Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 9:55 am

I know I personally always had a pretty low alcohol tolerance, at least until the last kid and the last 20 pounds. Now I can drink like a big man.

That doesn't make it a good idea though. There's this very small window I reach with 3-4 drinks and can sustain with another drink every hour and a half or two hours called "relaxed happy drunk". I like to get there once in a while. Before that window, there's "permanent headache." After that window, there's "REALLY broken social filter followed by sicker than a dog."

My dad was an alcoholic (a very high-functioning, very mellow alcoholic-- worst he did was either get REALLY happy and loud or get maudlin and cry-- but an alcoholic none the less). Lot of substance issues on that side of the family. I like my rituals and routines and I suspect I'm very prone to addiction, and I DO NOT want to go there.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 3:16 pm

I scarcely drank at all until I hit 40, though on the few occasions I had done so, I usually got into an alarmingly paralytic state as I had no idea what I was doing.

These days I drink most nights on my own (wine or beer), but try to restrict my intake to around 40-45 units per week. I can actually drink quite a lot now while remaining perfectly functional. I acknowledge and accept the health risks, but feel that the trade-off between those and the sense of mental release which the alcohol creates to be acceptable.

Last edited by DeepHour on 23 Jul 2017, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 3:32 pm

I've used alcohol as a non-pharmaceutical sleep aid since I was 21. I never touch the stuff during the day.

Haven't been falling-down "drunk" since my late 20s. Just get a nice, dull buzz now, and go to sleep.

Hangovers are the result of low blood oxygen levels. If you drink enough water, you won't get them.

Life sucks, then you die
- and it's a lot shorter than you imagine. Don't let anyone tell you how to live yours, the judgemental f**ks. They never know what the hell they're talking about, but they're convinced that they do. Screw them.

There's no grand "meaning" to this existence, it's just a big role-playing game that NOBODY EVER WINS. Drink up.

13quant13
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jul 2017, 3:35 pm

To your original question, I'm diagnosed with ASD and I think my reaction to alcohol is relatively normal. I'm a rather lanky guy, and I start to feel a buzz around my third or fourth drink. Over a night of drinking, ten drinks is fairly normal.

A curious thing I've noticed is that I only ever get drunk when I'm around other people. I've been blackout drunk more times than I can remember, but not one of them occurred when I had been drinking by myself (which is decently regularly). I think I do it as a way to stay occupied without really having to converse with people at a party/gathering. Trying to figure a way to quell social anxiety other than drinking, which happens to be something I both enjoy and is considered socially acceptable.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 3:03 pm

I got my disability cheque two days ago, and the first thing I did with it was go out and buy alcohol. Yay. I've already consumed 4 500ml cans of Strongbow, 8 beers, and roughly 3/4 of a 750ml of 44.9% rum. Feeling kinda sh***y tbh.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2017, 3:17 pm

Well apparently, with me being an alcoholic, I can hold my liquor. I hate those hangovers, too. They're no fun. So I just drank some more to treat the hangovers. I kept forgetting about them every time I drank. But all I cared about was having fun and getting drunk. I've been sober now for 10 months and 12 days. During my last relapse, my body couldn't even handle the liquor anymore. It's like my body just gave up. So now I guess I'm sensitive to it.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2017, 3:44 pm

I'm an alcoholic too, with eight years sober. I tend to build up quite a tolerance and the withdrawal from booze and the resulting over-stimulation on top of being autistic and having cPTSD is a nightmare to be avoided. It takes awhile to feel better after quitting, but ultimately you get a natural desire to feel healthy. Your brain chemistry also improves. And there are rewarding activities that can make us feel good and fulfilled that eventually fill the void from alcohol or other addiction. Over time I've learned to read about and expose myself to things that are inspiring and positive because when I'm spiritually down, sick, or tired I tend to look for quick fixes. (An advert on WP just now started talking over my speakers about 'quality vodka and gin' made without grain, lol).

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 8:48 am

You might be onto something. I can safely say that my own alcohol tolerance is relatively low - I can drink about two beers without getting drunk, but once I start on a third beer, the likelihood of me getting drunk is close to 100%.

Not to mention three shots of Jack Daniel's. That was a mistake I've made sure to never repeat.