Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2017, 12:58 pm

So I used to just not understand what was happening and i couldn't identify my feelings..i would attribute my misery to outside causes or other people.

Now i've come to a point where I can identify when I'm experiencing anxiety or an anxiety attack, beginning of meltdown, overstimulation, etc. I can tell when it's anxiety that's gripping me, and even though anxiety can make it hard to think and function, I am able to be conscious of it in the moment and sometimes even identify the cause.

I find that understanding what is happening does lower my stress a bit, but I don't really know how to respond to make it better. I just sort of ride it out, but i definitely still miss out on friends and activities.

I'm wondering if anyone has tips or tricks that you use to address an anxiety attack in real time so that you can calm down and recover and then get back to the activity, party, social setting, etc?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 7:59 am

Might be impossible for some but my coping strategy is using my diabetes to my advantage; if i'm within the normal or relatively low blood sugar range I get constant anxiety, shivering, sensory overload, agoraphobia flares up. Therefore i'm having to play with fire by keeping it high and i'd rather have my organs fail, risk getting blind, or amputated than have anxiety (and headaches that come with it).

This isnt a tip as such, i'm constantly battling between anxiety and depression, as well as my chronic illness and i have no motivation to fight it.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 8:13 am

My biggest way of coping with anxiety is telling myself that everyone will hate me if I am to anxious.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 8:25 am

My father is in the hospital with a grade III brain tumor, so my anxiety is off the charts.

I have a mediation app, and I fire up the Theravada mindfulness mediation. Or I do Tonglen meditation which can be as short as 5 minutes.

My days of Xanax to beat back the crazy are long gone. Too much of a hassle to taper off.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 3:32 pm

Keep a pair of headphones, a clip of the sound of an ocean and a picture of a beach on your phone. Use all 3 as a mindfulness exercise and put yourself on the beach. Match your breathing to the rythym of the waves crashing on the shoreline.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 6:05 pm

I think if my three closest friends.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

Spending time with my cat

Watching cute cat videos

Watching videos of my favorite tennis players, especially Denis Istomin. He is very inspirational to me. He is well-spoken and quite nice-looking, too.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Sep 2017, 3:53 am

Taking the med Buspar regularly helps prevent m from having an anxiety attack but I also take Klonopin as needed if I feel like my anxiety is getting bad or as a preventive med before certain anxiety causing situations. Knowing what things & situations cause my anxiety or make it worse helps me avoid anxiety because I can try avoiding the things/situations or try to find a way to make it better for me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 3:06 am

Most recently, I have been enduring a great deal of uncertainty. What I’m finding to be most effective in the moment, is meditation and focusing on slowing my breath. Otherwise, a quick run, or other form of vigorous exercise helps, immensely, for the short-term.

In my efforts to keep anxiety to a minimum, I am practicing yoga and swimming long distance.

Endling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2017, 3:49 am

It really all depends on the situation. For instance, if I know I will be going to a party or social gathering later, then I will often go to the gym and work out beforehand. When I'm fatigued I know that I will have less trouble with anxiety and exhausting yourself before a stressful event can sometimes keep anxiety attacks at bay.

It's a different story when you are already in a certain situation and you feel an attack coming on. Back when I still smoked I would just excuse myself and say I was going to step outside for a smoke. Of course it was mostly just an excuse to escape the situation. You could do the same thing by saying you need to make a phone call or something.

There are times when you just can't do anything. Like when an anxiety attack creeps up on you when you are on the train or another place that you cannot escape from. Then, like you said, you just ride it out, knowing what it is and that it will pass.

Kimberly Cooke
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2017, 7:41 pm

I have sever anxiety, but, I have to go to work I tell myself that there are other people out there that have cancer or diseases that may die today that somehow, how lil my job is, how lil a kind words may be, I may pass someone, somehow, somewhere, with a kind words, a smile, a hug,a nice word that may stop them from killing them selves, or I may be that last person that they need ,and I got to go out there, I just got to be that ANGEL FOR SOMEONE THEY MAY NEED ME., And I take my alprazolam and GO.... EVERYDAY ! !! !, I can not go out there tho and fight without my alprazolam and buspar.