Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:39 pm

I like dogs and i also like training them (and i am good at training them).

I am considering buying a dog (puppy) and training him/her to be a service dog. Depending on where i live i would either do it completely on my own (with the help of books/the internet), with a trainer or with an official organisation.

The plan would be that i would train him myself (and maybe with the help of someone else too).

I have an interest in dogs, service dogs especially.

Is anyone else planning on getting/training a service dog?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 8:47 pm

I'm not planning on getting one anytime soon, but I think it's a really great idea :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:13 pm

no i am totally afraid of dogs.

a dog bit me last year.

it is so inconvenient to be afraid of dogs. go outside and within minutes, encounter a dog.

plenty of owners have the nerve to let the dogs off leash. the owners have big egos. Leash Law.

some owners act so innocent. like "she won't bite. she's so cute." and then they smile indulgently. :roll:

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 10:36 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

a dog bit me last year.

it is so inconvenient to be afraid of dogs. go outside and within minutes, encounter a dog.

plenty of owners have the nerve to let the dogs off leash. the owners have big egos. Leash Law.

some owners act so innocent. like "she won't bite. she's so cute." and then they smile indulgently. :roll:

Being afraid of dogs can be one of the most debilitating phobias/fears (because there are so many dogs).

If you arent already i would recommend to recieve professional help to deal with your fear of dogs.

I dont know where you live but service dogs (note that service dogs dont have to have a "SERVICE DOG" vest on them are allowed to be off leash). If you are in the woods i think it is okay to have a dog off leash as long as you have control over your dog (and make sure that birds or other wild life isnt nesting near by).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 11:43 pm

I think autism service dogs are a wonderful idea. I wish I could qualify for one.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 11:51 pm

It's been looked into for me. But I decided I'm enough for my parents to have to take care of without adding taking care of a a dog to it. Maybe when I'm older and more on my own.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:33 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think autism service dogs are a wonderful idea. I wish I could qualify for one.

Depending on where you live you can train your own.

Even if they wont legally be a service dog you can still train them to do all the stuff that helps you.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:43 am

sometimes when people say "she doesnlt bite", or "she's nice", they're right.

but other times it's a boldfaced lie, which one is right to watch out for.

i definitely don't qualify for one, and i hardly think it'd be much good for me anyway, but i support the idea for those it ca help.

there are a few dogs around which i am uncomfortable, but it helps knowing that if i am ever attacked, they could be put down and i'd have the last laugh. which is sick, and i know. unapologetically.

what makes me wary is the fact that training and conditioning can never completely override an animal's primal instincts, and sometimes there are things that people do that can unknowingly break the conditoning, and trust in both parties is hurt.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 2:08 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

a dog bit me last year.

If you became more familiar with dogs, you might be able to better anticipate how they are going to act and determine which dogs are threats and which aren't. Their behavior is generally not random.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:07 pm

Being afraid of dogs can be one of the most debilitating phobias/fears (because there are so many dogs).

If you arent already i would recommend to recieve professional help to deal with your fear of dogs.

I dont know where you live but service dogs (note that service dogs dont have to have a "SERVICE DOG" vest on them are allowed to be off leash). If you are in the woods i think it is okay to have a dog off leash as long as you have control over your dog (and make sure that birds or other wild life isnt nesting near by).[/quote]
____________________________________________________________________________________________

yeah i know, huh. at least two former precious lil "friends" told me they loved dogs, & they were afraid of needles (shots) and rollercoasters. how convenient. how often does someone physically hold you down and stab you? how often does someone drag you on a rollercoaster? not too often. and if they did you could take a videotape and tattle to 911. or file a civil lawsuit.

yeah, discussed fear of dogs with the current counselor. been under her for the past nine months. the insurance pays for 3 more months. at the rate of once every other week. fewer than 10 more sessions. and then no more counseling. :lol: unless, of course pay more money.

anyways, looked at classes about :P dog handling :!: . found an organization that offers dog handling classes. but they cost $$. just like almost everything else in "life".

and as usual, ain't got no job, and no job skills. ain't got no inheritance. too ugly to marry someone that does have $$ or that earns enough $$ to live off of.

on the other hand, daily "life" contains so many dogs. on leash and off leash. that it does not make that much sense to purposely go out of your own way to go looking for dogs. anyways.

not all dogs that have chased after, barked at, and et cetera, me, were "service dogs".

anyways i ain't in the woods. urban/suburban. sometimes i go to parks. but parks like playgrounds. and they are not "off leash" areas anyways.

you think it is okay to take your dog off leash in the woods. and you are not the only one that thinks that.

while i think it ain't okay to take your dog off leash anywhere unless it is legally an "off leash" area. (signs posted by the government indicating off leash area). and i am not the only one that thinks that.

so, whose desires take precedence, the desires of the dog owners/dogs for the dogs to go off leash, or :ninja: the desires of former dog bite victims?

seriously though.

what am i supposed to do, take a videotape and tattle on every dog owner that has the nerve to take his/her precious lil dog off leash, in an on leash area? if i did that, then the authorities would tell me to stop calling. and they might tell me i was making a prank call. and then fine me $$. certainly, it ain't legal, practical, or physically possible, to stop time, every time an off leash dog encounters me. and then tattle.

so as usual i am totally helpless.

:oops:

a former precious lil "friend" had the nerve to tell me "sit on this chair, and she probably won't bite you."

she made it sound like she did not care if the dog bit me. and she made it sound like the dog had a moral right to bite me. and she made it sound like i had to passive aggressively tolerate the dog bitting me.

we had decided that i would meet her on a certain date and time, in her apartment. after me made that decision, she then had the nerve to tell me that she was dogsitting. (they were not even her dogs.) and that if i was uncomfortable, i could "reschedule". and she knew full well that i was/remain totally afraid of dogs.

and then i got there and the precious lil things came chasing and barking at me, as a way of greeting. one dog physically touched me. seriously? if i were to have attacked the precious lil dog, for all i know i could get sent to jail.

no two way street.

:roll:

that's exactly the thing about precious lil "friends".

b/c unless someone extorted me with a gun, or bribed me with a lot of $$, i would never consider dogsitting someone else's dog. nor would i consider getting my own dog.

but i ain't psychic or telepathic. and i ain't got no clue what is going through precious lil "people's" heads, unless they tell me.

and if they tell me they might be lying, exaggerating, misleading, misrepresenting, using figuretive language, or mistaken.

that precious lil "person" acted so innocent. she acted like it was perfectly reasonable and normal for me to expect a dog bite, in exchange for wasting a couple hours at someone's apartment. just b/c she cooked dinner and i ate it.

:evil:

:roll:

:skull:

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:20 pm

i have two dogs and they are not official service dogs but they are both trained to do specific tasks.

Lola, (aged 10, Black Lab/ golden Retriever) is trained to stop self harming behaviours, deep pressure therapy, and retrieve pills when asked. however she is not very friendly towards stranger dogs and small children.

Echo ( aged 1 mutt ) is currently in training, he is also learning deep pressure therapy and most importantly hes learning to follow me and stay by my side at all times. unlike Lola echo is socialized with both dogs, children, adults, and small animals. its just he needs to learn manners

i trained my dogs myself and both do NOT have public access unfortunately.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 10:44 pm

I have a Service Dog. I trained him myself with the help of dog trainers. He does:
• guide work,
• hearing signal,
• alerts to overloads,
• guides away from sensory triggers,
• tactile stimulation,
• deep pressure therapy,
• alerts to self-harming stims,
• searches for me or family members if we get separated, and
• blocks other people or acts as an ambassador (as needed).

It takes a long time (usually 1.5 to 2 years) and a lot of work (socialization, potty training, obedience training, public access training, task training) and maintenance (health, grooming, training, preparing to go out everyday), but, like you, I love training dogs and he does so much to help me.

I probably will not get another Service Dog after my current Service Dog retires though. My Service Dog and I, and other Service Dog teams, are regularly:
• interrupted and distracted,
• asked personal and rude questions,
• burdened with more work because someone ruined the dog's training,
• aggressively challenged and denied access,
• physically threatened,
• and attacked by aggressive dogs who are not even allowed in the business.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:46 am

Good luck to you. I hope you can get a dog. Animals, whether trained to perform specific services or kept as a pet, are wonderful for people who have autism.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 8:42 am

Knofskia wrote:
I probably will not get another Service Dog after my current Service Dog retires though. My Service Dog and I, and other Service Dog teams, are regularly:
• interrupted and distracted,
• asked personal and rude questions,
• burdened with more work because someone ruined the dog's training,
• aggressively challenged and denied access,
• physically threatened,
• and attacked by aggressive dogs who are not even allowed in the business.

What do you mean by "burdened with more work because someone ruined the dog's training"? Can you give me an example?(As that is a point i havent heard earlier).

Although i havent gotten or trained a service dog yet, i have extensively researched it. Thank you for your input.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 8:54 am

ZombieBride,

What mix is your Echo? I think mixed breed dogs (and cats) are the best!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 12:57 pm

IstominFan wrote:
ZombieBride,

What mix is your Echo? I think mixed breed dogs (and cats) are the best!

Well his mother was a Husky German Shepherd mix and his father was ALLEDGEDLY a pure german shepherd however he came out looking like this:

And i saw another male unnuterded dog walking around the area a little before Echo was born (hes a locally bred dog) that looked to be a border collie ( black and white and floppy ears) so sometimes i wonder if thats his real dad or he just never developed perked ears.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com