word would you change it too that would not then be picked up and misused eventually so that we have to change it again?

Right! Can't be done!

Idiot was a medically acceptable term once. Now it's just an insult.

But what actually caused it to become an insult? Wasn't it society itself that slowly decided we didn't like the way the term was being used so we should stop using it?

What sense does that make? It doesn't stop the misuse of words. Come up with a new one and people will just start using THAT as an insult.

Somebody on this thread said we can't stop people from thinking stupid things and can't stop people from using words as insults. And they were right. The only thing we have any power over is how WE react to the misuse.

Changing the status of a word from "acceptable" to "unacceptable" isn't the answer. All that does is erase all legitimate use of the word, so we have to come up with another one (and usually more than one - how ridiculous is that?) that will eventually be misused and the whole idiotic cycle goes on forever. Then our own grandchildren look at how we used to speak and think, "How ignorantly awful the older generation was." :roll:

I refuse to get on that treadmill to nowhere.

If someone calls me autistic and I know it's an insult, I refuse to accept it as one. I respond as if they didn't mean it that way. And you know what? It works. It makes most people pause and think twice. And those that keep looking at me like I'm stupid don't matter.

Remember, "Those that matter don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter."

Autism means something! And STUPID isn't part of it's definition!

EDIT: OMG, you see? I can't even post the word n****r as part of a perfectly legitimate discussion about the evolution of language without it being censored. :roll: That's just stupid.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 12:26 pm

MrXxx wrote:
My point is this. Autism has a meaning. It has had a meaning from it's inception. That meaning doesn't change simply through misuse.

The attitude of people does change through misuse of this word. And this is the biggest problem. People blame "autists" for violence, sexual crime, etc, etc. Let it go this way, and you get a witch-hunt.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 12:39 pm

XenoMind wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
My point is this. Autism has a meaning. It has had a meaning from it's inception. That meaning doesn't change simply through misuse.

The attitude of people does change through misuse of this word. And this is the biggest problem. People blame "autists" for violence, sexual crime, etc, etc. Let it go this way, and you get a witch-hunt.

I don't agree with that this at all. People's attitudes don't change through misuse of words. Misuse of words happens directly due to bad attitudes that are already there. Changing terminologies doesn't change attitudes. Changing minds does, and that doesn't happen by playing "chase the word." This one's an insult now so you can't use it anymore, now if you want to be polite you have to use this one. People with bad attitudes will just hijack the new term for their own nefarious purposes every time. History shows this time and time again.

What would you like to change "autist" to? How about "intellectually challenged?" Bad attitudes will simply say, "That's just another way of saying 'autist.' Everybody knows they are just ret*ds."

You can't change minds by changing words.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2018, 4:46 pm

It's really prevalent on the internet nowadays to call people autistic/autist when trying to insult them, but rarely does the person doing the insult have any clue what Autism actually is, and so I personally find it hard to be offended by it when it's so laughably off-base.

A thing I found funny in my competitive gaming days, was that Autist was super commonly used to describe somebody who was a bad player, yet it was very clear that people on the Spectrum, like myself, were actually significantly advantaged and better on average in this regard (and highly over-represented at the highest level) , so if anything it should've been a compliment. Similarly, to think that stupidity has anything in common whatsoever with Autism is ridiculous. I mean if you're using it to describe socially awkward behavior or problems understanding other's behavior at least that's somewhat easier to understand, but at the end of the day, just like with any term, its a gross over-generalization because all people on the Spectrum are unique and diverse! :heart:

P.S. a popular meme nowadays is the "autistic screech" written as "REEEEEEEEEE", I'm sure some people might actually do it, but I hardly think everyone does, and I'm pretty sure NTs can do stuff like that just as often.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 6:49 pm

MrXxx wrote:
People's attitudes don't change through misuse of words.

And slander doesn't exist at all. /s

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 6:50 pm

I just saw an account entitled 'Autism WatchDog' on twitter that literally just calls people that it doesn't like autistic because they think the person is acting slow. God, I hate ableism.

Richard_the_ Dogged
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2018, 7:02 pm

Of course calling someone Autistic is an insult. Even if you don't see it as such, they person calling you that is issuing an insult. As so confrontation and obtaining consequences for them is the correct response.

I do not go along with the idea of diability labels or this ~neurological difference~ or ~neuro diversity~.

As I see it, these are only negative, nothing good will ever come from them.

I say we have to build our own institutions, and these kinds of labels should not be in anyway a part of them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 2:46 am

Likud lawmaker’s suggestion that Gantz is ‘autistic’ leads to uproar

Quote:
A Likud lawmaker’s suggestion that Israel Resilience party leader Benny Gantz might be “autistic” sparked an outcry by two politicians with autistic family members, as well as an autism advocacy group.

In an interview Sunday morning on Radio Darom, a station broadcasting in Israel’s south, Likud MK David Amsalem repeated a Likud campaign talking point that accuses Gantz, a former IDF chief of staff, of spending NIS 600,000 ($165,000) of state funds on the traditional send-off party for his retirement as chief of staff in 2015.

Look where you’re taking us,” Amsalem retorted, appearing to acknowledge the point, but arguing Gantz should have known. “It’s as if the chief of staff is some autistic person who isn’t interested, doesn’t understand.”

The comment drew rebuke from Alut, the Israeli Society for Autistic Children and Adults, which called it “sad and disappointing that a senior elected official permits himself to use the word ‘autistic’ as a pejorative, insulting a large population of autistic adults and children, as well as their families. Alut has worked for years to raise awareness about autism, and has significant achievements to its name. Apparently the work is not yet finished.”

Amsalem’s political opponents were less circumspect.

Yesh Atid party leader MK Yair Lapid, whose daughter is autistic, posted withering criticism on Facebook, telling Amsalem, “Don’t mess with me.”

Yair Lapid speaks at the Globes Conference at Jerusalem’s International Convention Center, on December 19, 2018. (Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)
“To him, being my daughter is a curse,” Lapid wrote, “because in Amsalem’s world everything comes at the expense of the weak.

“Benny Gantz isn’t autistic, Mr. Amsalem,” he went on. “You don’t have to stop the car on the side of the road when he has a wild tantrum and bites his mother. He doesn’t take food from the tables of other diners in a restaurant. He doesn’t need to be fully sedated to get dental work. His parents don’t stay up at night worrying about who will care for him when they’re older.

“I’m a politician. I’m supposed to be polite. Not this time. Don’t mess with me, Dudi. Speak nicely about my daughter.”

Labor MK Stav Shaffir, whose sister is autistic, slammed Amsalem and accused the Likud-led government of neglecting those with special needs.

After the uproar, Amsalem released a statement slamming Lapid and apologizing if his words had hurt anybody, without fully apologizing for the statement itself.

As usual, Yair Lapid is cynical about everything. I didn’t mean to insult his daughter, and certainly not the special-needs population. Mr. Lapid, since you don’t know, we’ve been dealing for many years and with great difficulty with the sorts of things you describe with my little sister, so that definitely wasn’t my intention.”

He added: “It saddens me that you’re trying to scrape a few votes on the back of such a sensitive and painful issue. In any case, if someone was hurt by my words, I apologize from the bottom of my heart for that.

MP Ansalem using the neurology of his sister as a pejorative is worse then if he was a rube flinging around the insult of the moment.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 6:03 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
God, I hate ableism.

I'd call it averagism.