Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 9:01 pm

I come from a family with a high prevalence of ASD. There are 7 of us. We fall into 2 distinct types. There are the quiet, shy, lacking in self confidence ones who have comorbids and then there are the loud, confident ones who do not have comorbids. I also think these ones all have at least a touch of ADHD which one could argue was a comorbid, but they don't have depression, anxiety etc.
Has anyone else noticed a difference in types? I wonder if being introverted makes comorbids more likely? Not that you can really change a person who is an introvert but maybe it's introversion rather than ASD per se that leads to other psych comorbids. Just wondering.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 9:16 pm

I get what you mean in regards to different "types" of autism. My sister is suspected (by my parents and myself) to have a form of autism or BAP, but she is the complete opposite of me. She is extroverted and has no fear of strangers, while I am very quiet and passive, even though I do love to be around people. Have you ever seen the different sub-categories of ASD? I'll post a link down below- it's quite interesting. As for comorbids, I have OCD, while she has always had traits of ADHD. I'm not sure if introversion is linked to more comorbids, though.

Here's a thread about the social impairment subtypes as defined by Lorna Wing: viewtopic.php?t=30557

Hope this helps :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 9:42 pm

Thanks for the link SSF, The extroverts would all be Active but Odd and the rest of us would fall into the Over Formal, Stilted category. My son has gone to live in Japan because he really likes the rigid social structure. He studies it and it helps him understand what is expected of him and how to behave in different situations. I have to say that I like Japan too for that reason.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2017, 10:48 pm

bunnyb wrote:
Thanks for the link SSF, The extroverts would all be Active but Odd and the rest of us would fall into the Over Formal, Stilted category. My son has gone to live in Japan because he really likes the rigid social structure. He studies it and it helps him understand what is expected of him and how to behave in different situations. I have to say that I like Japan too for that reason.

interesting, In Japan while I did remain respectful in most situations, I kinda dipped into my id when I when I taught class, partially because I needed the energy to keep up with the kids, but also I got more participation out of the kids by loosening the formality, also the teachers started to get more easy going too.

though other times when I wasn't teaching and was formal, my little flaws and quirks where simply tolerated as "he is foreign, its okay." I don't know, there just seems more... 'space' there than here... at least in the social terms. everything follows a nice logic.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 11:03 pm

I've been... In BOTH types. 8O

Active but Odd at my childhood and present -- And yes, no comorbidity.
The opposite back when I had anxiety and depression...

I don't even have a 'touch' of ADHD -- More like a consistent high like mood that resembles hyperactivity.

... I wonder... :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm

I am Autistic + hyper-empath/emotional/overly sensitive (all the things, I've noticed, that make most Aspies want to run for the hills (<-- learned that term from an Aspie friend))

My Father is Autistic/AS with Alexithymia

We are two, ENTIRELY, different types of (Autistic) people. We do, however, have things in common, unrelated to Autism (or, perhaps, related. Hmm, haven't introspected on that, until this moment).

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:04 am

SwissPagan wrote:
bunnyb wrote:

interesting, In Japan while I did remain respectful in most situations, I kinda dipped into my id when I when I taught class, partially because I needed the energy to keep up with the kids, but also I got more participation out of the kids by loosening the formality, also the teachers started to get more easy going too.

though other times when I wasn't teaching and was formal, my little flaws and quirks where simply tolerated as "he is foreign, its okay." I don't know, there just seems more... 'space' there than here... at least in the social terms. everything follows a nice logic.

What did you teach in Japan? I would love to go there to live. My son fits in so well he's frequently asked if he is half Japanese. He does blend in really, really well. One of his special interests is Enka music. He goes to concerts and most of the Enka singers are elderly and so are their fans. He is the youngest by about 40 years and the only caucasian but the people are always really lovely to him. He gets invited to visit them at home to see and listen to their record collections. Japan really is his home. He was unfortunately born in the wrong country.
His Japanese teacher at school was a Japanese person who didn't belong in Japan. She came to Australia because she felt she fitted in here. I think she had a special understanding of my son. Being born in the wrong country is awkward. She always encouraged him and she was the only teacher he went to see after he won a scholarship to Uni in Japan. He swore her to secrecy. He didn't want the school claiming credit for his achievement but he wanted to thank her because she really did help him. She gave him the confidence to try.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:20 am

^ that is a lovely story.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:55 am

bunnyb wrote:
I come from a family with a high prevalence of ASD. There are 7 of us. We fall into 2 distinct types. There are the quiet, shy, lacking in self confidence ones who have comorbids and then there are the loud, confident ones who do not have comorbids. I also think these ones all have at least a touch of ADHD which one could argue was a comorbid, but they don't have depression, anxiety etc.
Has anyone else noticed a difference in types? I wonder if being introverted makes comorbids more likely? Not that you can really change a person who is an introvert but maybe it's introversion rather than ASD per se that leads to other psych comorbids. Just wondering.

That's a great insight you have there.

There is a My Little Pony episode that seems to be about this: When Applejack goes to visit Pinkie Pie's family, she is very surprised to find out that they are nothing like Pinkie Pie. It's a must-watch episode for autistics, I think.

Also, I think that often the active but odd type can also suffer from depression and anxiety, it's just less obvious. I don't know, I always get told how confident I am and all I can think is 'are you blind'? It's more about spontaneity than confidence, and about the fact that jumping into something is often easier than crawling.

I'll say this, though: as a child I was a much more passive type. Sometime during childhood I made a conscious decision to be more outgoing, because I realised that sitting and waiting for people and things to come to me would result in very little. I think I have some ADHD traits that I actually find helpful - it gets me off my ass. Recently I've gone back to being more passive again, but it's not helping me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 1:26 am

I have ADHD as well as Asperger's but I am quiet and introverted. I can be hyper and restless most of the time, but when I'm around people I don't know very well, I act really shy and serious, although still inattentive.

I also suffer with anxiety and sometimes depression. The anxiety is constant and is part of who I am, but the depression is triggered by things, so I wouldn't say I have depression.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 3:54 am

Both me and my dad are the "Active but odd" subtype although I am more introvert (I would say I am about 50-50 introvert-extrovert, dad is 30-70). I would probably be as much of extrovert as he is but I have prosopagnosia comorbid - pretty much everyone is a "stranger" to me so the amount of topics to talk about and ability to understand what they are coming from is limited. I do well with strangers - but with people who know me for a while (but not long enough for me to actually remember their faces - it takes like a month of daily talking) it gets awkward easily.

We have virtually the same personality on the basic level(we both like talking with people etc.) but he has anger issues and I have anxiety+depression. When faced with a change he yells his mouth out(everyone is at fault: me, mom, our cats, the goverment, our house, our city) and seeks people to be his listening board while I cry a lot, want to be left alone and try to prepare for every possibility.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:02 am

This is very interesting bunnyb. It seems like what you're describing is basically type a and b personality types in autism. Which is something I have seen plenty of. I'm definitely the quiet withdrawn type who has a lot of comorbids. Some of wich are neurological. As for things like depression and anxietyl, maybe that's due to us quiet ones being more inclined to internalize?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:56 am

I believe I would fall into the Active, But Odd category because of my unusual interests, but I am improving a lot socially with increased opportunities. I want to say, like the tennis player who is the subject of my screen name, "I'm here now."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:23 am

There was a post written about 2014 which detailed the various subtypes of Asperger's/HFA, as reflected in how they manifested. It wasn't a purely scientific assessment; there was subjectivity in it--but it made sense to me.

This person detailed at least eight types--which, from experience, "rang a bell."

I wish I could find that post.

For the most part, I fit, pretty well, the "Aspergian" mode. The only "problem": I spoke very late.

If you read "Elijah's Cup," there is a person similar to me portrayed: classically autistic when very young, "Aspergian" later.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:31 am

bunnyb wrote:

No problem :D .

Yeah, I think I would fit into either the stilted or passive category as well. Japan seems like a very nice place to live- I hope your son is doing well there.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 10:27 am

bunnyb wrote:
I wonder if being introverted makes comorbids more likely?

I, too, have several family members with ASD, and this doesn't seem to be the case (with US, anyway). I am extroverted, and have Asperger's, ADHD, Tourette's, Anxiety, Face Blindness, Seizures, CAPD, and more----and, I have ASD family members who are extroverted, and ones that are introverted, and ALL of us have comorbids (the most common ones, with us, are: ADHD [even introverted ones, have this], Anxiety [and/or Depression], and seizures).