Tired of Middle-Aged "Adults" Acting Like Trolls on WP

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 7:49 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
LMAO!

First of all, someone calling someone out on their BS isn't "trolling." Trolling is not just when you don't like what someone said to you, particularly if you were being an a-hole too in order to attract that comment or argument.

Second:
You think there's an age limit on someone getting pissed off with another, and telling them exactly what they think of their post? Or that YOU get a pass from that just for being a certain age yourself?

Welcome to the real world, or do you insist on being wrapped in cotton wool just because baby isn't old enough to be told where to go by a big bad grownup who is calling you out on your BS?

Also, have you forgotten that people who are currently "middle aged adults" were the original punk generation who rejected polite convention? Even though life moves them on, why should they put away the idea that they will speak out on someone's BS if they see BS?

I don't have to act like a blue-haired granny. If I see someone being a little s**t I don't care if they're 13, 30 or 93, I will tell them to eff off. I don't care WHAT age they are and you shouldn't care what age I am. And it's not "trolling" to call someone out on their BS. That's not an age issue, that's calling someone out on their BS, I don't care who you are.

Frankly IT'S ME who has been bullied by one of the younger members here, who has been vicious to me and completely disrespectful in a way that should have had the parents warning that person. I've been the one repeatedly harassed with belittling comments by a young member here.

Why should my age mean I'm all lavender doilies, being polite and dishing out candy? There is no age limit on speaking out. In the case of older versus young, we've earned the f*****g right to tell you what you haven't learned yet.

You'll find that out when you get here.

I'm a HUMAN BEING not an age.

Your post is based purely on emotions and irrational thought.
However you feel and your opinions on your rights to feel that way do not magically alter the house rules or how you are supposed to treat people on this site.

Not something that requires further explanation (and sadly, something I thought didn't require any explanation outside of Kids Crater).

Last edited by TheSpectrum on 25 Jul 2017, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 7:51 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
Nah you're okay man. Wolfram is right.
There is no deterring a troll. They keep going until they are officially dealt with.
No form of manners dissuades them and they feed off of any reaction.

I'm not very good at interpreting indirect talk. I'm likely to take it the wrong way, since I get the idea I'm just going to be viwed as an as*hole who's full of s**t.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 7:54 am

EzraS wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
Nah you're okay man. Wolfram is right.
There is no deterring a troll. They keep going until they are officially dealt with.
No form of manners dissuades them and they feed off of any reaction.

I'm not very good at interpreting indirect talk. I'm likely to take it the wrong way, since I get the idea I'm just going to be viwed as an as*hole who's full of s**t.

That's a trait in Aspies, though, so people should be more understanding of it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:20 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
but I decided to be a nice guy instead.

I found the problem.

Explain please?

Lack of line drawing. I'm all for polite, civil interaction, and I can overlook much bad behaviour in the name of civility, as I'm sure people have done for me in kind. But people dedicated to behaving badly will continue to be dedicated to that pursuit unless they face consequences. Such as being reported for their bad behaviour.

Oh okay. This is where I'm showing my clueless side. I got the idea that was a parting shot from them and indeed they went a long time without posting and there haven't been any further issues along those lines that I'm aware of.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:31 am

Can't we all just get along?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:31 am

I think its safe to say that many people will have experienced social traumas or bullying at some point in their lives and are perhaps less standard as a result in their reactions to perceived trolling.
Life is too short for holding grudges ...ruminating on things that caused us upset encourages our subconscious to place more emphasis on the event, the more its revisited the more significant it becomes in the persons reality. After a crisis event this is normal reaction, but if its ongoing the cycle can weaken a person and trap them into a state of victimhood. Quite a human reaction really, although difficulties with emotional regulation shouldn't give a person a free pass to be hateful to others, but dishing out hatefulness to them for it is equally as inappropriate.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:10 am

Amity wrote:
I think its safe to say that many people will have experienced social traumas or bullying at some point in their lives and are perhaps less standard as a result in their reactions to perceived trolling.
Life is too short for holding grudges ...ruminating on things that caused us upset encourages our subconscious to place more emphasis on the event, the more its revisited the more significant it becomes in the persons reality. After a crisis event this is normal reaction, but if its ongoing the cycle can weaken a person and trap them into a state of victimhood. Quite a human reaction really, although difficulties with emotional regulation shouldn't give a person a free pass to be hateful to others, but dishing out hatefulness to them for it is equally as inappropriate.

When someone makes personal attacks on me, I point it out to them. But I don't hold grudges if/when it stops. I'm perfectly willing to let it go and communicate with them on a normal level. And usually when I stand my ground, they finally relent and that's what happens. But then they start back up again like they just can't go without. I honestly don't get this trend with a handful of people old enough to be the parent of someone they go after repeatedly. I'd actually like for someone to explain it to me. Or moderators basically publicly telling me I'm full of s**t and just making it up to attack those people. That's the part that really actually cut me to the core and something I'm not going to get over as quickly.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:35 am

EzraS wrote:
Amity wrote:

When someone makes personal attacks on me, I point it out to them. But I don't hold grudges if/when it stops. I'm perfectly willing to let it go and communicate with them on a normal level. But I don't get this trend of a handful of people old enough to be the parent of someone they go after repeatedly. I'd actually like for someone to explain it to me. Or moderators would basically publicly tell me I'm full of s**t and just making it up to attack them. That's the part that really actually cut me to the core and something I'm not going to get over as quickly.

I believe that being older isn't an indicator of maturity or a base for acquired respect, or that age should be grounds for stereotypical expectations especially with people on the spectrum... sometimes I think the un/pre diagnosed experiences lead people to create unhelpful coping strategies, that doesn't get them a free pass either, its just yet another complicated layer of muck to deal with and try remedy. I guess everyone has their own challenges, and figuring them out can help you to deal with prickly characters.

You started posting here as a child, but even though you aren't one anymore, older people may still view you as a kid, keep in mind the role of a child is subjective to the persons experiences, culture, value system etc. I guess you could call it preparation for life in general, and on the plus side this includes the space and time to figure out how to deal with these types of prickly people, and develop ways to handle these situations in the future, when the stakes might be higher.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:40 am

You know, to nobody in particular, someone mentioned another autism forum recently that I became a member of 3 years ago and forgot about but just logged back onto. Maybe it's just time for me to get a fresh start someplace else. Or probably better yet just give up altogether.

Last edited by EzraS on 25 Jul 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:46 am

^The explanation I wrote is of course from my own perspective, and I could be way off.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 11:33 am

Report inappropriate behavoir and personal attacks to the mods. Because of the size of the user base and software issues it is up to us to police ourselves more then we should have to.

Autism is going to make this more difficult as some members will not have the "filters" then most have. Also since most of us have been bullied and are aware that we are vulnerable to it and sometimes do not recognize is being done to us we are hyper vigilant and see bullying when it does not exist.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 11:35 am

Amity wrote:
^The explanation I wrote is of course from my own perspective, and I could be way off.

it was good.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:02 pm

You're a trip, Ezra....but I'm sure most people here want you to stay.

People just have to get to "know" you. That you have satirical elements to what you say.

You have a role here----maybe it's akin to "smart-ass kid" in some ways----but it's okay.

You've become a visible part of the Forum. We need characters like you. Just like we need people like Kraichauer, Raptor, Darth, ADifferentName, etc.

You should see that cartoon episode where the Wolf and the Sheepdog battle each other during "working hours," but hang out as friends after they punch out from work.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:27 pm

^ That is true.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 5:43 pm

starkid wrote:
Just saw a forty-something-year-old insult a teenager. Also wil@ard or however you spell the username saying that he wants to slap a 21-year-old.

Maybe I expect too much from people. You people in your 40s, 50s, and 60s should know how to behave by now. Completely ridiculous that you choose to express yourself with insults, condescension, and other nasty behavior. Disgusting.

Firstly, SURELY you don't believe that 40/50/60-year-olds, are the ONLY ones who act this way, on here----cuz, I've seen WAAAAY more 20/30-year-olds (and teens, TOO), act WAAAAY more disrespectful, WAAAAY more often!! NOBODY should treat anybody else, disrespectfully, on here, NO MATTER their age----and, by the same token, NO one, NO MATTER their age, should ask to be treated, any differently / better, than anyone else; being an ASDer, is NO excuse, because most of us ARE ASDers)! !

Secondly, what is "insulting", "condescending", and "nasty", is subjective, is it not? I have seen many, MANY times, on here, people who have complained that someone else was being "mean" to them, when what the other person said, was CLEARLY, NOT meant that way, IMO----so, without some quotes (or, URLs), we don't have any context, regarding what you're speaking-about, specifically.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have seen MANY instances, on here, when someone (again, ALL ages), posted in what I thought was a totally nasty way, and it was, by NO means, warranted----but, then, one could CHOOSE to not let it bother them, couldn't they? (I know that's easier said, than done - cuz, goodness knows *I* haven't been 100% successful in letting some things, just roll-off my back - but.....)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 5:50 pm

EzraS wrote:
When someone makes personal attacks on me, I point it out to them. But I don't hold grudges if/when it stops. I'm perfectly willing to let it go and communicate with them on a normal level. And usually when I stand my ground, they finally relent and that's what happens. But then they start back up again like they just can't go without. I honestly don't get this trend with a handful of people old enough to be the parent of someone they go after repeatedly. I'd actually like for someone to explain it to me. Or moderators basically publicly telling me I'm full of s**t and just making it up to attack those people. That's the part that really actually cut me to the core and something I'm not going to get over as quickly.

I realize you weren't talking to me, but I'd actually like to take a stab, at this.....

As for the "trend of people old enough to be another's parent...": The actions of some of the older people, on here, absolutely AMAZES me, when they continually go-after people, the pathetic / nasty / immature way that they do----ESPECIALLY, someone younger----but, here's the thing..... Insecurity knows NO age!! I've said, before, on here, that age means next-to-nothing, when it comes-to all SORTS of things (ie, maturity, wisdom, security, esteem, etc.)----and, that I've seen all kinds of people, who were "kids" (teens / 20s), have a VERY good head on their shoulders, and some people who are 50/60-years-old, who didn't seem to have a brain, in their entire body (on here, AND in-person).

As for the Mods: I don't think it's any secret, that I don't have alot of good, generally speaking, to say about three of the Mods, cuz I feel they inject their own, PERSONAL, feelings, into their decisions; and, though I realize it's not always easy, NOT to, I feel that it's really, REALLY, BAD modding. I'm thinking that the 3 with whom *I* have a problem (and with whom ALOT of others, have problems), are the same ones giving YOU, a hard time----and, I'm asking you to remember, that one of 'em is 50-something, one of 'em is 60-something, and the other one is going-on, about, FIVE (and, ALL of these 3, IMO, are VERY insecure - so, again, "insecurity" knows NO age); so, please don't take it to heart, because ALOT of people (of ALL ages) feel the way you seem to be feeling, in that they are getting hurt by what they feel (and, rightly so, IMO) are unfair / uncaring Mods.

As for your not holding a grudge: You're a better person, than I----cuz, there's one person, in particular, who frequents PPR, that plays almost EVERYBODY, IMO, like a fine Stradivarius (INCLUDING you - and TRIES to play me, but, mostly, I manage to ignore him, cuz he's just too stupid, for words); but, you don't see it that way, and I have GREAT respect for that (that you, IMO, do your OWN thinking)! !