Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 12:33 pm

I was wondering if anybody here has played or is playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I am watching a Let's Play on it, and I am thinking about getting it sometime this year. What do you think of the game :D ?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

I'm still viewing through the other games first. Right now, I'm on Twilight Princess.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 6:27 pm

I beat it back in April, when it came out, and it was awesome. I have it on the WiiU, and I'm waiting for the second DLC to come out later this year. The first DLC doesn't sound very interesting.

There's another thread on it over here: viewtopic.php?t=338311

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 7:56 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I beat it back in April, when it came out, and it was awesome. I have it on the WiiU, and I'm waiting for the second DLC to come out later this year. The first DLC doesn't sound very interesting.

There's another thread on it over here: viewtopic.php?t=338311

Was it worth the money?

Thanks for the other thread :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 7:51 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I beat it back in April, when it came out, and it was awesome. I have it on the WiiU

Out of curiosity, how was the performance on that version? I heard the Switch version had some occasional frame drops, but I'm not entirely sure as to how plentiful exactly they were. Any of it going on in the Wii U version?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:08 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Was it worth the money?

Well, I've been a huge Zelda fan since the very first game, so for me it was definitely worth it. But if you're only 13, I'm sure $60 is a lot of money.

whatamievendoing wrote:
Out of curiosity, how was the performance on that version? I heard the Switch version had some occasional frame drops, but I'm not entirely sure as to how plentiful exactly they were.

There's only a few places in the game where the framerate drops, and it's always in villages where NPCs are running around. Originally, they were claiming the framerates on WiiU vs. Switch to be about the same, but after some of the patches came out, they were claiming that the Switch version benefits a little bit more.

It didn't bother me at all, though. I'd say, if you've already got a WiiU, and you can still find the game, go for it. Otherwise, the Switch version might be the better/cheaper option. Also, the physical Switch version doesn't take up nearly as much space on the internal storage as the physical WiiU version.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:58 am

Yeah, it is quite a lot of money :D .

Seff
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2017, 6:16 am

I have been a fan of the Zelda series since the first one, my personal favourite was Link to the Past on the SNES - but BotW is very close to taking over that slot.

I had it on the Wii U, and I have just traded in that console and games for a switch (trade in prices have been dropping for the Wii U recently, so I bit the bullet and went for it)

There were a lot of frame rate issues on the Wii U when the game came out but one of the first patches made it much better. As for the switch version I can't really comment as I haven't got far enough into it yet and I've only played it in handheld mode.

It is a very good game, I know some people complain it can be a bit slow, due to exploration but personally I think this is part of the charm.

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:23 am

Seff wrote:
I have been a fan of the Zelda series since the first one, my personal favourite was Link to the Past on the SNES - but BotW is very close to taking over that slot.

I had it on the Wii U, and I have just traded in that console and games for a switch (trade in prices have been dropping for the Wii U recently, so I bit the bullet and went for it)

There were a lot of frame rate issues on the Wii U when the game came out but one of the first patches made it much better. As for the switch version I can't really comment as I haven't got far enough into it yet and I've only played it in handheld mode.

It is a very good game, I know some people complain it can be a bit slow, due to exploration but personally I think this is part of the charm.

Thanks for responding :D . I've heard about the frame rate dropping occasionally on the Switch, but nothing too bad. I like how big the world is and how many things you can explore as well.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:09 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I was wondering if anybody here has played or is playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I am watching a Let's Play on it, and I am thinking about getting it sometime this year. What do you think of the game :D ?

Very different than the other Zelda games. Lack of heart pieces and there are no hearts to refill your health meter and there are side quests and you get rupees for it or other items and you have to collect ingredients and cook meals to make food to refill your health meter or to make a exilar. There are Lynels in the game and they are the toughest enemies to beat and they are like bosses and the dungeons are real tiny and lack enemies. Also lot of enemies take away chunks of your hearts so one hit can actually give you a game over until you have lot of hearts. Also you can climb walls and tress like an animal but man the rain is annoying when you are climbing. Also the over world is huge and it takes a while to get to places when you first start the game until you start finding shrines and activating them. Then you can use them as short cuts. Also the game is very flexible so you don't have to do the dungeons to get to the castle and you can go to the castle after you leave the Great Plateau and defeat Ganon. I don't play the game anymore because I defeated Ganon.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm

League_Girl wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Very different than the other Zelda games. Lack of heart pieces and there are no hearts to refill your health meter and there are side quests and you get rupees for it or other items and you have to collect ingredients and cook meals to make food to refill your health meter or to make a exilar. There are Lynels in the game and they are the toughest enemies to beat and they are like bosses and the dungeons are real tiny and lack enemies. Also lot of enemies take away chunks of your hearts so one hit can actually give you a game over until you have lot of hearts. Also you can climb walls and tress like an animal but man the rain is annoying when you are climbing. Also the over world is huge and it takes a while to get to places when you first start the game until you start finding shrines and activating them. Then you can use them as short cuts. Also the game is very flexible so you don't have to do the dungeons to get to the castle and you can go to the castle after you leave the Great Plateau and defeat Ganon. I don't play the game anymore because I defeated Ganon.

Thanks so much! Yeah, the person I watch on YouTube had so much trouble climbing in the rain. I know what you mean about the world being huge, too- it takes Stampy (the Let's Play guy) 10 minutes to get to some places! It's awesome how you defeated Ganon :D . Did you do the "Stranded on Eventide Island" challenge?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 8:14 am

League_Girl wrote:
Also you can climb walls and tress like an animal but man the rain is annoying when you are climbing.

It's pretty easy to climb in the rain if you time it right and have enough stamina...although I did have one particular climb that I didn't want to risk losing (the eye of the skull), so I camped out on the edge of the cliff for a while.

I tried awfully hard to start a campfire, but it kept slipping off the edge right before I could sit down at it.

League_Girl wrote:
...you can go to the castle after you leave the Great Plateau and defeat Ganon. I don't play the game anymore because I defeated Ganon.

I went to the castle pretty early and looted everything in it, but left Ganon alone and went back to the rest of the game.

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Did you do the "Stranded on Eventide Island" challenge?

I was hoping that quest would be more challenging, or at least a bit longer, but it wasn't that difficult.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:32 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Also you can climb walls and tress like an animal but man the rain is annoying when you are climbing.

It's pretty easy to climb in the rain if you time it right and have enough stamina...although I did have one particular climb that I didn't want to risk losing (the eye of the skull), so I camped out on the edge of the cliff for a while.

I tried awfully hard to start a campfire, but it kept slipping off the edge right before I could sit down at it.

League_Girl wrote:
...you can go to the castle after you leave the Great Plateau and defeat Ganon. I don't play the game anymore because I defeated Ganon.

I went to the castle pretty early and looted everything in it, but left Ganon alone and went back to the rest of the game.

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Did you do the "Stranded on Eventide Island" challenge?

I was hoping that quest would be more challenging, or at least a bit longer, but it wasn't that difficult.

Yeah, the YouTuber I watch was able to get through the "Stranded of Eventide" challenge pretty easily, and he's still not even halfway through the game.

OrionBadger
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2017, 9:14 am

I have been playing through the Nintendo Switch version, though with the advent of Hard Mode I'm inclined to start my game over completely, additionally, I feel I have not explored as much as I would have wanted to despite being near the end of the story. I want to cover the whole map and do every quest. It is certainly worth the money in my opinion, for the time spent playing and the amount of content given- in terms of scale and number of quests, it's comparable to the likes of Skyrim or Oblivion. It's a really fantastic game with a beautiful world and awesome set of characters. A very positive experience overall!

I am someone who admittedly has had fairly little experience with the Legend of Zelda franchise before BOTW- beyond playing Ocarina of Time on the N64 and playing Link's Awakening briefly on the Game Boy (and Super Smash Bros if that counts.) After playing Breath of The Wild I'm excited to go back and play all of the previous games.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 10:20 pm

OrionBadger wrote:
I have been playing through the Nintendo Switch version, though with the advent of Hard Mode I'm inclined to start my game over completely, additionally, I feel I have not explored as much as I would have wanted to despite being near the end of the story. I want to cover the whole map and do every quest. It is certainly worth the money in my opinion, for the time spent playing and the amount of content given- in terms of scale and number of quests, it's comparable to the likes of Skyrim or Oblivion. It's a really fantastic game with a beautiful world and awesome set of characters. A very positive experience overall!

I am someone who admittedly has had fairly little experience with the Legend of Zelda franchise before BOTW- beyond playing Ocarina of Time on the N64 and playing Link's Awakening briefly on the Game Boy (and Super Smash Bros if that counts.) After playing Breath of The Wild I'm excited to go back and play all of the previous games.

This will be my second Zelda game I've ever played if I get it! Thanks for replying by the way :D .

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:37 am

OrionBadger wrote:
After playing Breath of The Wild I'm excited to go back and play all of the previous games.

Same here, and I've already beaten most of the other games multiple times @_@

This year, so far I've beaten Phantom Hourglass, BotW, (both for the first time) and A Link to the Past.

Still working on Ocarina of Time (ugh), Zelda II, Spirit Tracks (first time), Wind Waker HD (Hero Mode), and a "no sword" run of the first game. I could probably finish them quicker if I didn't keep switching between them.